Photography tips, challenges, lenses, lighting | Bub Hub
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Photography tips, challenges, lenses, lighting

Hello photography enthusiasts!
    I have only just realized there is a whole photography area!!

I have a cannon 450D I got it with the 18-55 mm kit lens, then I wanted a zoom lens so I got the telephoto zoom 70-300, which I have ended up using the least, although one day when I attempt wildlife photography it will come in handy, the I purchased a wide angle zoom 10-22mm which I thought I wouldn't use much but actually use heaps. Next I would looooove a macro lens- not sure which one.

My photography is totally amateur but it's something I really enjoy, just wish I was better organised so I had more time for it.

My biggest challenge- night time/low light shots.

So any other photography enthusiasts around, I recall monthly challenges, are they still active?
    Last edited by sparklebug; 30-12-2015 at 10:52.

Thanks
    Reviews
    No photographers?? Was so hoping to get tips on night time photography! Here is one of my latest ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1451436979.744193.jpg

3. The Following User Says Thank You to sparklebug For This Useful Post:

misskittyfantastico  (31-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sparklebug, it's something that I would love to get in to, and keep meaning to practise, but I usually just hand the camera to DH, and let him do it! We have a Canon 50D, 18-55 mm lens, a 50 mm lens... and I can't remember what the last one is off the top of my head.

My problem is that I don't shoot often enough to remember the best way to use the settings manually. Then since I don't want to miss the shot, I'm lazy and go to auto.

Do you use a tripod?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I know what you mean as soon as I haven't used it for a couple weeks, I feel like I've forgotten what settings do what, I'm going to try and do a 365 day challenge for that reason, (but I been trying 3yrs in a row now :P)
    I do have a tripod, I just don't use it much- I got a great moon shot when I used it! I probably should use it more often then!

Thanks
    Reviews
    When we were in London, we wanted to get a photo of the Tower Bridge at night - didn't have the tripod as we had been out all day. DH folded up my hat (cotton one) and put it under the camera, while it was resting on the wall of the Thames. It's been a technique that's worked reliably at night if we've needed a steady hand. It always looks much better than using the flash.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I fold up my strap under the camera to use as a little rest I have given up on flash my photos are just not right with it.

My biggest problem are people! If I have people in a low light photo, and there is the slightest moment it's a total blur- but maybe that normal??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Normal. Because the exposure is longer, any movement will come up as a blur. They need to hold super still.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Tiny Dancer For This Useful Post:

sparklebug  (30-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I find it difficult to really capture a person when doing a portrait, (expect for my own kids) so I'll just give up on people then for now, seeing as they're so complicated and I'll stick to landscapes.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Have you got a portrait lens? Ours is amazing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    No I use either my kit lens, or my wide angle lens, with the wide angle the photos are usually good, but it's one you have to get up and close with for a portrait so not really good for a spontaneous shot.
    What lens do you use for portraits?