+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Childcare and vaccines - sudden discrimination.

3 years ago i enrolled my child into a childcare with a conscientious objection form. The child care was very welcoming, mentioning they had other children on conscientious objection terms too and it was no big deal.

I continued so vax my child selectively and always gave them updated vax record (I'm not anti vax)

Towards the end of the September child care emailed all parents about the new laws and loss of CCB and CCR etc for children who were not up to date I took this on board and decided to complete the schedule.

In December Dr and health service created a catch up schedule for my child but I just learn that the Dr did not lodge it correctly so it has not shown up in medicare yet (grrrr!)

In mid December one of the managers of child preschool spoke to me in the corridor and said child can not return in 2016 if into had his MMR (her exact words, she was only worried about MMR). I told her we are already on catch up schedule and MMR will be given by then. Today 22/12 second manager called me saying they need child's immunization schedule complete or child can not return in 2016.

Here is the thing, there is an updated schedule and i have this in writing from my general practitioner. I have informed child care that it's all in the hands on medicare now to read the faxed forms and update child record so it states 'on catch up schedule' it's not hard for them to do but it is the Christmas break and I can't hurry them.

child care response was pretty much 'too bad so sad, your dr note means nothing'

They have never told me in writing that child will be excluded or that that as of 1/1/2015 their center will not accept unvax children at all. I know child care has the right to make their own policies but to call to 1 day before Christmas and make this threat, saying Dr certificate is not enough seems absurd to me.

where do I stand?, there is nothing in writing anywhere that they do not accept un-vaccinated children. My child has done nothing wrong and technically until the 1/1/2016 I as a mother have not done anything that the government/laws did not approve off. Giving medicare 1 weeks (during the Christmas break) to update his schedule is ridiculous. And knowing very well that child is on catch up schedule with evidence from Dr including copies of all claims and faxes seems like they are not acting in child's best interest at all. Any advice on what I can do? I don't want child excluded whilst we wait for medicare to do their thing and what is really important (the catch up schedule) is already in place and has already been started. giving 1 week notice is unreasonable even the woman at medicare was shaking her head.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Legally, if your child is not up to date, despite being in a catch up schedule, are they allowed at day care next year? I thought that's what the ads were about?

Anyway, that does seem very harsh on your child... so have Medicare said there is nothing they can do? I only bring s stamped letter/mchn book to day care after each vac so it's odd that yours requires more???

Sorry I can't be more helpful, I'm not sure if the legalities etc.

Oh! Actually, can't you perhaps lie and get a conscientious objection letter from your doc then instead based on something? Until you're up to date???

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    My kids were all vaccinated on schedule but Medicare stuffed up the records for one of mine and it didn't show up on her records for ages. No one ever asked or cared so long as her child / baby book was kept up to date.

I'd ask to see the policy where it says they require a letter from Medicare before worrying and if it does I'd be on the phone to Medicare or visit one of their offices and demand the letter. This is not an uncommon problem. Medicare seems to often be late issuing the letters either because the doctors or whoever gives the vaccine is late updating records or the problem lies with Medicare.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am following all the rules.

It seems child care have made up a new rule/policy and let me know over the phone on the last day of school.

conscientious objections have now ceased and my form no longer means anything and I accept that.

I'm lucky as i started a catch up schedule weeks ago. Imagine the parents who were just going to pay full fees and keep their kid unvaccinated and getting a call on the last day getting told their child will be signed out. It's extremely unethical to not give this information earlier and in writing.

very poorly handled.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sonja if they have nothing in writing then what.... i can't take them to court it's not worth it.. but can I complain to the child care tribunal or something?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

With the new laws the centres are now legally allowed to discriminate against unvaxxed kids ( up until
    now they could not as long as you had a contentious objection form) so Id say your centre has a new policy which technically they can just start from 1st Jan saying if you can't provide the Medicare form showing they are fully vaxxed they can cancel your enrolment , ( I'm assuming as long as they send you the new policy from 1st Jan then legally they are covered) I don't think there is much you can do unfortunately so maybe try find another one who will still take kids not fully up to date

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

If you knew about the new laws and loss of CCR/CCB back in September why was a catch up schedule only started a few weeks ago? And why wasn't the schedule organised to be completed earlier so you didn't miss out on the rebates?

If immunizations have been given but aren't showing up on the record contact your doctor. If the doctor has already resent that information contact the Medicare/Centrelink health line and ask for priority processing. Don't hide how generally upset you are at the thought of your kid being kicked out if daycare. If you are polite and respectful they might process the information as a priority (they did this for me when I had a similar problem. Medicare records showed by eldest vax weren't up to date but it was only because they had his birthday recorded incorrectly).

Bottom line if the vax's are given so late that Medicare isn't able to inform daycare by the 31 December then you may have to take a few weeks off work in early jan until it's sorted.
    Last edited by VicPark; 23-12-2015 at 05:21.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

BlondeinBrisvegas  (23-12-2015),Meld85  (23-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by babybloom View Post
    Sonja if they have nothing in writing then what.... i can't take them to court it's not worth it.. but can I complain to the child care tribunal or something?
    I would approach it two ways.

Unless I've misunderstood your child is now on schedule? So the issue is with Medicare not providing the letter?

I'd take the records from the doctor which show all vaccines are now up to date to the head of the child care centre and ask why this isn't sufficient. Ask them to point to where the letter from Medicare is a requirement.

I'd also be going to Medicare in person and explaining why the letter is urgent. Honestly if the lack of letter meant my child missed a spot at child care I'd be sitting in their offices until they gave it to me.

If they can't give it to you on the spot get some form of written letter saying when you will get it. Find out from child care what will keep them happy until the letter is available.

Honestly I find this all a bit odd as I've only ever used Medicare letters for convenience (saves photocopying the records). Of my 4 kids no one has ever actually required it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    If you knew about the new laws and loss of CCR/CCB back in September why was a catch up schedule only started a few weeks ago? And why wasn't the schedule organised to be completed earlier so you didn't miss out on the rebates?

If immunizations have been given but aren't showing up on the record contact your doctor. If the doctor has already resent that information contact the Medicare/Centrelink health line and ask for priority processing. Don't hide how generally upset you are at the thought of your kid being kicked out if daycare. If you are polite and respectful they might process the information as a priority (they did this for me when I had a similar problem. Medicare records showed by eldest vax weren't up to date but it was only because they had his birthday recorded incorrectly).

Bottom line if the vax's are given so late that Medicare isn't able to inform daycare by the 31 December then you may have to take a few weeks off work in early jan until it's sorted.

Dr did not inform medicare that child is on catch up schedule so it just looks like i go in when i want and give what vaccines I want. Dr though that health services who created the schedule would link with medicare and do it automatically (which they do not) The Dr is just the paper pusher here and he didn't push the paper correctly.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Your birth book is only for your records. It's all done off an official Medicare form. I think there will come a time when daycare centres will have a log in to check this info.

So all the vax are completed and just not updated? Go into Medicare with the records from your gp and maybe they can update it quicker?