Multiple food intolerances | Bub Hub
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Multiple food intolerances

hi, my 13.5minth old has a very limited diet. Despite being under the care of a GI and dietician they can not seem to work out what is wrong.

Generally speaking he is a healthy weight and not in any pain but his gut just can't handle much. He has a CMPI as well as soy. He had a mild reaction to wheat for his skin prick test.

He almost always ha mucous in his poo and is unsettled and irritable. He can also poo up to 8 times a day!! The last few days has seen him eat barely anything (except 3-4 formula bottles) yet he still managed to do 5 poos!!!

He eats mainly potato, sweet potato, lamb and oats. But I think can also tolerate celery and carrot. Rice is a question mark.

I feel so defeated that his diet is so Crap.

Does any one have something similar and can help?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Hi! Im totally feeling you on feeling defeated with your LO's diet. I have a lactose and gluten intolerant and also a slight allergy to nuts 16 month old DD. Mine too is a healthy weight although small for her age. We have constipation problems however seem to be settling. She won't eat veggie and only some fruit. She honestly lives on toasted GF sandwichs, pasta, sultanas, blueberries and thats about it. She has zymill milk and will have 2-4/day depending on her mood.

I just keep offering things at every meal. Ive given up fighting her. She'll eat eventually. Thats what i tell myself anyway.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to DizzyDaisy For This Useful Post:

graceadler  (30-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    What about veganism

Thanks
    Reviews
    What formula is he on? I would look into healing the gut. Are you using a probiotic?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree with cheeesecake. Look at healing his gut. Start with a good probiotic. You can go to a pead naturopath and get a prescribed probiotic or in the mean time go to a health food shop and get one with as many strains as possible (about 10 is good). Don't bother with a single strain probiotic from the chemist.
    Then look up gut healing diets. Look up GAPS diet and Weston A Price. This will get you started on gut health info. The first thing to try to add to his diet is slow cooked bone broth. Here is a recipe link...

http://www.quirkycooking.com.au/2014...liquid-stocks/

I personally would cut out all grains (so stop giving the oats) but I understand that you will be reluctant to stop giving him anything until you have a firm plan because his diet is currently so limited. So for now you could prepare the oats differently to make them friendlier to the gut. Pre soak them. I will find another link....

http://wholelifestylenutrition.com/r...listic-recipe/

Good luck. Xxx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Maddmumma View Post
    What about veganism
    The dietician is testing for sensitivities to salicylates and amines so he has eaten potato, sweet potato, pear, banana, carrot and celery but still has mucousy poos. So I'm wondering if it's not the food but something mechanical.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by cheeeeesecake View Post
    What formula is he on? I would look into healing the gut. Are you using a probiotic?
    He is on neocate and has had s probiotic since he was 4 months old

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by RedCreamingSoda View Post
    I agree with cheeesecake. Look at healing his gut. Start with a good probiotic. You can go to a pead naturopath and get a prescribed probiotic or in the mean time go to a health food shop and get one with as many strains as possible (about 10 is good). Don't bother with a single strain probiotic from the chemist.
    Then look up gut healing diets. Look up GAPS diet and Weston A Price. This will get you started on gut health info. The first thing to try to add to his diet is slow cooked bone broth. Here is a recipe link...

http://www.quirkycooking.com.au/2014...liquid-stocks/

I personally would cut out all grains (so stop giving the oats) but I understand that you will be reluctant to stop giving him anything until you have a firm plan because his diet is currently so limited. So for now you could prepare the oats differently to make them friendlier to the gut. Pre soak them. I will find another link....

http://wholelifestylenutrition.com/r...listic-recipe/

Good luck. Xxx
    Great advice. Now I have a heap of questions for you ;-)

Why is his gut unhealthy? What would have caused it?

He has a probiotic but I am not sure how many strains!!! And he is gluten free

Why do you thin oats are no good? Is there a better alternative as its the only thing "breakfasty" he eats.

Could his limited diet be a cause to his unhealthy gut?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Also, I am want to see a naturopath, does anyone in Perth know a good one?

Thanks
    Reviews
    We had a similar problem with my DD. We also went onto Neocate,& began the process of healing her gut. We cut her foods right back to 2 or 3 things (+ the neocate), & then sloooowly introduced foods one at a time as she was able to tolerate them. It took probably a year for her gut to be functioning at a normal level again. I dont know what caused it - but I think she was born with gut and food issues, because they showed up at a few days old. I would recommend looking into the GAPS diet & quirky cooking. There are also a few other diets like the FODMAP diet. Definitely only under medical supervision though. It is so difficult,I really empathise with what youre going through. For us, I think it was mostly time that healed her gut, & being very careful with giving whole foods, nothing processed &no added sugars, etc. She could tolerate gluten fine, but if your DS has a problem with it,rice might be a better grain than oats (try rice mixed with pear?) We were also told that fructose can be a problem, so were giving fruits low in fructose for a while. Sorry its a bit rambly,there are so many different options, its so hard to find out which one works for your child. I wish you all the best xx

12. The Following User Says Thank You to cheeeeesecake For This Useful Post:

graceadler  (31-12-2015)