+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Seriously. Love you all for replying to my pathetic post I'm starting to feel a little better. The isolation is a pretty big deal too, I'm finding and while I haven't had friends for a while (kids pretty much take up my time), I realise now that I'm at a point where I want/need to change that.

Mod-Degrassi, what's a window box unit? Where would I buy one? Would it be easy to install? I've been looking at portable units which require a great big hose to hang out the window and cost over $500 which I think is outrageous for what they are. But if I could get something that I could just put in the window that would be great!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Tickle View Post

Mod-Degrassi, what's a window box unit? Where would I buy one? Would it be easy to install? I've been looking at portable units which require a great big hose to hang out the window and cost over $500 which I think is outrageous for what they are. But if I could get something that I could just put in the window that would be great!
    This is the kind of unit I'm referring to:

http://www.thegoodguys.com.au/kelvin...r-con-kwh15cme

Most big electrical retailers should stock them.

We got a friend of the family who is one of those handy type people to install it. It sits almost fully on the outside of the window, so you need to put some brackets up (we had permission from the landlord) to hold it.

If your DH has some tools (drill) and is handy he'll probably be able to do it himself.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Degrassi For This Useful Post:

Mrs Tickle  (27-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Aha, one of those! We have sliding windows and no screens so I daresay asking the landlord to be allowed to install a bracket shouldn't be too much of an ask. I will make this a priority tomorrow.

Perhaps you're right: if I fix the cooling situation first, I'll feel strong enough to reassess the rest.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mrs Tickle For This Useful Post:

CakeyMumma  (27-12-2015),Mod-Degrassi  (27-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yeah I live about an hour west of Brisbane and it's typically about 4 degrees hotter than Brisbane in the summer. Its unbearable!! We installed air con 2 years and it has made life so much easier for those extremely muggy and hot days.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Frankenmum For This Useful Post:

Mrs Tickle  (27-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    It sounds really tough but with time hopefully you can start to feel settled, part of me envies you as I would love to do what you've done even having read how you feel, the fact that you did it I think is awesome.

As for your air con situation can you buy one of these (or something similar) I know it's not cheap but may be worth your sanity.

http://www.thegoodguys.com.au/convai...itioner-002552

9. The Following User Says Thank You to ICanDream For This Useful Post:

Mrs Tickle  (27-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Tickle View Post
    Seriously. Love you all for replying to my pathetic post I'm starting to feel a little better. The isolation is a pretty big deal too, I'm finding and while I haven't had friends for a while (kids pretty much take up my time), I realise now that I'm at a point where I want/need to change that.
    Your post isn't pathetic. Where are you living exactly? You don't need to say the name of the town - if you say direction and hours from Brisbane, I would have a pretty good idea. Reason I ask is because I have / had relatives in small towns relatively close to Brisbane and may be able to give you some tips. I do know in some small towns it can be difficult to be accepted by the locals until you are second or third generation.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ICanDream View Post
    It sounds really tough but with time hopefully you can start to feel settled, part of me envies you as I would love to do what you've done even having read how you feel, the fact that you did it I think is awesome.
    We did it out of necessity, ICD. South Australia is a state that is seriously in trouble in terms of good government and bleeding finances with only a dead end in sight. We watched as friends lost jobs, one by one, industries closed and nothing new going on (except the submarine project that the government is obsessed about - and they can't even get that right). We felt that if we didn't get out, we'd never get out. Since ending up in Queensland, hubby's been inundated with work and thankfully we are now starting to get ourselves on an even keel. My eldest child, however (he's nearly 5), is finding it very difficult to settle and constantly asks to go home so....for every move there's payback.

Still, since starting this thread I came across a similar one in here and copied down some suggestions in terms of how to get involved in a new town. I've been quite surprised at how inwardly difficult it was to reach out. But, I bit the bullet and introduced myself to my new neighbours. And they are awesome! Then I saw a notice asking for darts players and I joined. And I'm in the process of getting involved with the P&C at child's school...

The landlord has said no to putting a bracket in for the box conditioner and has refused to put a split system (not that I asked for that, she just said no anyway) so I've opted for a portable air conditioner which is going to cost nearly $900 but it's a 6KW output which means it will do the main room and bedrooms. So it'll take me a little while to save for it but I'll get there. And at least we'll be able to take it with us when we leave.

All in all, I'm glad I started this thread. I felt a bit lost before. I don't now. So a heartfelt thank you to all again.