+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Night weaning?

Dd will be 18 mo in a week and has always woken multiple times a night. We happily cosleep and I've always fed her back to sleep as it was the quickest, easiest (for me), and most comforting (for her) option. She shows no signs of wanting to change this arrangement but I must admit I am reaching a stage where I'm wondering if night weaning might reduce the night wakings at all. Can anyone who took a similar approach to sleep arrangements share with me their experience of night weaning? Did your child stop night feeds by themselves? Did you lead it? At what age? How?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We used dr Jay Gordons night weaning method with great success x2.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Night weaning?

We used Dr Jay Gordon's method too - worked really well for DS and definitely reduced night wakings too!

ETA- DS was about 13 months I think.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    We don't co-sleep but DS was 13/14 months old. We day weaned first, then night weaned.

I found that worked for us because he ate more in the day as he was getting no breastfeeds.

Then night weaning we went cold turkey. First night was horrible. DH tried to settle him. He cried for over an hour, but he stayed with him cuddling him and then rubbing his back in the cot. That didn't work but a cuddle from me and once calm, rubbing his back and shhhhushing and after 2 hours we got him to sleep and he didn't wake for the rest of the night. That was the last time I breastfed him.

The following 3 weeks he slept through 75% of the time and has only ever needed a cuddle and a back rub (or on 2 occasions a drink of water) to get back to sleep.

He was ready to wean - it was us that thought we weren't ready. But as we were already getting more food and soy milk into him in the day and had day weaned, they really helped our success. We were left wondering why we didn't try weaning earlier!

Are you wanting to wean all together?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi.

I've just weaned DS. He still has one feed as I just transitioned him to his cot.

Reduce one feed at a time I just talked him through it like no it's ok mummy is still here lots cuddles etc. crying is ok! They need to release emotion. It's not CIO.

Does he have a comforter? If not introduce one.

Also introduce white noise as you can travel with this anywhere anytime! (Parties etc).

It's been a long process I won't lie DS was having upwards of 9 feeds a night but bottles. Send me a pm if you like

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the replies. I don't think I want to wean completely as I am still hoping she'll self wean at some point. I think I'll give night weaning a try though and see how we get on. I've had a look at the dr jay Gordon approach and I like the gentleness of it. That being said, I'm a bit worried that dd might be bit confused by the fact that feeding in the night is okay sometimes but not others. Did anyone who used this approach encounter this? Dd's language and speech is quite advanced for her age so I'm wondering if an approach where I tell her that we only have milk when the sun is up might be easier for her to understand?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BettyV View Post
    Thanks for the replies. I don't think I want to wean completely as I am still hoping she'll self wean at some point. I think I'll give night weaning a try though and see how we get on. I've had a look at the dr jay Gordon approach and I like the gentleness of it. That being said, I'm a bit worried that dd might be bit confused by the fact that feeding in the night is okay sometimes but not others. Did anyone who used this approach encounter this? Dd's language and speech is quite advanced for her age so I'm wondering if an approach where I tell her that we only have milk when the sun is up might be easier for her to understand?
    We had no issues with DS being confused. Do you mean by feeding before 11pm (or whatever time you choose)? We decided not to feed for 8 hours (10-6) but DS rarely woke before 10 for a feed anyway. DS was really attached to his night feeds (or so I thought!) but responded much better than we expected to the jay Gordon method. He continued to feed during the day until almost 2 years.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to sajimum For This Useful Post:

BettyV  (01-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by sajimum View Post
    We had no issues with DS being confused. Do you mean by feeding before 11pm (or whatever time you choose)? We decided not to feed for 8 hours (10-6) but DS rarely woke before 10 for a feed anyway. DS was really attached to his night feeds (or so I thought!) but responded much better than we expected to the jay Gordon method. He continued to feed during the day until almost 2 years.
    Yes the before 11pm feeding is what I meant. Dd would normally have woken at least twice before then.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We had no issues with no feeding 7pm-6am. Both kids got it easily within 2-5nights.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

BettyV  (01-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    If your DD is 18 months I would probably just say no feeding at all until morning.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to sajimum For This Useful Post:

Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (01-01-2016)