+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default taekwondo for a 2 year old?

Hello everyone! How are we all tonight?
    My ds is 17 months and we go to a mums and bubs group of a monday, my DP and i have been talking about putting him into taekwondo when he turns 2 as another fun activity for him (he'll also learn respect, honor, self defence, patients etc etc). Im just wondering does 2 years old sound too young?
    My MIL has some pretty strong views on alot of things (just to day she told me once he starts playing with himself for pleasure i have to tell him to stop as its gross, i myself am a very open person and can talk openly about everything. I might be too open actually but thats for another thread!)
    I guess i want peoples opinions as if it gets mixed opinions i can kind of guess weather she might have a problem or not.

Note: MIL is a fabulous person and i love her to bits, shes just very old fasioned, and has strong views.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Personally I think he's too young. there's plenty of time for him to learn things like that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I think it's fine but most places we looked into wouldn't accept my DD until she was 3. Maybe it's because of when they start to 'listen' to instructions sort of thing?

It's not full on lessons anyway it's about being a kid, having fun etc! Go for it

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't think a 2yo's attention span is long enough to enjoy or gain anything from it that age, but all kids are different.

3yo though I think might enjoy it if it's something like kanga karate sort of thing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you and yes of course it would only be a fun thing, anf there is a place that will take him but ill discuss it more with DP and see what we can come up with

Thanks
    Reviews

My DS does Taekwondo and it's one of the best things we've done for him but I know they don't accept kids younger than 4. It is about teaching discipline and respect, fitness, flexibility and then the martial arts side of things like you said. DS started at 5 and now having just turned 9 is on his red belt.

I think 2 is too young, it's not really like a kindergym that is purely for fun, we have found it to be quite a serious sport.
    Last edited by ICanDream; 28-12-2015 at 21:36.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Personally I think he's too young. there's plenty of time for him to learn things like that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you all for the opinions and input, does anyone have any other ideas i could have to put my DS inton hes an only child, and i really want to do more with him aetc. I dont plan on having any more kids as i suffer/ed PND pretty harshly, just looking at becoming a better mummy

Thanks
    Reviews

Kindergym, mini maestros, swimming lessons, library reading sessions.

What do you currently do with him?

ETA checkout a website called whatson4littleones.com.au - it has festivals as well as classes aimed at toddlers.
    Last edited by ICanDream; 28-12-2015 at 21:50.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to ICanDream For This Useful Post:

Luanajo  (28-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I hate to admit that im a pretty 'lazy' parent, and often feel like he deserves better.
    We read, sing/dance occasionally, swim in the back yard, sometimes go to the park, playgroup every monday (finnished until 11 jan)n but honestly, thats about it.. i really want to change so he will have mostly good memories and not ones of me bein depresse (i suffer a few mental health issues) and sitting on the couch watching him play, i want to be more involved. (Sorry to turn this thread into a downer!!)