+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Mater or Wesley - Alex Alexander or Ross Turner

Hi everyone,first post here. I'm looking at an obstetrician and hospital, either the Wesley or mater private. I would like a doctor who isn't judgemental or overly opinionated - my husband and I are planning on a large family and we're really tired of the comments we get, particularly from medical professionals.

I've narrowed it down to Alex Alexander at the Mater or Ross Turner at the Wesley. Can anyone give me a brief rundown on what these guys are like, personality wise?

Thanks for any help

Thanks
    Reviews
    No help with the ob as I'm seeing someone different but I can't fault the mater hospital. I had a wonderful experience and stay there with ds (5 days before induction and then 5 days after). Very helpful with breastfeeding and they let us stay as long as we needed so did not feel rushed to leave after a vaginal birth. And the food was amazing haha it's literally a small buffet. I also liked that it has a higher level nicu just in case. Booked in again in about 6 weeks for number 2

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Same here. Mater mothers is a tertiary hospital so will take all births whereas Wesley can't do births under 34wks ish.

I've got 3x mater babies. Phenomenonal nurses/midwives and carers.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I loved the Wesley, my mum is also a midwife there. I didn't go through dr turner but have heard fabulous things about him from others and I believe he is well thought of among the staff there. Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    The Wesley was fabulous. They call it the Milton Hilton. Don't know about the OB you have mentioned, but my birth and stay there were great. For me it also meant avoiding the city, but that depends on what direction you are coming from.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Mater or Wesley - Alex Alexander or Ross Turner

When you say you want a large family, how many kids are you thinking? Do you have any already? I would be looking at the individual doctors caesarean rate if I could. If you require a caesarean for any reason it can have an impact on how many pregnancies/labours etc you can have and not all obstetricians are as accommodating with VBACs. I only say this as I know one of these doctors and I believe his caesarean rate is higher than the recommendations out by WHO and I don't see too many of his patients coming in for a VBAC. Not saying you'll ever require a caesarean of course, but it just might be something you hadn't considered.

What led you to choose these particular obstetricians? Were there any others you were initially looking at but struck off your list for whatever reason?

For what it's worth I can give you some recommendations of some lovely obs who would be supportive of a large family (or certainly not negative of it).

7. The Following User Says Thank You to M'LadyEm For This Useful Post:

Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (22-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I highly recommend the teams at either Arrivals or Eve Health over AA for the Mater. Also, the care you will receive from the Matet midwives is outstanding.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Dr de bhal is at the mater and Wesley. She herself has 5 kids and is a fantastic doctor.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sile De Bahl actually delivered my son since my ob had a family death. She was fantastic during labour and I would say old school trained. Gave me some tough love when I needed it and helped me avoid a csec with my bp issues. I can't comment on her bedside manner really but that's neither here nor there she was fantastic for delivery.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the responses guys. This delivery will be a c section and bedside manner is one of my highest priorities. I don't want to give someone thousands of dollars if I don't feel comfortable with them. Thanks again