+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Prefers Dad to Mum

As the title says I feel as though my DD (13 mths) prefers her dad to me. I don't have a problem as such and think its great they have a good bond but I feel a little hurt sometimes.

If I am holding her she will reach out for him and if I take her off him for a cuddle she can sometimes cry. If she's upset at night and crying its him she wants and if she wakes up crying and I pick her up she cries more and tries to climb out of my arms if she knows he is there.

Is this normal? I wanted a girl so she would have a great bond with her dad like I did but shouldn't she want me for comfort more as I am her mum?! I work three days a week and DP works FT. We go for walks as a family, he does bathtime and bedtime and I do most of her feeds. On days I don't work I always try and do stuff with her so we're not just stuck at home all day.

Thanks.....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I don't know if it's normal but my 6 month old DD prefers DP over me. I'm happy they have bonded so well (particularly given that DP is rarely home) however it is a bit frustrating as he has two children from a previous relationship who of course favour their Dad over their stepmother. I wanted a child of my own so I'd have that special relationship - but no, all three kids prefer DP!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to babyno1onboard For This Useful Post:

Molros  (06-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have two girls who absolutely adored their father when they were babies and toddlers. I think it is natural. They are now 8 and 11 and the 11 year old is a mummy's girl and their father and I are now divorced but when ever they go to see their dad, they have a great time. Please don't worry about it too much. I am 29 weeks along with my partner's first and we think it's a girl (ultrasounds haven't confirmed anything grr but there has been no evidence of little boy bits lol), and I assume if it's a girl, she will be a daddy's girl. Your time will come mum, your time will come

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Marchbundle For This Useful Post:

Molros  (06-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Totally natural. My DD preferred me (still does) but my DS is a daddy's boy. Been parented exactly the same way. They're funny little things.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to smallpotatoes For This Useful Post:

Molros  (06-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    All 4 of my girls 'prefer' dh. I think its because he is not the one home all the time, therefore isn't the one always disciplining them etc (although he does when he is home)- he is the 'fun parent'. I don't see it as they prefer him over me, more that they just have a different bond with him. Another thing is their personalities- dd1, dd3 and dd4 are very active and rough and tumble type kids, much like dh, whereas dd2 is a lot more placid and quiet, she would prefer to read books or draw and hates rough play (much like me). She is probably less of a daddy's girl than the others because she can't relate to him on that level like the others do.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to SheWarrior For This Useful Post:

Molros  (06-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    At that age my dd would go straight to dh also. But she had also spent all day with me and i am the main person to discipline in the house as dh is also at work. But now she is 6 she would prefer to do stuff with me as we have more in common.
    Now ds is 20 months he follows dh around all day long or his pop when he visits. Dh has two weeks off and I cant wait to use it as my own personal break lol

In my experience it is definitely normal and they will go between parents throughout the years

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I've got 3x girls. The eldest and youngest are daddy's girls. The middle child is partial to me.

But all three prefer their grandmothers to both of us.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

BettyV  (22-12-2015),Molros  (06-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia&Hannah View Post

But all three prefer their grandmothers to both of us.
    That is very true. Once the grandparents arrive its goodbye mum and dad!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Purple Poppy For This Useful Post:

Molros  (06-07-2016)