Multiple food intolerances | Page 2 | Bub Hub
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by graceadler View Post
    Great advice. Now I have a heap of questions for you ;-)

Why is his gut unhealthy? What would have caused it?

He has a probiotic but I am not sure how many strains!!! And he is gluten free

Why do you thin oats are no good? Is there a better alternative as its the only thing "breakfasty" he eats.

Could his limited diet be a cause to his unhealthy gut?
    Hi again. Just to be clear. I am not an expert in nutrition so this is all my opinion and just knowledge I have from researching things related to my own children's health. They don't have the sever issues that your little one has. Do continue to look for a good professional but the problem is I have found that it is very hard to find professionals in this field. I have found GPs to be useless. Dietitians and nutritionalists vary a lot in their knowledge of this specific area.... Young babies with a poorly developed gut microbiome.

Also sorry in advance for the ramble. I am very tired!

So my own answers to your questions....

Why???? The balance of the microorganisms in the gut is essential for good health. A babies gut must be colonized with these organisms. Scientists are still learning about how this happens but we do know that some colonization happen in utero and then the rest happens as babies has its first feeds. So the mums balance of gut organisms is important and then what happens to baby after its born is also important. Bub picks up the good microorganisms from your body, your birth canal, your skin, breastmilk and the environment. Things that can interfere with the colonization of baby's gut could be poor health in mothers gut, antibiotics to mother in pregnancy or labour, antibiotics to baby after birth, baby being given anything other then breastmilk and introducing unsuitable food or food too early. Look up the newborn sterile gut. So just to be clear I am not saying that a mum is wrong to have antibiotics, a c section and to formula feed. These things are often necessary or out of our control. Also some babies have all these things and their guts find a way to manage. But for some bubs a combination of these things results in a gut that is not able to get the balance of microorganisms right for easy digestion of food.

Oats are not bad. All grains are a bit difficult to digest. They can also throw the balance further out in a very sensitive gut. Of all grains oats are on the comparably gentler side of things do it doesn't surprise me that this is one thing that your little one can manage. As his diet is so limited I would not cut the oats out right now but you should immediately start soaking them overnight (don't forget to add the apple cider vinegar. It's an important step). But cutting all grains may be part of a gut healing diet. Have you looked at the gaps diet?

I don't think his limited diet has caused the gut problems. How, what and when you introduced solids may have played a part but for some reason he was probably out of balance already. His gut sensitivity is definitely part of why he doesn't want to eat much variety of food. He knows that different foods cause discomfort.

Just out of interest does bub have skin issues? Rashes or eczema?

I'll try sending you a PM about someone I know in WA.

Xxx

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RedCreamingSoda For This Useful Post:

BettyW  (30-12-2015),cheeeeesecake  (30-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by RedCreamingSoda View Post
    Hi again. Just to be clear. I am not an expert in nutrition so this is all my opinion and just knowledge I have from researching things related to my own children's health. They don't have the sever issues that your little one has. Do continue to look for a good professional but the problem is I have found that it is very hard to find professionals in this field. I have found GPs to be useless. Dietitians and nutritionalists vary a lot in their knowledge of this specific area.... Young babies with a poorly developed gut microbiome.

Also sorry in advance for the ramble. I am very tired!

So my own answers to your questions....

Why???? The balance of the microorganisms in the gut is essential for good health. A babies gut must be colonized with these organisms. Scientists are still learning about how this happens but we do know that some colonization happen in utero and then the rest happens as babies has its first feeds. So the mums balance of gut organisms is important and then what happens to baby after its born is also important. Bub picks up the good microorganisms from your body, your birth canal, your skin, breastmilk and the environment. Things that can interfere with the colonization of baby's gut could be poor health in mothers gut, antibiotics to mother in pregnancy or labour, antibiotics to baby after birth, baby being given anything other then breastmilk and introducing unsuitable food or food too early. Look up the newborn sterile gut. So just to be clear I am not saying that a mum is wrong to have antibiotics, a c section and to formula feed. These things are often necessary or out of our control. Also some babies have all these things and their guts find a way to manage. But for some bubs a combination of these things results in a gut that is not able to get the balance of microorganisms right for easy digestion of food.

Oats are not bad. All grains are a bit difficult to digest. They can also throw the balance further out in a very sensitive gut. Of all grains oats are on the comparably gentler side of things do it doesn't surprise me that this is one thing that your little one can manage. As his diet is so limited I would not cut the oats out right now but you should immediately start soaking them overnight (don't forget to add the apple cider vinegar. It's an important step). But cutting all grains may be part of a gut healing diet. Have you looked at the gaps diet?

I don't think his limited diet has caused the gut problems. How, what and when you introduced solids may have played a part but for some reason he was probably out of balance already. His gut sensitivity is definitely part of why he doesn't want to eat much variety of food. He knows that different foods cause discomfort.

Just out of interest does bub have skin issues? Rashes or eczema?

I'll try sending you a PM about someone I know in WA.

Xxx
    I understand it's just your opinion. I have found that personal experience is so much more helpful then Dr. My son has gastro oesophageal reflux and a cows milk protein intolerance. He has been on Losec since he was 4 months but it wasn't till he came of the breast and started Neocate that we saw a huge improvement. But then at 5.5 months when we introduced solids he went back down hill which is highly common with buns with GORD and gut issues usually come hand in hand :-(

He had a stool test and I think the bacteria levels came back good. I'm pretty sure that's what they tested.

I will be reading about GAPS tonight when the kids are in bed and having a chat with my dietician.

Your insight has been so good.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Maddmumma View Post
    What about veganism
    Wouldn't that just limit his diet even more?!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Lil M For This Useful Post:

cheeeeesecake  (30-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Lil M View Post
    Wouldn't that just limit his diet even more?!
    Hi I know you might think that but if he can't have certain foods vegan is actually easier .I am vegan and trust me there are lots of carbs wichhelp put on weight .smoothies packed with so much nutrition!! ,vegan cheeses wich are usually soy free gluten free...free of all nasties
    It's not for everyone but I think it's better because it all whole foods
    Fruit veg legumes etc

I'm not that good at explaining properly sorry 😑

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Maddmumma View Post
    Hi I know you might think that but if he can't have certain foods vegan is actually easier .I am vegan and trust me there are lots of carbs wichhelp put on weight .smoothies packed with so much nutrition!! ,vegan cheeses wich are usually soy free gluten free...free of all nasties
    It's not for everyone but I think it's better because it all whole foods
    Fruit veg legumes etc

I'm not that good at explaining properly sorry 😑
    I might search vegan recipes. Didn't even think of that!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Honestly your DS sounds soooo much like my dd. She was pooing up to 30x a day before her gut issues were sorted out. Neocate was an absolute lifesaver for us too, it changed my baby from one who screamed 8, 9, 10 hours a day,to a normal baby (well,she is still a bit of a grump sometimes, but we're working on it!) Dont stress that he has a limited diet. Focus on which foods he CAN tolerate, and give those to him. Slowly slowly you will find more things he can eat. At 12 months,my DD was eating around 4 foods (pear,avocado, rice & neocate). At 2 years,she was eating many things (but still no egg,nut, dairy, soy, or added sugars. But I was able to slowly trial & discover that she couldnt tolerate these foods). By 3yo she was able to tolerate some egg, nuts,and the occassional sugary treat (but still no dairy or soy). It was a slow, steady process of going right back to basics &adding in one food at a time to see what she could tolerate. Avocado is usually pretty gentle on the gut if you have tried that? I also agree with PP's suggestion of bone broth. I personally for my child wouldnt adopt a vegan diet, his diet is already so limited by what he can tolerate - so focus on the foods that make him feel 'well'. Also a vegan diet requires things like legumes, nuts, & soy for protein, which are all things that can be difficult to tolerate. I also agree with PP to look into the GAPS diet - its pretty extreme & its a long term thing, but its a method of introducing foods one at a time to see which ones are tolerated well. You could use it as a guideline for easier to tolerate foods. Is your GI helpful in finding any solutions for you?
    Last edited by cheeeeesecake; 30-12-2015 at 20:20.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've just been reading this out of interest as I have some concerns about my ds2 who is now 6 months but when I spoke to my gp she just brushed off my concerns. Just wondered if anyone has any advice.
    My ds2 was colicky as a baby but since about 12 weeks he's been generally happy and I don't think he has obvious abdominal pain. The thing that does worry me is that he has always passed very dark green mucusy poo. The dr have told me not to worry about the colour but it does concern me that there is always a lot of mucus. Surely this is indicating inflammation of some sort? No blood seen but I'm waiting on the faecal test results. Annoyingly though the test went off before Xmas and my gp surgery is closed until 11th Jan. In the meantime I am doing a dairy free trial even though I tried before and it didn't seem to make a difference. It's been over a week now dairy free and there's not been any improvement yet, he's still passing mucus. He's still breastfed, no formula at the moment. I've started solids but given no dairy yet.
    In terms of frequency of pooing, he doesn't poo much, usually every 3-4 days which was the same as my ds1 so I presume they just absorb most of the milk and don't produce that much poo. He is very small though, on the 3rd percentile and 6.5kg at 6 months. The Drs havnt been worried about the weight as he's not ravenously hungry and to be honest I think he's probably small as he doesn't take much milk, he just gets so distracted and feeds for 5 mins at a time.
    Would you be concerned with just the mucus in the poo or should I just ignore it as the dr don't seem concerned? Especially as he seems happy and has no other issues such as excema. I usually hate dr Google but feel like at the moment I'm doing things based on what I've read on the internet rather than medical advice as the Drs don't seem to understand my concerns.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by cheeeeesecake View Post
    Honestly your DS sounds soooo much like my dd. She was pooing up to 30x a day before her gut issues were sorted out. Neocate was an absolute lifesaver for us too, it changed my baby from one who screamed 8, 9, 10 hours a day,to a normal baby (well,she is still a bit of a grump sometimes, but we're working on it!) Dont stress that he has a limited diet. Focus on which foods he CAN tolerate, and give those to him. Slowly slowly you will find more things he can eat. At 12 months,my DD was eating around 4 foods (pear,avocado, rice & neocate). At 2 years,she was eating many things (but still no egg,nut, dairy, soy, or added sugars. But I was able to slowly trial & discover that she couldnt tolerate these foods). By 3yo she was able to tolerate some egg, nuts,and the occassional sugary treat (but still no dairy or soy). It was a slow, steady process of going right back to basics &adding in one food at a time to see what she could tolerate. Avocado is usually pretty gentle on the gut if you have tried that? I also agree with PP's suggestion of bone broth. I personally for my child wouldnt adopt a vegan diet, his diet is already so limited by what he can tolerate - so focus on the foods that make him feel 'well'. Also a vegan diet requires things like legumes, nuts, & soy for protein, which are all things that can be difficult to tolerate. I also agree with PP to look into the GAPS diet - its pretty extreme & its a long term thing, but its a method of introducing foods one at a time to see which ones are tolerated well. You could use it as a guideline for easier to tolerate foods. Is your GI helpful in finding any solutions for you?
    30x!!! How did you get things under control?

My GI seems to not be taking things seriously, because my Bub is a good weight and not screaming or obviously I'll.

I'll mention the bone broth to my dietician. I have been keeping a food diary and trailing food slowly one food at a time but nothing seems to be consistent with my son's gut symptoms. His mucousy poo and 8 bowel movements a day seem to have started after he got a week long bout of gastro!?

So good to know that he will start tolerating more foods as he gets bigger

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by graceadler View Post
    30x!!! How did you get things under control?

My GI seems to not be taking things seriously, because my Bub is a good weight and not screaming or obviously I'll.

I'll mention the bone broth to my dietician. I have been keeping a food diary and trailing food slowly one food at a time but nothing seems to be consistent with my son's gut symptoms. His mucousy poo and 8 bowel movements a day seem to have started after he got a week long bout of gastro!?

So good to know that he will start tolerating more foods as he gets bigger
    The 30 poos a day were on breastmilk, and honestly, it was the worst time of my life. I remember standing at the bench at 2 am night after night while she pooed continuously for an hour or two, and I tried to keep her bum clean because it was bleeding with nappy rash. Then I would feed her, and the pooing would start all over again. Thank god for neocate, if I ever met the person who created that stuff, I would seriously kiss them. In a way I was 'lucky' that she was failing to thrive, because I was at least taken seriously. Sorry I do't have a lot of advice, it was a long, hard road, but she is quite a normal child now, so I really hope that you can find some resolutions for your ds. I totally understand what you are going through xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by cheeeeesecake View Post
    The 30 poos a day were on breastmilk, and honestly, it was the worst time of my life. I remember standing at the bench at 2 am night after night while she pooed continuously for an hour or two, and I tried to keep her bum clean because it was bleeding with nappy rash. Then I would feed her, and the pooing would start all over again. Thank god for neocate, if I ever met the person who created that stuff, I would seriously kiss them. In a way I was 'lucky' that she was failing to thrive, because I was at least taken seriously. Sorry I do't have a lot of advice, it was a long, hard road, but she is quite a normal child now, so I really hope that you can find some resolutions for your ds. I totally understand what you are going through xx
    I remember the pre neocate days, feels like a life time ago. I was lucky that I stumbled across a reflux support group who were amazing and got me to try Neocate and it was a game changer for us