+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I think that people's political views say a lot more than stuff they own. I consider anyone who is extremely left wing to be NON-bogan, and conversely anyone who holds really right winged views to be more on the bogan side of the fence. There is of course everyone in between and a lot of us are a bit of a mix in some ways.

I come from a blend of both sides in my family. Dad and his family are all lefties, whereas my mum's side are more right wing. DP is VERY right wing. He's a tradie and does a lot of things I consider quite bogan, especially the way he occasionally goes out in public with bare feet, even to the shops which I find horrifying....each to their own :/

DP's bogan-ness is rubbing off on me, can't deny that, but I don't see myself as a true bogan (DP says I speak too nicely to be a bogan, lol). I'm kind of a middle class leftie who, by association, has turned slightly bogan in some ways. The main difference with me and DP is that I can go to a fairly posh event and quite comfortably blend in with the crowd, whereas DP sticks out like a sore thumb, even down to his broad Aussie accent. He's worn a suit once since I met him, and he took it off the second he could back in our motel room.

Anyway so there's my take on bogans.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hollywood For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (30-12-2015),SSecret Squirrel  (30-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I shop regularly in my trackies and uggs. I only wear thongs in Summer. My favourite past time is having a vino on the footpath with the neighbours.

However, I also own a bugaboo and I'm a grammar nazi.

So I suppose I'm a bogan snob?

Thanks
    Reviews
    L

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by besha View Post
    L
    ^^ my DD hit my phone screen and posted that. It's not quite a Kim Kardashian flashback bikini photo on Instagram, but maybe allowing my baby anywhere near my phone (even accidentally) is bogan? 😉

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
    I think that people's political views say a lot more than stuff they own. I consider anyone who is extremely left wing to be NON-bogan, and conversely anyone who holds really right winged views to be more on the bogan side of the fence. There is of course everyone in between and a lot of us are a bit of a mix in some ways.
    You may be onto something there. However to throw a spanner in your theory I know of people in certain professions eg accountants / doctors who are very big liberal party supporters and definitely non bogan.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't think I'm all that bogan. I don't really own anything identified as bogan in this thread (apart from a coffee table and downlights). That makes me 10%??

Noone on Dad's side of the family are bogans, but a lot of my mother's family are. eg I have extended family members who are 110% genuine bogan - not the aspirational bogan described in this thread, but more what I think of as traditional bogans eg they drive old utes, wear flannelette shirts with black jeans, smoke Winnie blues, teeth and shoes are optional extras when going out etc

My exdh managed to suppress a lot of his bogan desires when we were married and much to my children's horror has now managed to transform into a full bogan.
    Last edited by SSecret Squirrel; 30-12-2015 at 20:50. Reason: spelling

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SSecret Squirrel For This Useful Post:

JustJaq  (30-12-2015),TheGooch  (30-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    What's considered bogan

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Spin off: How 'bogan' are you?

Quote Originally Posted by SSecret Squirrel View Post
    You may be onto something there. However to throw a spanner in your theory I know of people in certain professions eg accountants / doctors who are very big liberal party supporters and definitely non bogan.
    Liberal voters are generally left wing, IMO. Then there's your Green Party lefties in the extreme left. Labor voters are more often than not the right wing and more inclined to be bogan (IMO).

Edit: for example, my dad is a leftie 'non-bogan', he's an accountant and entrepreneur. He used to vote liberal, but moved to the Greens once it came along. And my uncle (his brother) who is a QC even ran for the leadership position in the Greens seat of Melbourne a few years ago....he is the ultimate left wing non-bogan.
    Last edited by Hollywood; 30-12-2015 at 18:14.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I own ugg boots and trackies AND since I've lived in tassie the last 15 years I've taken to wearing them out on occasion if I need to pop to the shops (small country town).

I swear

So, 20% bogan.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by JustUsTwo View Post

has anyone seen the Australian TV series "Upper Middle Bogan"?
    I think it presents the modern Australian Bogan stereotype pretty well, it's also hilarious!
    My fave show! Michala Banas is fantastic. Can't wait til the new season.