+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Gaining weight

I'm thin too and went to see a dietician - save your money quite honestly. I've been thin all my life and other than eating small amounts frequently and using things like a body bulk powder, increasing carbs and increasing physical activity (like gym work/weights) nothing much will put weight on I've found.

I am 168cm and at my lowest was 44kg, I'm now 51kg and the only thing different is I go to the gym twice a week, I only put on weight when I started this. Funnily enough all my clothes still fit, I haven't gone up in size but my arms and legs and well backside look bigger.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to ICanDream For This Useful Post:

preggasaurus  (29-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would recommend a dietician but do your research and find a good one! They can be amazing with ideas and eating plans that are very real/ achievable a and target your needs whether they are weight loss/ weight gain. I lost weight and was to the point if i kept losing she was saying I'd have to change my eating to include green smoothies with nuts and good fats, avocado, etc.
    On another note I have a friend who was similar to you and she ended up being gluten intolerant when she changed to suit she started to hold the weight (still thin) but looking healthier. Good luck!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to KMull For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just a random thought. ..i worked with a young guy who was really skinny despite eating enough and weight training wtc. He said he was sick as a baby/young child so never laid down enough fat cells etc and has never been able to put weight on

6. The Following User Says Thank You to PinkPopsicle For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Thank you all...

I like the sustagen idea.. Along with weight bearing exercise. Off to google...

I was thinking about going back to the gp, but maybe I'll give it another month or so and see how things pan out..

I don't have any money so I won't be able to see a personal trainer, dietitian or anyone like that at all, but I'm going to try googling for some exercise routines..

If anyone has any suggestions or can recommend web sites or u tube clips, I'd be interested. Thanks..

Also, thank you for not making me feel bad. Every time people talk about my weight, (and believe me, they do, both to my face and behind my back), I'm made to feel bad because I'm not struggling with trying to lose it like everyone else. It's made me feel isolated and as if I can't ask for help.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by preggasaurus View Post
    Thank you all...

I like the sustagen idea.. Along with weight bearing exercise. Off to google...

I was thinking about going back to the gp, but maybe I'll give it another month or so and see how things pan out..

I don't have any money so I won't be able to see a personal trainer, dietitian or anyone like that at all, but I'm going to try googling for some exercise routines..

If anyone has any suggestions or can recommend web sites or u tube clips, I'd be interested. Thanks..

Also, thank you for not making me feel bad. Every time people talk about my weight, (and believe me, they do, both to my face and behind my back), I'm made to feel bad because I'm not struggling with trying to lose it like everyone else. It's made me feel isolated and as if I can't ask for help.
    Search xxfitness on r.e.d.d.i.t - lots of women post there about trying to gain weight (either pure muscle or just overall weight)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Have you always been super skinny? Or were you "in the normal weight range" at some point and have you progressively become thin? I think if you have always been what's considered underweight then it's much less of an issue (medically anyway ) than if this is a developing issue.
    I would probably still consider seeing the GP again with your concerns and having a full health screen. I would also start increasing healthy calorie rich foods to your diet, such as avo, nuts and more dairy. I would maybe have a think about what exactly it is that makes you "look" unhealthy? Is it purely people being judgemental or do you actually look unwell - is your skin dry, hair unhealthy , do you look unhealthily pale etc.. These thing may indicate if some is a bit amiss or you body is lacking nutrients. Weight bearing exercise is a great idea too to increase muscle mass.
    Good luck..my brothers were super thin growing up and were teased mercilessly, but they have both gained weight as they got into their 30s...I think their metabolism has finally slowed down!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Please don't start protein shakes. They are so damaging to your kidneys, and a study has recently showed that you may as well just drink.a milkshake for all the good they do to you. Humans very easily get their protein requirements through food.
    I weighed a bit more than you, but used to get comments too. Like you, if I ate big amounts I lost weight (which I would then struggle to re-gain). I joined a gym 11years ago. In the first 6 months I gained 3kg. I now weigh 9kg extra to what I used to. I'm still wearing the same size clothes but now instead of being skinny, I'm lean and fit looking. The concerns from others about my health stopped years ago. I had a minor operation this year which meant I had to back off my gym routine for 6 weeks...when I went back I had people ask me if I was dieting cause I had lost weight...I had lost weight, but only because I had lost some muscle mass.
    I finding lifting weights really boring...but I do it 2-3 times a week, one spin class a week, one 5km run a week, and 2-3 classes a week that do a combination of cardio and weights (5 sessions). I have to be careful though, as my max training time is 1 1/2hrs per session...otherwise my metabolism goes nuts and I can't get full and end up with hunger pains.
    Once a year I run a half marathon for the boost in fitness (usually start training 6 weeks before, just one long run a week...I'm very fit so my overall fitness means I can run a half marathon in 1hr 50 min without a lot of training), and I have to change my routine and have days off the gym inbetween runs to slow my metabolism down. It's just the way I am. There's nothing wrong with me health wise at all.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Gaining weight

Hi OP I empathise. I too am very underweight, I am 160cm and hover around the 40kg mark even after 2 kids. I didn't mind so much when I was young but now I believe being so thin makes me look older and haggard and unwell. (Plus the comments from people!)

I find if I am stressed or not sleeping that exacerbates it. I fidgit a lot when anxious and I guess that burns extra energy. I have twice in my life got close to 50kg, both those times I was happy in myself and stress free. Getting a good nights sleep. (Usually drinking a lot of booze too which adds weight).

When I drop under 40kg it's usually a wake up call to me that mentally I need to improve things and start looking after myself.

Do you smoke? This also makes a difference to my metabolism and weight (I'm always off and on them still trying to quit properly)

So maybe consider instead of tackling the physical side it could be mental? Maybe do some yoga or meditation? I wouldn't advocate large amounts of booze lol

I too shop in kids sizes and I don't wear our current work uniform (I wear an older style) as they simply don't fit (even their size 6 was too big at the time)

Good luck you are not the only one!

Eta: I do not have a sweet tooth either. Never eaten dessert and I don't snack.
    Last edited by Little Miss Sunshine; 30-12-2015 at 06:06.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Have you had your thyroid checked for hyperthyroidism? That can cause weight loss. Maybe have some blood tests done to eliminate any medical issues like that.