+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    With the new laws the centres are now legally allowed to discriminate against unvaxxed kids ( up until
    now they could not as long as you had a contentious objection form) so Id say your centre has a new policy which technically they can just start from 1st Jan saying if you can't provide the Medicare form showing they are fully vaxxed they can cancel your enrolment , ( I'm assuming as long as they send you the new policy from 1st Jan then legally they are covered) I don't think there is much you can do unfortunately so maybe try find another one who will still take kids not fully up to date
    I'm not sure I quite agree with your last point. The fact is her child is vaccinated. They aren't discriminating because of vaccination but because Medicare hasn't provided a letter. Other forms of proof should be sufficient given this is a last minute change in the policy of the daycare centre.

There would usually be a grace period to allow people to get the correct documents together. It's basic procedural fairness.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Childcare and vaccines - sudden discrimination.

As of the 1st of Jan it's up to the Childcare centre of they charge non vaxxed children full fees or exclude them. This has been advertised in many ways for months.

Medicare can be extremely slow at updating records.

If you do have proof from your doctor it should be fine, I have had issues with my child's records not being updated in a timely manner even though she's on the regular immunisation schedule.
    If it's the centres policy there isn't much you can do without proof.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    I'm not sure I quite agree with your last point. The fact is her child is vaccinated. They aren't discriminating because of vaccination but because Medicare hasn't provided a letter. Other forms of proof should be sufficient given this is a last minute change in the policy of the daycare centre.

There would usually be a grace period to allow people to get the correct documents together. It's basic procedural fairness.
    I agree. As much as it makes me happy that daycares are taking actions regarding unvaccinated children - there should have been a much more clearer message and a reasonable time frame to get kids up to date should you choose to.

If they wanted to exclude children in January then they should have notified parents around October at the latest, giving 3 months notice.

However I got the impression by the OP that the kids were still completing the schedule?!?!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

With DS pre school the only form of proof they accept is the Medicare printout ( the immunisation register )that the vaxes are up to date so I'm assuming her childcare would be the same - you can't dodgy up medicare files but Dr letters and blue books can be - well that's what our pre school owner said!
    Last edited by Elijahs Mum; 23-12-2015 at 07:26.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    With DS pre school the only form of proof they accept is the Medicare printout ( the immunisation register )that the vaxes are up to date so I'm assuming her childcare would be the same - you can't dodgy up medicare files but Dr letters and blue books can be - well that's what our pre school owner said!
    I find that really odd. But like I said I've never come across this requirement before. We sometimes get our Medicare letters 6 months after immunisations. They're not very up to date.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    OP, can you please clarify - is your child now fully up to date with their vaccinations (including MMR)?

Or do they still have some to catch up on via the catch up schedule your doctor has provided?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I find that really odd. But like I said I've never come across this requirement before. We sometimes get our Medicare letters 6 months after immunisations. They're not very up to date.
    If you create a MyGov/Medicare account, you can access and print the vaccination record quite easy.
    I'm not sure how soon after vaccinations that it is available, though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Even though there have been months of awareness that this was coming in to play in January, it's unfair of your centre to not inform you sooner than they have. Reasonable practice would have been to send out a generic letter to all families at the centre, informing them of the changes and what this could mean to them if their child isn't up to date without acceptable reason.
    Unfortunately, that didn't happen, so your best bet would be to take the letter from your Doctor to Medicare and ask them to update your file/type a letter for your child care centre or ask your doctor to correctly update your intended schedule so that it correlates with Medicare records.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 20/8/15100 Posts in a week - week ended 13/8/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 6/8/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 30/7/15
    Either go into Medicare directly & get them to print off the form or if you have a MyGov account & your child has an E-health record you can print the relevant form (Immunisation Register) from the Medicare website directly as that's what I did for my DD when enrolling her for DC to start in the New Year.

I agree your DC Centre should've communicated more effectively with you about this & not have left it to the last minute but they are well within their rights to exclude your child until they get a copy of the form.

The new Legislation that's effective as of 1st Jan 2016 ptevents CC Centres from being sued for discrimination if they *choose* to exclude unvaccinated children (medical exceptions accepted of course). However, it's up to the individual Centres whether they implement that policy or not.

The new legislation doesn't aoply to all states either but definitely does here in QLD thankfully.
    Last edited by BlondeinBrisvegas; 23-12-2015 at 08:19.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I "think" the Drs have direct access to the register - I know when DS had his 4 year old ones the nurse went straight to the computer and said she was notifying medicare - when you log in it shows you the date they had them and which ones , that's the printout our pre school requires