+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default What is important to you when choosing a primary school?

Hi all, just wondering what are the main things that matter to you when choosing a school for your child.

Thank you

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Week ended 24/7/2014100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Nafsika View Post
    Hi all, just wondering what are the main things that matter to you when choosing a school for your child.

Thank you
    For me personally, a smaller school was a must. I'm in a large regional town so I was looking for around 200 kids max. It was also important to me that my children attend a catholic school. I attended open days, asked lots of friends etc their opinions and had an interview with the principal.

Sorry, have to run, hope that helps.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    For me being a teacher the most vital thing for me is how they teach literacy. I need to know what programs they use and how they teach reading. It's vital as far as I'm concerned.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My kids went to 5 primary schools due to being a military family, I choose their schools on location and ease as well as size.

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    For me proximity is number one. Being able to walk to school, and living in the school's community are both very important to me. I also wanted a school with a diverse population- I didn't want my kids going to school only with other kids just like them.
    Enough room to run around and a lovely natural landscape is also important because we live in a flat so having somewhere to play in a natural environment is really important to my family.
    The other really big one is promotion of literacy and a love of literature. A school with a library and full time librarian was a really important consideration.
    Luckily our local school ticks all those boxes. If we'd stayed where we lived before my kids were school aged they would have gone to a slightly larger school slightly further away as the closest was very cramped, had no library and was very homogenous.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Proximity.....being able to walk
    Small
    Plenty of green space
    'Feeling'

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Proximity, room to run, size in that order. My local ticks 2/3.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Religious education, clean, nice grassed area to run, friendliness of the staff, staff turnover.

My boys school fits all of the above and more. The boys have been happy and so have we with regards to everything. Most staff have been there long term are very friendly and open. It's a small school of about 120 students.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Class size, developing the whole child, inquiry based learning, inclusivity.

I've been in education for nearly 20 years and the thing I'm least interested in is results and naplan.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

LaDiDah  (28-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    How do you find out staff turn over rates? Is it public knowledge?