+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default 6 month old not showing preference to mum or dad.

Hi I am just wondering what other people's 6 month old were like with strangers? My baby will go to anyone without even looking for me or anything. I feel so attached to him and hold him all day, play with him etc, so I thought he'd get attached to me back. But he doesn't show any preference to me at all. He acts like he doesn't even know me when he is with other people, it breaks my heart.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default 6 month old not showing preference to mum or dad.

My DD is just 7 months and she's happy to go off with anyone. She just had her first orientation at daycare, where I left her for 2 hours, and she didn't cry or get distressed at all.

It's not a sign that your bubs doesn't care for you or doesn't prefer you, it's mainly developmental. I'm sure your little one saves his biggest smiles for you & his dad.

Best wishes!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Depends on the kid. At that age my son would go to anyone, my daughter however can only be hold by me. Not even dad, only mum...!!

I can tell you which situation I prefer!

Also 6months is very young, most bubs wouldn't experience separation anxiety yet.

It's good that your baby feels comfortable with other people, it means he's secure in his attachment with you

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by wobbleyhorse View Post
    My DD is just 7 months and she's happy to go off with anyone. She just had her first orientation at daycare, where I left her for 2 hours, and she didn't cry or get distressed at all.

It's not a sign that your bubs doesn't care for you or doesn't prefer you, it's mainly developmental. I'm sure your little one saves his biggest smiles for you & his dad.

Best wishes!
    My ds1 was exactly the same. He started daycare at 7 months and we never had a single tear. Yep it hurts when you drop them off but it's great to think how independent they are and who really wants their child getting upset just to make themselves feel loved. Of course they know who you are, I used to think my ds1 didn't care less who I was and although he's still not clingy at 2 years, he's very affectionate and shows he loves me. My ds2 who is now 6 months is one of those babies who gazes adoringly at me all day and while it's lovely now, I worry that he will have separation issues later on.
    Babies will always know who mummy is even if they don't always show it!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to nh2489 For This Useful Post:

wobbleyhorse  (26-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    It just shows that you've created a little being who's comfortable in the world

Thanks
    Reviews
    My 6 month old DD is the same. Happy with anyone. Even when she's upset anyone can console her. She's not excited to see me when I pick her up from crèche or when my mum babysat her for 18 hrs! I thought I'd be missed after 18 hrs but nope.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My dd at that age only wanted me. But ds was happy to go to anyone, now at 20 months its dad only (which i dont mind)

Thanks
    Reviews
    One of my babies were like that. No seperation anxiety or obvious preference for parents over strangers. As that child has grown it is obvious that it's a personality trait. My child makes friends EVERYWHERE...and in the school playground kids from all years play with my child. Every year the class teacher comments on how easily my child makes friends. But the love for both parents is there...it's just a wonderful personality trait.