+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'm not sure what the industry you work in is like however in my experience every time I've applied for a job the time between applying and actually starting had always been 2-3 months. Interviews, contracts, medicals, etc seem to take forever. If you apply now, I doubt they would even look at your application until after NY, then do interviews, organise contracts, etc - you prob wouldn't start until March at the earliest. That's only 2 months before you were going to go back anyway. Another option is to say in the interview that you can't start until after a certain date. The other candidates would need to give their current employers 4 weeks notice so that shouldn't put you at a disadvantage.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh that is a dilemma but what a great idea that your partner can stay at home part time... I am also the higher income earner in our household but also own my own business so I have a lot of flexibility and we are also about to upgrade our house too! I haven't even had the baby yet but I know for sure that me working part time and around my partners hours will ensure that we have a balanced lifestyle and I will keep an active mind... We both agreed by upgrading the house which is well within our means by the way we are also creating a nest egg for bubs too! I know our lives will change and I will probably not want to leave future bubs but I believe any child benefits from
    Working parents! I grew up with parents who worked and had careers and we always respected the hard work they put in have us kids and so young back then! your career when the kids are older will thank you and so will your kids and you won't miss out on anything instead cherish the time you will get together good luck with your choice though it sounds like you know which way to go

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/9/2014Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/7/2014200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by babyno1onboard View Post
    I'm not sure what the industry you work in is like however in my experience every time I've applied for a job the time between applying and actually starting had always been 2-3 months. Interviews, contracts, medicals, etc seem to take forever. If you apply now, I doubt they would even look at your application until after NY, then do interviews, organise contracts, etc - you prob wouldn't start until March at the earliest. That's only 2 months before you were going to go back anyway. Another option is to say in the interview that you can't start until after a certain date. The other candidates would need to give their current employers 4 weeks notice so that shouldn't put you at a disadvantage.
    Yes I'm banking on at least mid February to March for a start date and I'm hoping also that they'll want me enough to negotiate some days at home, particularly in the beginning to make it an easier transition. Hopefully a good employer will just see that as a smart way to start so I don't collapse in a puddle..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    I am the main bread winner in our house and returned to work when DD was 4 months. It has been the hardest year and I feel like I have missed a lot but it has really gotten us ahead for the first time. Hoping I can stay at home when #2 arrives.

hakuna matata is online now The artist formerly know as babyhopeful
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    It's definitely a tough one!! I am the main breadwinner too, and when I had DS I was just starting out in my career. I started work full time when he was 11 months old and dh dropped to part time. It stayed that way until he went to school. The bond between my husband and son is amazing, and I'm so glad they got that time together. I'm now pregnant with number 2, and fir me to have any chance of staying at home longer dh has completely changed his career to have a better, more stable income.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to hakuna matata For This Useful Post:

ScubaGal  (22-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Could you look for some part time roles at the same time? Just in case you find something?

Sometimes fulltime roles have room to negotiate for part time too.

Nothing is set in stone you could start the fulltime work and if it doesn't work drop back to something part time?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Clementine Grace For This Useful Post:

ScubaGal  (23-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I just want to say nothing will reduce your bond with your boy Even if you go back full time, you are his only mum and he will know that! Just hang in there and keep weighing up the options as they are presented, if you get an offer and it's not quite right, just keep going. As far as putting DS in childcare, don't have any regrets about that. It will be wonderful for him! I work 5 days, 5 hours a day and DD is in childcare for three of those days, she absolutely loves it and learns so much. It makes our time together much better quality. I don't know anyone who works full time that feels like they have less of a band with their kids, it will always be there

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/9/2014Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/7/2014200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by amcyus View Post
    I just want to say nothing will reduce your bond with your boy Even if you go back full time, you are his only mum and he will know that! Just hang in there and keep weighing up the options as they are presented, if you get an offer and it's not quite right, just keep going. As far as putting DS in childcare, don't have any regrets about that. It will be wonderful for him! I work 5 days, 5 hours a day and DD is in childcare for three of those days, she absolutely loves it and learns so much. It makes our time together much better quality. I don't know anyone who works full time that feels like they have less of a band with their kids, it will always be there
    Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by amcyus View Post
    I agree with this 100%. DS started part time daycare rom 8m and I have worked full time this year since he was 19m old. He loves daycare and they LOVE him, they do so much cool stuff together. I don't feel like it has had any impact on our bond and I don't feel like I've missed out on much as, despite him spending 10hrs in daycare mon-fri, we still get heaps of time together. It has been hard though, especially as he's not a great night sleeper.

With my 7yo though, I do feel like I miss out on lots - reading with her in the morning, attending sport days and special assemblies etc at school, and just generally doing a bit of networking with school mums to help her socially (eg. organising playdates, clarifying the other side of the story when there's been a conflict etc). She also knows what it is like when I am home or working part time, so can tell me she likes that better and she misses me. I've found that so much harder than leaving my "baby" in daycare each day.

I don't regret the year working full time though, not only has it meant we finally bought our own house, it gave me the opportunity to 'prove myself' at work and secure a 3 day position for this year coming.

hakuna matata is online now The artist formerly know as babyhopeful
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I agree about missing out on more as a school mum! I'm lucky to have great parents who do school pick ups and drop offs, and attend special days. But I do feel like I've missed a lot. I'll be glad to be on may leave next year and get to be a school mum for the first time.