+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nh2489 View Post
    I've just been reading this out of interest as I have some concerns about my ds2 who is now 6 months but when I spoke to my gp she just brushed off my concerns. Just wondered if anyone has any advice.
    My ds2 was colicky as a baby but since about 12 weeks he's been generally happy and I don't think he has obvious abdominal pain. The thing that does worry me is that he has always passed very dark green mucusy poo. The dr have told me not to worry about the colour but it does concern me that there is always a lot of mucus. Surely this is indicating inflammation of some sort? No blood seen but I'm waiting on the faecal test results. Annoyingly though the test went off before Xmas and my gp surgery is closed until 11th Jan. In the meantime I am doing a dairy free trial even though I tried before and it didn't seem to make a difference. It's been over a week now dairy free and there's not been any improvement yet, he's still passing mucus. He's still breastfed, no formula at the moment. I've started solids but given no dairy yet.
    In terms of frequency of pooing, he doesn't poo much, usually every 3-4 days which was the same as my ds1 so I presume they just absorb most of the milk and don't produce that much poo. He is very small though, on the 3rd percentile and 6.5kg at 6 months. The Drs havnt been worried about the weight as he's not ravenously hungry and to be honest I think he's probably small as he doesn't take much milk, he just gets so distracted and feeds for 5 mins at a time.
    Would you be concerned with just the mucus in the poo or should I just ignore it as the dr don't seem concerned? Especially as he seems happy and has no other issues such as excema. I usually hate dr Google but feel like at the moment I'm doing things based on what I've read on the internet rather than medical advice as the Drs don't seem to understand my concerns.
    It's so hard isn't it. As I mentioned in a post above I find it hard to find professionals to take this stuff seriously and who really know about the most recent research.

I know I sound like a broken record but if you are starting solids soon please consider not giving grains. No rice cereal. First foods I would give are sweet potato, avocado and pear. My kids did ok with this so I then gave pumpkin, carrot and apple. First protein was chicken bone broth and then lamb. I then give all fruit and veg. Then egg yolk. Then dairy and all meats. I don't give grain till 12 months. I give plenty of fats and oils in the broths and in coconut oil, olive oil and butter.

It's just really worth looking into things before you start solids so you don't upset bubs already sensitive tummy. Weston a price is a website that might help with first foods.

With the dairy thing..... It can take a good 2-4 weeks for it to completely get out of your body so you might just have to wait a little longer with the dairy free.

Xxx

2. The Following User Says Thank You to RedCreamingSoda For This Useful Post:

nh2489  (31-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by cheeeeesecake View Post
    We had a similar problem with my DD. We also went onto Neocate,& began the process of healing her gut. We cut her foods right back to 2 or 3 things (+ the neocate), & then sloooowly introduced foods one at a time as she was able to tolerate them. It took probably a year for her gut to be functioning at a normal level again. I dont know what caused it - but I think she was born with gut and food issues, because they showed up at a few days old. I would recommend looking into the GAPS diet & quirky cooking. There are also a few other diets like the FODMAP diet. Definitely only under medical supervision though. It is so difficult,I really empathise with what youre going through. For us, I think it was mostly time that healed her gut, & being very careful with giving whole foods, nothing processed &no added sugars, etc. She could tolerate gluten fine, but if your DS has a problem with it,rice might be a better grain than oats (try rice mixed with pear?) We were also told that fructose can be a problem, so were giving fruits low in fructose for a while. Sorry its a bit rambly,there are so many different options, its so hard to find out which one works for your child. I wish you all the best xx
    Thank you.

The dietician has mentioned FODMAP but wanted to see out our food chemical trial first.
    He seems to be able to eat brown rice but not white. But even that isn't constant with his bowel movements, everything seems to have a big question mark over it

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by RedCreamingSoda View Post
    It's so hard isn't it. As I mentioned in a post above I find it hard to find professionals to take this stuff seriously and who really know about the most recent research.

I know I sound like a broken record but if you are starting solids soon please consider not giving grains. No rice cereal. First foods I would give are sweet potato, avocado and pear. My kids did ok with this so I then gave pumpkin, carrot and apple. First protein was chicken bone broth and then lamb. I then give all fruit and veg. Then egg yolk. Then dairy and all meats. I don't give grain till 12 months. I give plenty of fats and oils in the broths and in coconut oil, olive oil and butter.

It's just really worth looking into things before you start solids so you don't upset bubs already sensitive tummy. Weston a price is a website that might help with first foods.

With the dairy thing..... It can take a good 2-4 weeks for it to completely get out of your body so you might just have to wait a little longer with the dairy free.

Xxx
    I agree with a lot of what @RedCreamingSoda said. Dairy can take 3-4 weeks to get out of your system then 3-4 weeks to get out of bubs. You will usually find kids that can't tolerate dairy can't have soy either.

I found GPs useless, demand a referral to a gastro Paed. However my gastro says not to worry about the mucous and I totally disagree with that so I'm getting a second option.

May also be worth seeing a Paed dietician.

There are heaps of stuff that can irritate the gut.

My Bub is realistic key hoot but when his bowel movements are regular and don't contain mucous he is not clingy and I can walk into a room without him crying for me.

Definitely go get some advice after the stool sample comes back.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to graceadler For This Useful Post:

nh2489  (31-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Has he been tested for coeliac disease?