+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Pregnancy induced Hair Loss

Hi, I'm enquiring about whether anybody else has suffered from massive hair loss during pregnancy?

I've lost so much hair that one side of my head is practically bald! I can still cover it with other hair but it's definitely noticeable that i've have very thin, thin hair and I can only wear my hair in one position (a bun) as it's the only way I can cover all the bald spots. I used to have quite a full looking messy bun and now it's barely existent.

My hair doesn't fall out in clumps all over the place or anything, it all mostly happens when I brush or wash my hair.

Can any body shed any light on what may be going on or whether they've experienced the same thing before?

I though my hair was meant to get thicker during pregnancy - not send me bald!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I lost hair after birth so not sure!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 20/8/15100 Posts in a week - week ended 13/8/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 6/8/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 30/7/15
    I lost sh!tloads of hair when I was Preggo with DD too Luv. Although I have fine hair..I have a lot of it (naturally curly) so no bald spots for me...just a barely there handful of hair.

Yes...most women's do grow when pregnant then shed after birth though for other women , they lose it in pregnancy & it grows back after.

It is on the unusual side for this to happen though not entirely unheard of. Another Lovely in the Preggo/Parenting thread I'm in had it happen to her also.

Why?? I don't know 100% though most likely hormonal. Lacking in certain vitamins/minerals can cause it too but apart from iron/calcium which was easily rectified when I was Preggo with supplements, all my levels for everything else was always well within the normal ranges.

How far along are you?? Most definitely let your OB/Midwife/GP know so they can run any further testing if required. None of them could tell me with any real certainty why but I still let them know.

There's not a lot you can do about it besides making sure you're not lacking in things like vitamins/minerals/protein. I don't think any kind of hair,skin & nail supplement is able to be taken when Preggo either??

My hair did end up growing back in after DD was born so yours should too Luv as long as it is Preggo related.
    Last edited by BlondeinBrisvegas; 25-12-2015 at 06:28.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I lost loads during pregnancy but then it stopped after birth. I guess it's just hormonal and like preg symptoms we are all different!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Can be thyroid related too - hyperthyroidism will contribute to thin hair/hair loss. I feel your pain - my hair used to be quite long and thick - now it is so hard to grow, and very thin. Just another of the things we give to our kids, I guess!