+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week

Default Is your 3/4 year old EVER happy?

So my DD is 3 and will be 4 at the start of March. She just never seems happy!

Every day she doesn't want to do what we tell her to do - from eating, to getting dressed, to going out, to staying in all day. So you give her 2 or 3 options but she never wants those.

In the same breath though when you're being silly with her or playing with her (with what SHE wants to play with) she's giggly and smiley and happy. But the second something doesn't go her way, she turns into hysterical hyperventilating mess. We seem to battle everything every single day. It's getting rather old and monotonous as the happy periods are so few and far between.

Is this normal 3/4 year old behaviour? If not, what could be the problem? I feel that she isn't happy with the amount of attention she gets. But we give her so much attention. But I also have a 15 month old DS who is very needy to deal with and a household to run and work 3 days a week. I feel like I can't give her any more quality time than I do - we would have just the two of us at least an hour and a half a day together just the two of us, but maybe that's not enough?

Experiences greatly appreciated and Merry Christmas to all

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Hey @A-Squared.

My second is turning 4 in June 2016. She isn't like your dd. Yes we do get grumpy days but mostly she is a happy camper. And my dd1 is 5yo and is also mostly a happy child.

Sounds awful but maybe your dd is just a grumpy kiddo?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (24-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My Ds2 turns 4 also is March.
    He is happiest when he is being the most destructive. lol

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to White Mage For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (24-12-2015),CakeyMumma  (24-12-2015),misho  (24-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by White Mage View Post
    My Ds2 turns 4 also is March.
    He is happiest when he is being the most destructive. lol
    This is my DS to a tee. He turned 4 last month. The happy times are few and far between unfortunately.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to just her chameleon For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (24-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeah, our DD (3) is like this now, except when she's getting constant attention. We're on holiday ATM and she's spending most of her time with her 10 & 12 year old aunties. No meltdowns whatsoever. With us it's "no, I won't", "if you do that I'll kick" etc etc.
    Honestly, I think it's normal, but responses etc. help. Ours is definitely better behaved if I'm really positive and avoid telling her what to do unless absolutely necessary.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Renn For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (24-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I found 3yo more challenge mind than the 2s!

My ds2 turned 4 in oct. He was lovely when he was alone with me, a terror when we were out and about. Defiant, screaming, shouting..

The day after his 4th birthday, it was like a light turned on... Happy, compliant (lol) and was able to deal with his own emotions.

I think your dd sounds normal. Just remember to breathe OP, stick to your guns and eventually it will pass

11. The Following User Says Thank You to misho For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (24-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by A-Squared View Post
    So my DD is 3 and will be 4 at the start of March. She just never seems happy!

Every day she doesn't want to do what we tell her to do - from eating, to getting dressed, to going out, to staying in all day. So you give her 2 or 3 options but she never wants those.

In the same breath though when you're being silly with her or playing with her (with what SHE wants to play with) she's giggly and smiley and happy. But the second something doesn't go her way, she turns into hysterical hyperventilating mess. We seem to battle everything every single day. It's getting rather old and monotonous as the happy periods are so few and far between.

Is this normal 3/4 year old behaviour? If not, what could be the problem? I feel that she isn't happy with the amount of attention she gets. But we give her so much attention. But I also have a 15 month old DS who is very needy to deal with and a household to run and work 3 days a week. I feel like I can't give her any more quality time than I do - we would have just the two of us at least an hour and a half a day together just the two of us, but maybe that's not enough?

Experiences greatly appreciated and Merry Christmas to all

Out of curiosity is she a good sleeper, in bed by 7 up at 7 sort of thing?

I found if we had broken sleep or a few late nights the tougher the attitude from the kid.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    @misho, she's a great sleeper now. She is in bed between 7:30 and 7:45 and up at 6:30/7.

She did tell me the other day she cries because she's hungry but she has a lot of good aversions from her allergies and CMPI and turns down most of the food I offer. Maybe that could contribute to it too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    4 has been a nightmare year for us. DS1 is a bit like Jekyll and Hyde. So happy and sweet, then in the next breath shouting that I am rude and he doesn't love me. Trying to ride it out but missing my sweet kid to be honest...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by misho View Post
    I found 3yo more challenge mind than the 2s!

My ds2 turned 4 in oct. He was lovely when he was alone with me, a terror when we were out and about. Defiant, screaming, shouting..

The day after his 4th birthday, it was like a light turned on... Happy, compliant (lol) and was able to deal with his own emotions.

I think your dd sounds normal. Just remember to breathe OP, stick to your guns and eventually it will pass
    We had the opposite, he was a great baby, a sweet 2 & 3 year old but turned 4 and went feral on me!