+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Toddler sleep nightmare

I'm in need of some ideas.
    I'm at my wits end.
    My (just) 2yr old has always been a terrible sleeper.
    I'm a single parent with 100% care.
    When my mum puts her down for a sleep, no problems, if she has a sleep when spending time with her dad, no problems but me trying to get her down?! Massive dramas.
    Every nap (unless she's in the car) and every evening is a nightmare that can take up 1.5hrs and usually ends in me losing my sh*t and yelling and her crying.
    She always tired when I try and put her down (but not over tired)but she just keeps mucking up. She wants another story, she wants a drink, she wants to hold my hand. She's up, she's down, arms up, bum up, sitting up, playing with teddy, legs up on the wall. Drama drama drama.
    I lose my mind, yell, storm out, she cries, I go back in she lies in bed for a second and then starts all over again.
    I can't leave until she falls asleep otherwise the water works start again.
    What do I do? I'm so over it being such a bunfight every night trying to get her to sleep.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD who is also 2 is the same! I'm having some success with telling her I will lay down with her if she is still and quiet. When she starts mucking about I giver her a warning/ count to three and if she doesn't settle down I leave the room. She calls out and I usually leave her for a few minutes then go in give her a hug and say the same thing.

I've been doing it for about 2 weeks now and bed time has gone from 1.5hrs to 40min so I'm super happy. Hoping it might get even better. Plus I find walking away for 2-5min gives me a chance to compose myself as well.

Good luck.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to inner hippy For This Useful Post:

SpecialK  (24-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks @innerhippy
    That's what I've been doing this week.
    I'll have to keep it up.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DS at almost 3 does thia with me. I lie down and pretend to sleep and ignore him. It does not stop him but I use it to get off my feet (use earphones and listen to music).

I have water, sheets, pillows etc in reach and tell him to get it himself. He still takes forever but I am less stressed. Sorry I have no ideas.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post:

SpecialK  (24-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Back to reply soon

Thanks
    Reviews
    i had my first like this and did almost lose my mind (single parent, ex didnt have a stable home so had very little contact with him at that stage), second one started to go hell so I put a gate up and walked out, he still cries sometimes but I go in, settle and leave and hes okay most of the time, currently all over the shop thanks to molars and christmas stuff but he's better then he was

Thanks
    Reviews
    Does your DD need you in the room? Or do you say goodnight and then leave her for a bit?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by twinklify View Post
    Does your DD need you in the room? Or do you say goodnight and then leave her for a bit?
    I can't leave, she loses it.
    I can't leave her to CIO. I left her carry on for a few minutes while I compose myself but I can't bring myself to leave her to wail until she falls asleep.
    My mum says I should leave her to it and she will soon learn.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SpecialK View Post
    I can't leave, she loses it.
    I can't leave her to CIO. I left her carry on for a few minutes while I compose myself but I can't bring myself to leave her to wail until she falls asleep.
    My mum says I should leave her to it and she will soon learn.
    My DS loses it too so I understand you. I also cannot leave him to CIO. Its so hard.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm so over it. I've just lost it and made her cry but I'm so frustrated that every freaking night I have such a struggle on my hands.

She tired. She's now overtired as I've been trying for an hour to get her down.

Why is it so hard to go to sleep?