+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default 5am wake ups!

my 13.5 month old has just recently started waking between 4am - 5am!! He use to sleep (waking about 2am for a feed) till 6am- 7am.

I am wondering if anyone has some tips or if they have used a sleep consultant successfully to help with this problem?

I used Andre Bogue for Bub at 4 months to get him self settling and she was amazing!! Would it be worth it for this issue?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My DS does this in summer as it starts getting light then. All tge extra light, plus birds chirping away, wakes him up. We've now got block out curtains in his room and he sleeps through about 6:30am.

How light is his room getting?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

Default 5am wake ups!

Is bub getting too much day sleep?
    Perhaps bub is ready for one day nap?

Just wondering why bub is still having a night feed? Unless there are medical concerns at 13.5 months, assuming solid intake is good bub probably doesn't need a night feed - perhaps it's all about comfort?
    - Is the bottle used as a sleep cue at bedtime which leads to bub needing milk to resettle through the night? If so try having 20 mins play between the night milk feed and bedtime. Don't feed to sleep if bub wakes during the night. Try giving bub a comforter to help bub settle. Use it at every sleep regardless of where it is - and only at sleep time.

Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for your reply! He am does have some medical issues, his diet is extremely restricted and he doesn't get enough to calories so I am happy to feed him at night especially because he would chat for 5-10minutes and then put himself back to sleep and sleep till 630am. But now I wonder if bottle is too close to bed time? We have started leaving a 10min gap between bottle and bed this evening and he settled himself no problem. But he woke for his 2am feed and I have tried to resettle instead of feed. We have been up over an hour, I just don't know if he is hungry and if the 2 am is the problem as he wakes at 4-5am, wants a feed but then isn't tired enough to go back to sleep.

Do you think if I keep separating the bottle and bed at night but still give him his 2am feed we may see him sleep past 4-5am??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Frankenmum View Post
    My DS does this in summer as it starts getting light then. All tge extra light, plus birds chirping away, wakes him up. We've now got block out curtains in his room and he sleeps through about 6:30am.

How light is his room getting?
    He has roller shutters so dark as it can get :-(

6. The Following User Says Thank You to graceadler For This Useful Post:

Frankenmum  (29-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Both my older girls used to wake that early. Its a phase and most grow out of it. I used to take them for a walk when that happened. I'd get exercise and they would get some fresh air.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

graceadler  (29-12-2015),Little Miss Sunshine  (29-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Btw comfort is a valid reason for overnight feeds

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

graceadler  (29-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia&Hannah View Post
    Both my older girls used to wake that early. Its a phase and most grow out of it. I used to take them for a walk when that happened. I'd get exercise and they would get some fresh air.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia&Hannah View Post
    Btw comfort is a valid reason for overnight feeds
    This. My DS still goes through phases of when he is up for the day (he is 3 in March). Mostly he is up at 6 or earlier - he is just an early bird.

He has gone through phases of 4am wake ups. I just kept things quiet/dark and parked myself on the couch.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DS is up at around 5-5:30am everyday, it really os exhausting!! Hes 17 mo and still has 1-2 feeds during thenight -_- and he still cci sleeps etc. Trying to get him out of these habbits is a real pain in my bum, terrible twos have come early and he with kick, bite, hit and throw things at me :/

Thanks
    Reviews
    @Luanajo terrible 2s are hard enough without having to do it in less sleep that both of you should.

Thanks for all the tips. I'll try everything and hopefully see and improvement. I'm happy for him to sleep till 6