+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default What is important to you when choosing a school?

Hi all, just wondering what is important to you when choosing a school for your child.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Location/catchment area and the number of pupils, teacher child ratio per class

Thanks
    Reviews
    For us it was that a school had a great sense of community. Something you could tangibly feel when visiting. Also important for me on the practical side of things was that they were fantastic in the communication department. We were at one Public School that were terrible. I never knew what was going on when and as an organized person it frustrated me no end. I current school are spot on with communication. We get emailed everything, it's mentioned on the closed Facebook page and through an App. So helpful when you have 3 at school.

Location wasn't that important to us as we have gone done the private route but Teacher quality, available resources and Leadership quality are very important.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Religious education and class sizes/teacher and teacher-aid ratios.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Hulahoop For This Useful Post:

Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (28-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    For us we wanted a small school with a community feel. We wanted it to be a 'peaceful' environment for our children - which includes good behaviour management policies and settled classrooms. Communication and the school-home connection is also really important for us. A safe and caring environment. I am so happy with the school we have chosen.

Thanks
    Reviews
    The general things we looked for were:

Size (we wanted something reasonably small)

A strong focus on emotional wellbeing (I Feel that if my kids are happy they will learn)

Flexibility (if the structure/curriculum/set up/teaching methods aren't working for my children I wanted a school that would be flexible in their thinking and would work with us to change things)

My DD has autism so we also looked for things such as inclusion policies; the school's understanding of ASD and whether they had a history of teaching kids with ASD; the school's willingness to work collaboratively with outside professionals involved with DD; and whether there were aides in classrooms.

Thanks
    Reviews
    All extremely good points. Glad I asked. Thank you

Thanks
    Reviews
    We looked at schools that matched our educational, discipline and social values. I also asked other local mums and dads why they choose the school their kids went to and what they thought of the school now. I got some really amazing insight.