Closed Thread
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BlondeinBrisvegas View Post
    According to you...I stand by my opinion.
    😊

2. The Following User Says Thank You to amiracle4me For This Useful Post:

BlondeinBrisvegas  (29-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes...and that goes both ways as far as I'm concerned.
    Apologies for anyone I may have offended or for any ongoing heated debate. Unfortunately as someone said it's a emotional subject. Some of us just can't imagine giving birth to our babies and then having them anything but as close as possible. To US that does feel alien and unnatural.. To US.

There are others who may not feel this way and I have friends who simply couldn't sleep with babies in the room. Each to their own at the end of the day.

One thing I know for 100%.. Things change when Bub actually arrives and preconceived ideas often end up in the bin. I was dead against co sleeping and at 6mths here we are lol.

OP will know what to do 😊 @blondinBrisvegas, @ScubaGal and I are just coming from a place of 'what would the child feel?' And SIDS guidelines.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to amiracle4me For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (29-12-2015),BlondeinBrisvegas  (29-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Do what works for you and your situation. Our first we co-slept out of necessity (tiny 1 bedroom apartment) and it was horrible. I swore never again. Our second went straight into her own room from day 1 and that worked for us. Our 3rd again was in our room in a bassinet for a bit and again was horrible for all of us. Our fourth however was in our room for about 2.5 months and we had no problems with that.

Do what you are comfortable with. What works for some won't work for all. Its a personal choice- as with most things parenting related. If you want baby in your room, great. If you don't, that's great too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My almost 18mo dd is still in our room because that works for us. If you can find a way to follow the sids guidelines then I always think that's worth doing. If that doesn't end up working for your family then I would suggest putting other measures in place to minimise sids risks. Maybe consider one of those breathing monitor pads? Ensure the room temp is right, bedding is safe, etc.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to BettyV For This Useful Post:

amyd  (29-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by FearlessLeader View Post
    OP, do whatever suits YOUR family. Don't let anyone guilt you into doing anything parenting related any one particular way. Babies who sleep in their parents room don't learn bad habits, but on the other hand, babies who sleep in another room are not being neglected and undernourished as many emotive posts in this thread would suggest.
    I breast fed round the clock on demand for the first 12 months and both of my babies went straight to their own room because I am a light sleeper and couldn't sleep with their noisy snuffling, and I also wanted private space with my partner.
    Bring your newborn into your room. If you love it- great, keep going. You won't cause them any harm. If you don't, send them off to their own room. You won't cause them any harm.
    Okay, so I'm just going to skip over all of the drama and second this post. Do what is right for you.

For the record, my son was in his own room from day one - our rooms are right next door and both doors are left open. It worked well for us.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Not talking about BF here. Talking about sleeping arrangements. I understand what you're getting at but from my side of the fence, I believe the guidelines should be followed if possible.

Can't see how it's not possible to have your baby sleeping in the same room as you for the first 6 months??
    Ok well I'll explain how it's not possible.

Our house when we had DD1 and DD2 had a tiny main bedroom. Apart from our bed and one tiny chest of drawers there was no room for anything other than a crib. So we had our babies in as long as we could then had to move them when they reached around 12 weeks as it was no longer safe or possible to continue to have them sleep in the same room.

Their rooms were about 2 to 3 steps from our bedroom. We had monitors and checked on them overnight. They were also terrible sleepers and as I breastfed on demand I was up feeding constantly until they were 12 months old.

So I take offence at the thought anything I did was negligent. I was informed and made my decisions according to safety and logistics.

Yes they are more than JUST guidelines but to say parents are cruel or negligent to go against those guidelines for what are for them considered judgments is not fair no matter how much people caveat it by saying it's just "their opinion".

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (29-12-2015),amyd  (29-12-2015),Molros  (29-12-2015),PinkPopsicle  (29-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We had DS in our room for first 7 weeks. Husband goes to the loo a few times a night and walks around like a giant elephant so would keep waking bub up!

Next bub I will get a cheap single mattress and camp out in bub's room for 6 months.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Both DD (now 2.5) and DS (1 month) have been in their own rooms since birth. DS room also has a single bed so I can sleep in there if I want to. I liked the idea of having them in our room but in reality it has worked out better for all of us having them in their own rooms.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 20/8/15100 Posts in a week - week ended 13/8/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 6/8/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 30/7/15
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    Ok well I'll explain how it's not possible.

Our house when we had DD1 and DD2 had a tiny main bedroom. Apart from our bed and one tiny chest of drawers there was no room for anything other than a crib. So we had our babies in as long as we could then had to move them when they reached around 12 weeks as it was no longer safe or possible to continue to have them sleep in the same room.

Their rooms were about 2 to 3 steps from our bedroom. We had monitors and checked on them overnight. They were also terrible sleepers and as I breastfed on demand I was up feeding constantly until they were 12 months old.

So I take offence at the thought anything I did was negligent. I was informed and made my decisions according to safety and logistics.

Yes they are more than JUST guidelines but to say parents are cruel or negligent to go against those guidelines for what are for them considered judgments is not fair no matter how much people caveat it by saying it's just "their opinion".

Hmmm...nor is it "fair" to not-so-subtly attempt to try to prove in that condescending way of yours that I'm some kind of a hypocrite for not BF my DD (another SIDS guideline) on the one hand then saying not following the SIDS sleeping guidelines is negligent on another.

For some reason before hitting the "reply" button, you failed to see my previous post where I did say I BF my DD (as per the SIDS guidelines) until 6 weeks but couldn't continue due to supply issues thus your not so clever plan to "show me up" failed spectacularly!!!

Everything about that post was offensive to me, so I'd call us even.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Hmmm...nor is it "fair" to not-so-subtly attempt to try to prove in that condescending way of yours that I'm some kind of a hypocrite for not BF my DD (another SIDS guideline) on the one hand then saying not following the SIDS sleeping guidelines is negligent on another.

For some reason before hitting the "reply" button, you failed to see my previous post where I did say I BF my DD (as per the SIDS guidelines) until 6 weeks but couldn't continue due to supply issues thus your not so clever plan to "show me up" failed spectacularly!!!

Everything about that post was offensive to me, so I'd call us even.
    I've zero interest in showing you up or providing anything other than an explanation as to why not everyone can follow the SIDS guidelines to the letter. I'm not negligent for doing what I did as you are not for not breastfeeding beyond 6 weeks.

I read your follow up posts and they didn't clarify anything.

Closed Thread
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast