+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Our Aus Post delivery woman is amazing. She opens the side gate, pats our dog and safely puts our packages on our deck. I also find the parcel post satchels to be good value - you can send 5kg for around $17. That said a jump from 70c to $1 is exhorbitant. Sounds like they're actively discouraging people from sending letters.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubintummy View Post
    It just cost my MIL $60 to send the kids Christmas presents to us from Tasmania to NSW. It was a smallish box and wasn't that heavy. I almost fell over when she told me!
    Postage can be surprisingly expensive. I was a bit shocked when I posted a box of jelly beans the other day and it cost me $19.30 in postage. This was almost the same dollar value as the gift!

Would have been better value to post the person a $40 gift voucher instead.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Some people might find this interesting... The "Toll Group" has just been bought by Japan Post. Apparently it is very lucrative.

Sent from my SM-N910G using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubintummy View Post
    It just cost my MIL $60 to send the kids Christmas presents to us from Tasmania to NSW. It was a smallish box and wasn't that heavy. I almost fell over when she told me!
    I don't live in the same state as either of my brothers so we now buy for our own kids and put the Uncles/Aunts/Cousins names on it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by amyd View Post
    I don't live in the same state as either of my brothers so we now buy for our own kids and put the Uncles/Aunts/Cousins names on it.
    We also do this now. Just transfer money for kids and do the shoppung ourselves and put their aunts/uncles name on it

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by amyd View Post
    Yep, I told MIL that she should just give me a list (she always knows what she wants to buy the kids) and I'll go and get it. She did that for me this year for our nieces, works out much better!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    It means I will be looking for alternatives.
    AusPost is so rubbish (here anyway) and I refuse to pay more for less.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I read a story about the complaints from people about Aus Post closure on NYE.

Is it not common knowledge that they are always closed NYE? They do this due to the amount of overtime etc in the Christmas period.

Anyway, today is the day.

BH-KatiesMum is offline Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    since email/social media ... people simply do not send letters anymore.

Companies post only 1/2 or less the number of commercial mail (bills/statements etc), companies do not post/deliver catalogues ... the number of actual letters is down a staggering percent.

But still, Australia Post must deliver to each house every day ... so the costs have not gone down commesurate with the volume of postage.

Yes the number of packages has gone up - but many packages are delivered by courier/private delivery, so Australia Posts overall revenue has dropped a huge amount.

Its really not that surprising that with the changing circumstances of letter delivery, the costs are going up a huge amount.

I feel for Australia Post. Their business is changing and they need to change with it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by twinklify View Post
    I read a story about the complaints from people about Aus Post closure on NYE.

Is it not common knowledge that they are always closed NYE? They do this due to the amount of overtime etc in the Christmas period.

Anyway, today is the day.
    I knew because the lady who runs the local post office told me. She said it was their annual 'picnic day'.

I think it's pretty lame that people went out of their way to complain!