Photography tips, challenges, lenses, lighting | Page 3 | Bub Hub
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    Are any of us still here?
    I have a couple of shots but nothing special but will share if anyone else is interested.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by sparklebug View Post
    Sounds great.....(but I may delete some later if it's the kids to keep my anonymity )
    @misskittyfantastico great portraits, especially the first one looks like such a special moment!

Here is one night time one I'm happy with, using the tripod, and it took about a 50 shots to get my setting right but got there in the end
    Attachment 77010
    Thank you - that first one is my Dad and my youngest. They have the most amazing bond.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to misskittyfantastico For This Useful Post:

sparklebug  (24-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    No photographers?? Was so hoping to get tips on night time photography! Here is one of my latest Attachment 76850
    I'm a photographer, happy to help with any questions 😉

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigreg View Post
    I'm a photographer, happy to help with any questions 😉
    Oh that's great! Thanks!
    I'm really interested in low light situations and how to get a clean crisp photo especially with people.

As soon as it is a little darker or for indoor pics I tend to get photos that have a little blur. I have a tripod and have started doing that using that lately, and it does make it a little better.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh that's great! Thanks!
    I'm really interested in low light situations and how to get a clean crisp photo especially with people.

As soon as it is a little darker or for indoor pics I tend to get photos that have a little blur. I have a tripod and have started doing that using that lately, and it does make it a little better.
    So in low light situations what the camera is doing is keeping the shutters ( these open and close whenever you take a photo) in low light they stay open in order to allow more light into the sensor of the camera, by leaving the shutters open it catches any movement, hence the need for a tripod. However even if you have a tripod if your subject is moving while those shutters are open its going to be blurry. You should be able to hear the shutters when you push the button. They open and close quickly when there's a lot of light or open and close slowly when it's dark.

There are a few ways around this though without a tripod. What type of camera are you using?

Thanks
    Reviews

There are a few ways around this though without a tripod. What type of camera are you using?

I use a cannon 450 D, I've been experimenting more with the manual settings lately, so sometimes i'll get a great shot, sometimes it's a mess, it's all a guessing game at the moment

Thanks
    Reviews
    @sparklebug

There are three elements you need to learn in manual all will affect your lighting technique.

Iso- this is the grain in your image as well as light so you can adjust this from 100 to 5000 depends on the camera but the higher the number the more light and the more grain but you need to balance this with

Shutter speed - 1 sec - 1/1000 sec or higher. Rule of thumb don't shoot without a tripod at less the 50th of a second otherwise the shutter is open and catching movement. As you already know this affects the light too! So the lower the shutter speed the more light. Try balancing this with the iso for example 50 sec with 1000 iso

Depth of field - also plays a huge part each lens is different but I'm taking a guess that your lens is 18-55mm?? This lens lowest depth of field ( the blur) is 5.6 now the lower the depth of field the more light. But the lower the depth of field the more blur!

Confused yet?

Thanks
    Reviews
    @sparklebug

There are three elements you need to learn in manual all will affect your lighting technique.

Iso- this is the grain in your image as well as light so you can adjust this from 100 to 5000 depends on the camera but the higher the number the more light and the more grain but you need to balance this with

Shutter speed - 1 sec - 1/1000 sec or higher. Rule of thumb don't shoot without a tripod at less the 50th of a second otherwise the shutter is open and catching movement. As you already know this affects the light too! So the lower the shutter speed the more light. Try balancing this with the iso for example 50 sec with 1000 iso

Depth of field - also plays a huge part each lens is different but I'm taking a guess that your lens is 18-55mm?? This lens lowest depth of field ( the blur) is 5.6 now the lower the depth of field the more light. But the lower the depth of field the more blur!

Confused yet?
    Haha, when I have the camera in my hand it makes more sense, I'll have to practice!
    Yes I have the 18-55, Lately I've been using my wide angle a lot 10-22. I have a telephoto zoom, which was the first I bought for some reason thought it was a must have, it's actually what I use least.

Thanks
    Reviews
    @misskittyfantastico - I've been AWOL for a couple of weeks. We've moved house, and got everything unpacked. I was going to get the camera out the weekend before I went back to work.... and DH was offered a job interstate, starts at the end of the month. So now we're madly packing again, and trying to find a house in QLD. I'm interested in seeing your shots, but unfortunately can't reciprocate at the moment!
    @Sigreg - thanks for the tips! I will get the camera out and practice when I'm not running around like a headless chook. Any tips on shooting into the light? My nieces and nephews (understandably) really dislike standing with the sun in their faces for photos. I usually try to angle it so it isn't directly behind them, but sometimes the background leaves a lot to be desired. DS is not interested in posing for the camera. It's a matter of finding a moment where he's not moving a mile a minute and clicking away!

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Photography tips, challenges, lenses, lighting

Downloading my photos and thought I'd share a couple here!

ETA oh such a shame I didn't upload this properly, it's such poor resolution- but it's such beautiful architecture it's the town hall in Munich.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by sparklebug; 08-02-2016 at 06:50.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to sparklebug For This Useful Post:

Tiny Dancer  (08-02-2016)