+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Which formula?

Just looking for some advice about formula.

My bub is 14 months old. He has been having S26 lactose free formula for a little while, and I am wanting to do a trial transition to a regular formula containing lactose to see how he goes.

My bub seemed to develop a bit of lactose intolerance (persistent green poos) after a mild gastro type virus when he was about 7mths old. The Dr recommended we try lactose free formula for a while, which we did, from about 9 months. DS seemed to do a bit better on the lactose free formula.

We then did a trial re-introduction of regular formula at about 11 months (Bellamy's Stage 2), and he started having 3 poos per day, some green-ish. The MCHN recommended we go back to lactose free formula, and give DS probiotics for a month or so to sort out his gut flora. We have done this for the past 6 weeks or so, and DS has been doing a lot better on the whole. Both the Dr and the MCHN think that it's just a temporary lactose sensitivity. We have still been giving DS cheese, yoghurt, etc, just no lactose in the formula.

I think it's time to trial a transition back to formula containing lactose, and I'm looking for recommendations.

I like Bellamy's (it's organic, Australian, and has the cool scrapey thing inside the can so you can level off the scoops), but it's been so hard to find lately that I'm reluctant to go back on it and be constantly worried it'll be out of stock. The MCHN mentioned A2 might be good, but I think that's been hard to find lately too?

I know I could just start him on regular milk rather than formula, but he's been really fussy with food lately, so I'd like him to get some extra nutrition from formula for a bit longer.

Also, should I give 14mth DS the Stage 2 (up to 12 months) or Stage 3 (toddler milk) formula?

Ps his weight is fine, though he seems to be slimming down as he's walking more and more, and he's otherwise healthy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    My daughter is the same age and I went with stage 3. What about a "comfort" formula?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mamasupial For This Useful Post:

JustJaq  (27-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My ds1 went to bellamy's toddler at 13 months after cows milk made him constipated, as instructed by our dr. He did well on it. You could try a toddler formula and add probiotics?
    Otherwise nan comfort is a gentle formula with added probiotics. I used that on ds1 up until 12 months. Ds2 is 3 months and on it too.

Ds1 is 2.5 and skinny too. I was worried but dr said it's fine as he's extremely active

5. The Following User Says Thank You to meandmyboys82 For This Useful Post:

JustJaq  (27-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for your replies. I haven't really looked into Comfort formulas. Maybe one with probiotics would be good too... So many to choose from, and such a hassle to change between them! I just want to pick the 'right' one!

Anyone else with any recommendations?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Was just thinking, the aptamil Futura range has probiotics and prebiotics in it, but is a bit pricey

8. The Following User Says Thank You to meandmyboys82 For This Useful Post:

JustJaq  (27-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you. I think they might have had shortages too? Sigh..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Plenty of it our local woolies, it's all the others that are empty. Lucky so far nan comfort has been easy to find
    *knock on wood*

I've seen asian family's tag teaming to clean out the bellamy's and aptamil gold ranges. Makes me so angry.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to meandmyboys82 For This Useful Post:

JustJaq  (29-12-2015)