Closed Thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My dd was in our room from birth to 8 months. Was in her own room from 8 months to 3 with rotten nights sleep every night for everyone. She'd come in fight us, scream, drift off, scream. From 3 til now (almost 5) she sleeps in our room on the floor on her mattress. Sleeps through every night no dramas.
    Do whatever you feel ....

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD's were in my bedroom for the first 12 months (DD3 for 14 months). They all now sleep in their own rooms with no issues.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ScubaGal View Post
    Ps don't let anyone tell you that you need to make a baby sleep alone in another room or you'll have a problem later. Plenty of adults don't like sleeping alone so why would a helpless newborn?

I'm sorry but that's nonsense. Infants are tiny helpless little creatures and they are meant to be very close to their mother and pretty much attached to the breast early on. It's got nothing to do with how they will sleep later.

By six months 60% will sleep through the night (5hours) and 40% won't. There's bugger all you can do about which camp your baby is in and you'll drive yourself mad trying and worrying about it.

Look up Howard Chilton and get his book Baby on Board. He's a well respected paediatrician.
    What @ScubaGal said.

Please please please don't put a newborn in a room on her own from birth. It's unnatural and in my opinion bordering on cruel. A baby had been in its mothers womb since conception and to be in the dark in such an alien environment can do so much damage. Many studies have shown that any distance from mum while sleeping in the first three months will increase stress levels of Bub, increase risk of SIDS, stunt development and exhaust mum getting up a million times a night.

Once people stop trying to get their 'old life back' and accept that having a baby means a total change of how they live then mums and bubs will be a whole lot less stressed.

The best advice is let mum follow her instinct and protect it fiercely as she'll know best once bubs arrives.

All the best. Such an exciting time ahead!

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to amiracle4me For This Useful Post:

BlondeinBrisvegas  (29-12-2015),bluehawaii  (29-12-2015),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (29-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default To sleep with the baby in the same room or not

Here's the study re: stress levels in babies and mums. Co sleeping certainly isn't for everyone but having bubs in your room for the first few months can be hugely beneficial for mum and Bub.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/ar...od-hearts.html

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to amiracle4me For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (29-12-2015),BlondeinBrisvegas  (29-12-2015),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (29-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by amiracle4me View Post
    Here's the study re: stress levels in babies and mums. Co sleeping certainly isn't for everyone but having bubs in your room for the first few months can be hugely beneficial for mum and Bub.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/ar...od-hearts.html
    This study has attracted a lot of criticism from the scientific community. The sample was only 16 babies, all of which were from one location, who were all 2 days old, was for only one hour and was only related to skin to skin contact. Its hardly representative of all babies/mothers. It was not a sufficient sample size or duration.

Please fact check before you accuse other parents of abusing and neglecting their babies.

ETA - FTR I agree that as per SIDS guidelines it is ideal for bub to room share until 6 months.
    Last edited by Frankenmum; 29-12-2015 at 09:07.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Frankenmum View Post
    This study has attracted a lot of criticism from the scientific community. The sample was only 16 babies, all of which were from one location, who were all 2 days old, and was for only one hour. Its hardly representative of all babies/mothers. It was not a sufficient sample size or duration.

Please fact check before you accuse other parents of abusing and neglecting their babies.
    Thanks for the extra info. I'm however not accusing anyone. It's my personal opinion of which we are all allowed to give in an open forum.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to amiracle4me For This Useful Post:

BlondeinBrisvegas  (29-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by amiracle4me View Post
    Thanks for the extra info. I'm however not accusing anyone. It's my personal opinion of which we are all allowed to give in an open forum.
    It's a shame that you'd choose to label vulnerable new parents "cruel" and tell them they're irreversibly damaging their babies for choosing what might be best for their family. I'd hate to think that a sleep deprived, borderline pnd new mum might come on here and read your words and be spiralled into guilt and further sleep deprivation because of them.

Everyone is entitled to share their opinion, but it would be nice if accusatory and emotive, unkind words were not used.

I understand you're coming from a place of love and compassion for babies though.

All the best.
    Last edited by Frankenmum; 29-12-2015 at 09:19.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Frankenmum For This Useful Post:

amyd  (29-12-2015),babyno1onboard  (29-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Frankenmum View Post
    It's a shame that you'd choose to label vulnerable new parents "cruel" for choosing what might be best for their family. I'd hate to think that a sleep deprived, borderline pnd new mum might come on here and read your words and be spiralled into guilt and further sleep deprivation because of them.

Everyone is entitled to share their opinion, but it would be nice if accusatory and emotive, unkind words were not used.

I understand you're coming from a place of love and compassion for babies though.

All the best.
    That's never my intention and I hope a new mum doesn't feel that way. I've suffered PND and it's very hard to get through.

I do however genuinely feel stress and worry for any newborn separated from its mum and left on its own. I can't fathom it. For that reason I was honest in my opinion.

I do agree tho that all mums should ultimately do what their instinct tells them and what's right for their specific family.

There are 50 thousand different parenting styles out there and I was just giving my ten cents. Happy to agree to disagree.

As OP was asking tho my DD was in our room for the first 6 months as per SIDS guidelines.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to amiracle4me For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (29-12-2015),BlondeinBrisvegas  (29-12-2015),Frankenmum  (29-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD was in our room for the first 4 or 5 months and then moved into a cot in a separate room when she outgrew the bassinet. In hindsight I wish I had trusted my instincts (and followed the SIDS guidelines) and kept her in with us for longer.

DS was in with us from birth until 2 years of age. We probably would have moved him out of our room earlier (but after 12 months) if he had his own room to go into, but he had to share with our DD so we waited until he was consistently sleeping through.

Both happily sleep by themselves now at 3 and 5 years old.

Personally, I wouldn't feel comfortable having a newborn in a different room from me for alot of reasons, including the SIDs guidelines. However, everyone is different and the cost/benefit analysis of newborn sleeping arrangements depends on each family.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to sajimum For This Useful Post:

BlondeinBrisvegas  (29-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm sorry you had to go through pnd hun, I was borderline due to sleep deprivation and it was just so horrid. You have a lot of strength to have come through that x

I could tell you were coming from a place of real compassion. I can't stand to hear babies cry and not just scoop them up and cuddle them! They're so vulnerable and tiny. So I do know how you feel.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Frankenmum For This Useful Post:

amiracle4me  (29-12-2015)