+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by J37 View Post
    I don't know much about this at all, but I have a question for those of you who do... Given many people now shop online, and therefore have items posted to them, doesn't this generate significant income for Australia Post? I understand the humble letter has mostly been replaced by email, but surely parcel post has increased significantly?

Sent from my SM-N910G using The Bub Hub mobile app
    a lot of providers don't use Australia post. they'll use a courier service, dhl etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Postage stamp cost increasing to $1 - will this effect you?

Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    I'm surprised by this view. Australia post is actually considered one of the leading edge postal services in the world. If it's not first its second in terms of using cutting edge technology.

As for British post I thought they seemed to always be on strike. I've lost track of the number of times things sent to me from the uk have gone missing or are delayed due to strikes. The weather seems to also have an impact on mail in Europe.

I tried sending a parcel from New York once and it was stupidly expensive. I can't comment beyond that.

The reality is most people don't post small items anymore and like many services like eBay for eg, they are discouraging the use of them by small users by charging more.

I don't think the increase will cover costs. I think it's being increased for symbolic reasons.
    Well I can only speak from my experience but we've had no issues with posting or receiving in the two years we've been in the UK and I always find sending packages back to OZ and US much cheaper. I was just in the states and ordered quite a bit from the sales and was impressed with how frequently and quickly mail arrived. Likewise sending stuff to and from. I've only had issues in OZ, i missed out on 6 months of a magazine subscription that was a gift because they were delivering it to the apartment building next door, the address was written correctly, this happened with some bills as well. Various packages have arrived damaged or not arrived at all. We've asked DH's mom to stop sending us Australian treats as I can't believe the amount she is spending on postage when the package arrives, it's just not worth it. I've never been more frustrated with a postal service than when in Australia.

Don't get me started on stamp machines though, why do no countries outside of the US not have these? Makes life so much easier!

Eta: i would guess that cutting edge technology doesn't make up for incompetent costumer service or delivery.
    Last edited by HollyGolightly81; 23-12-2015 at 19:40.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think it's just letters going up, not parcels:

http://auspost.com.au/parcels-mail/pricing-updates.html

4. The Following User Says Thank You to smallpotatoes For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (23-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by J37 View Post
    I don't know much about this at all, but I have a question for those of you who do... Given many people now shop online, and therefore have items posted to them, doesn't this generate significant income for Australia Post? I understand the humble letter has mostly been replaced by email, but surely parcel post has increased significantly?

Sent from my SM-N910G using The Bub Hub mobile app
    What I buy online would not be posted for $1. It would be either a parcel bag, express post or courier.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by HollyGolightly81 View Post
    Well I can only speak from my experience but we've had no issues with posting or receiving in the two years we've been in the UK and I always find sending packages back to OZ and US much cheaper. I was just in the states and ordered quite a bit from the sales and was impressed with how frequently and quickly mail arrived. Likewise sending stuff to and from. I've only had issues in OZ, i missed out on 6 months of a magazine subscription that was a gift because they were delivering it to the apartment building next door, the address was written correctly, this happened with some bills as well. Various packages have arrived damaged or not arrived at all. We've asked DH's mom to stop sending us Australian treats as I can't believe the amount she is spending on postage when the package arrives, it's just not worth it. I've never been more frustrated with a postal service than when in Australia.

Don't get me started on stamp machines though, why do no countries outside of the US not have these? Makes life so much easier!

Eta: i would guess that cutting edge technology doesn't make up for incompetent costumer service or delivery.
    Look I've had dreadful experiences with aus post recently but have also had terrible experiences with European and US services. It is a fact though aus post is not as bad as people generally think b

The US is considered the best, then usually Japan and Korea. Australia recently ranked 4th.

By its shear size the US postal service would be expected to be great.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by turquoisecoast View Post
    a lot of providers don't use Australia post. they'll use a courier service, dhl etc.
    Star track (courier service) is either owned or partnered with Auspost so assuming they generate income from that. I actually don't have much bad to say about Auspost. Except that one parcel person who did not even knock on the door to deliver my parcel! All of the rest of them in my area are lovely - they even pander to DS's fascination with parcels! And one of them looks longingly at DH's 'play' car. Also my local parcel pickup (its not a PO but is a delivery centre) is just down the road and pretty good.

Re: stamp prices. Does not affect me much. Don't send many letters. But I can see if affecting small/medium sized businesses.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    Look I've had dreadful experiences with aus post recently but have also had terrible experiences with European and US services. It is a fact though aus post is not as bad as people generally think b

The US is considered the best, then usually Japan and Korea. Australia recently ranked 4th.

By its shear size the US postal service would be expected to be great.
    Why so defensive about Aus Post? It's just my opinion Sonja and I can only base my opinion on my experience, doesn't matter how it ranks in the world, for me it was ****e.

Example: I just posted some calendars at 500g in large envelopes to Aus for £8.45 ($17.37 AU). My MIL just post a knit jumper for two year old DS which i just weighed at 180g (was in a small envelope that fit through our door) for I believe $18 something (I no longer have the envelope but it was definitely 18 something. Sending that to Australia from the UK would be £5, so cheaper than $18.

Eta: I just calculated that package on OZ post and it was $18.20.

The Calendar would have been $39.10 to send from OZ- UK--that is insane!!!!

One difference I noticed is OZ post calculates postage by every 500g.
    Last edited by HollyGolightly81; 23-12-2015 at 20:15.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:

I'm not being defensive. I'm just reflecting facts, not personal experiences.

Sorry it's Christmas and I don't want to fight.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I think Australia post is a joke. They increased express post envelopes by ridiculous amounts.

My husband has most of his family in Ireland. I stopped sending presents to them via post due to cost after one year when it cost me almost $150 to send cards and a small calendar to about 9 people that really wasn't that heavy and some photos of the kids. Now I order online from Irish shops and get them delivered that way.

What is it with Australia post not franking stamps? Every time I receive a letter or parcel, the stamps are not franked. I don't use stamps that much but I'm sure people reuse them. No wonder the letter delivery service lost $350 million this year.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    I think Australia post is a joke. They increased express post envelopes by ridiculous amounts.

My husband has most of his family in Ireland. I stopped sending presents to them via post due to cost after one year when it cost me almost $150 to send cards and a small calendar to about 9 people that really wasn't that heavy and some photos of the kids. Now I order online from Irish shops and get them delivered that way.

What is it with Australia post not franking stamps? Every time I receive a letter or parcel, the stamps are not franked. I don't use stamps that much but I'm sure people reuse them. No wonder the letter delivery service lost $350 million this year.
    I just calculated the difference of a calendar I sent from UK-OZ which was $17.37/£8.45, if I'd sent it OZ-UK it would have cost $39.10---that is ridiculous! To send one calendar!