I didn't breast feed my babies from 2 days of age nor did I share a room

Guess I was a cruel mother

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Louise41 View Post

You did what worked for your family. I didn't breastfeed either past 4 days it just wasn't for me.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to kriista For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (29-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    This is obviously a topic people are passionate about but if you just go with the SIDS recommendations they are to have baby in your room in a bassinet or cot for the first 6-12 months.

I could never have my newborn or baby away from me in another room but that's me.

I'd go with your own instincts too. Don't let anyone tell you that having your baby In the room (or bed) with you will create bad sleep habits. Take note of advice that is helpful but in the end trust your instincts and do what works for you.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Clementine Grace For This Useful Post:

BlondeinBrisvegas  (29-12-2015),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (29-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by kriista View Post
    You did what worked for your family. I didn't breastfeed either past 4 days it just wasn't for me.
    Xxx

Thanks
    Reviews
    My baby cousin slept in her parents room and was breastfed and yet she still was a sids baby . It happens wherever they sleep.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 20/8/15100 Posts in a week - week ended 13/8/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 6/8/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 30/7/15
    Yep...I kept DD in our room for the first 12 months. No way did we want her away from us in another room on her own particularly as a newborn. I can think of nothing worse to do to a baby to be perfectly honest. SIDS recommendations are for bub to sleep in the same room as you for the first 6-12 months. 6 months at the very least for safety.

From about 9-10 months old I started DD in her own room in the cot for day sleeps only. At night it was back in our room in a Portacot.

In fact...we've moved her back into our room as our bedroom is the only one with aircon (besides the loungeroom) as it's far too hot for DD to sleep day/night in her room during these summer months.

I think you'll both feel very differently once bub is born & is physically here in front of your eyes. Right now bub is still a bit of a concept so it's easy to mull over all these kind of idea's of what you think you'll do once they're born.

Once they are you'll probably find what you actually do is completely different😊
    Last edited by BlondeinBrisvegas; 29-12-2015 at 12:07.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    DD1 went straight into her own room
    DD2 was in a bassinet in our room for 6wks as we didnt have a room to put her in, once we moved house she was in her own room.
    DS was in a bassinet & our bed for first 12ish wks then into his own room

No need to make a solid decision now, wait till bub arrives and do what works for you. Its not that hard to relocate a bassinet or cot

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 20/8/15100 Posts in a week - week ended 13/8/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 6/8/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 30/7/15
    My baby cousin slept in her parents room and was breastfed and yet she still was a sids baby . It happens wherever they sleep.
    Yes..sadly it does.

It's about minimising the risk as best as you can.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Stay opened minded and when bub arrives you'll know what to do

I had every intention for DD to go straight into a cot in her own room. She had other ideas though and would only sleep in my arms. So she ended up in my bed (against SID guidelines). Now at 6 months she happily sleeps in a cot most of the time. The cot is in my room, mainly for my sake so I can easily attend to her during the night. If bub is a noisy sleeper and the patents light sleepers I can totally understand how things would work better with bub in their own room. Parents need sleep to function to look after their babies!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:

Oh FFS's!!! No-one is saying that but you!! Your children are way older & the guidelines were probably different then though I don't know for certain.

I only BF DD for 6 weeks due to supply issues. I don't think I'm a cruel or crap mother because of it!!

Yes...people getting on the BF bandwagon grates on my nerves too sometimes as some of them seem to think there's no legitimate reason that a baby can't be BF etc which is BS but whatever!!

As to the sleeping in the same room debate...the guidelines are there for a reason...for safety & to minimise the SIDS risk. These days a lot more is known about SIDS & how to minimise & perhaps in some cases, prevent it.

I think in this day & age it's negligent not to follow them & I personally wouldn't take the risk.
    Last edited by BlondeinBrisvegas; 29-12-2015 at 10:44.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlondeinBrisvegas For This Useful Post:

BettyV  (29-12-2015),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (29-12-2015)

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast