Closed Thread
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BlondeinBrisvegas View Post
    Not talking about BF here. Talking about sleeping arrangements. I understand what you're getting at but from my side of the fence, I believe the guidelines should be followed if possible.

Can't see how it's not possible to have your baby sleeping in the same room as you for the first 6 months??
    If possible of course.

I don't know of a reason why a baby couldn't sleep in the same room as a parent but I'm sure there are some. Maybe the parents are heavy smokers and think the risk of exposure to the cigarette smoke is worse?

My 6 month old uses a blanket (against SIDS guidelines) because she has a brace on her legs and doesn't fit into those baby sleeping bags. Sometimes perfect just isn't practicable.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 20/8/15100 Posts in a week - week ended 13/8/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 6/8/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 30/7/15
    Quote Originally Posted by babyla View Post
    No not just me, according to the law and SIDS - that's why they're called guidelines - a general piece of advice.
    I was referring to your description of my opinion as "outrageous". I do know the difference between guidelines and the law.

FTR...I am also entitled to my opinion whether you or anyone else disagree's which you are entitled to do. I'm sure there are others who might just agree with my POV.

When a person poses a question on a forum they should expect to get a broad range of responses. As per usual though, the ganging up has begun when an opinion (mine in this case) has been deemed to be unacceptable by the BH Judge, jury and executioners!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by amiracle4me View Post
    What @ScubaGal said.

Please please please don't put a newborn in a room on her own from birth. It's unnatural and in my opinion bordering on cruel.
    I'm sorry but it's really uncalled for to suggest parents are borderline cruel for sleeping babies in their own room. You have no idea about other people and their circumstances and why those choose not to have babies room in and whilst it is your opinion it's amazingly judgemental and an unnecessary smack down to numerous parents.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Louise41 View Post
    My baby cousin slept in her parents room and was breastfed and yet she still was a sids baby . It happens wherever they sleep.
    It does Louise, but that doesn't discount SIDS research that shows a baby sleeping in the same room as a parents for the first 6-12 months minimizes the risk of SIDS. I understand this research wasn't available when you had your babies but it is now. I think it's important for that research to be shared so people can make their own risk assessments. Sharing research and recommendations of what minimizes SIDS risks does not need to be taken offensively.

Current research shows that SIDS babies go into a deeper sleep than other babies and 'forget' to breath. Being in the same room as their mother helps them regulate their breathing.

http://www.lullabytrust.org.uk/document.doc?id=300

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (29-12-2015),BettyV  (29-12-2015),BlondeinBrisvegas  (29-12-2015),VicPark  (29-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Ok ladies, I haven't read the whole thread but the animosity and offense taken is insane.

SIDS guidelines are based on research, they're not just given willy nilly, they're based on what they have learned about babies that have died from SIDS and what we can do to minimize that risk. Yes, there are going to be reasons that you cannot follow them or make your own risk assessment and that doesn't make you negligent. BUT don't fob them off as *just* guidelines. There are people dedicating their lives to trying to figure out why these babies die so that none of us have to experience this pain. They are not *just* guidelines. They are based on research.

Breastfeeding lowers the risk because breastfed babies tend to not sleep as heavy because they smell their mom, wake more often for feeds, etc. which minimizes the risk. Mothers being unable to breastfeed are not negligent but it doesn't negate what research shows either.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

BlondeinBrisvegas  (29-12-2015),VicPark  (29-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    No one has been offended by the SIDS guidelines @HollyGolightly81. They've been offended by being called "cruel" and "neglectful" for making the choice that for their family it is best for bub to sleep alone. Some of the posts in this thread have been unnecessarily judgemental and unkind. That's why people have been offended.

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Frankenmum For This Useful Post:

amyd  (29-12-2015),babyno1onboard  (29-12-2015),FearlessLeader  (29-12-2015),Molros  (29-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Frankenmum View Post
    No one has been offended by the SIDS guidelines @HollyGolightly81. They've been offended by being called "cruel" and "neglectful" for making the choice that for their family it is best for bub to sleep alone. Some of the posts in this thread have been unnecessarily judgemental and unkind. That's why people have been offended.
    I was annoyed by the posts calling them JUST guidelines but also there is definitely a vibe of people getting ****ed off because they are taking offense to people pointing out the guidelines. I know what posts you're referring to but I'm referring others.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 20/8/15100 Posts in a week - week ended 13/8/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 6/8/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 30/7/15
    Quote Originally Posted by Frankenmum View Post

Yes...and that goes both ways as far as I'm concerned.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I never once said anything negative about babies being in the same room or not . I honestly don't care how everyone parents. All I stated was where i put my babies and I was basically told it was neglectful to not share a room. Honestly why can't people just be nice and not attack others for how they choose to parent.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Louise41 View Post
    I never once said anything negative about babies being in the same room or not . I honestly don't care how everyone parents. All I stated was where i put my babies and I was basically told it was neglectful to not share a room. Honestly why can't people just be nice and not attack others for how they choose to parent.
    You're focusing on one post and taking personal offense to it like she directed it at you. She's gone on to explain herself, have you read those posts?

Closed Thread
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast