+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Working in age care, hours cut dramatically.

Hi all. I have been working in aged care for 2 years as a casual and despite numerous e-mails and meetings with the manager, I have never been able to secure permanent employment due to there being nothing available at all. I have been averaging 80 hours a fortnight as a casual for 2 years and all of a sudden I have found the hours im getting cut dramatically. The past few fortnights i have only had 49, 56 and 43 hours. What can I do?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Have they done a big recruitment lately? I found when i was a casual, i would only get rostered 3 or 4 shifts a fortnight then when they called me up i would have to say yes because they know i depend on the hours but luckily i part time and have been a few years.

Are the shifts you have been doing, are they the same shifts every week? If there is consistancy with the shifts, they cant deny you going part time. Are you in the union? The union can talk to them on your behalf. Also check your EBA agreement because in ours, if it shows we have been doing consistant shifts, we can move on from being casual to part time(my employer no longer hires full time).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes, two of the arvos n one morning i have done the exact shift for a year, but the person who has the shift has been on light duties, so they cant give it to me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Unfortunately that's the nature of being casual, you are not guaranteed hours.

You say you work close to 80 hours a fortnight? Are most of these call ins or rostered? Do you say yes every time they ring? Maybe they are keen to keep you casual as they rely on you to cover shifts....using and abusing you.

Also I know in my workplace as soon as staff go part time (no full time here either) SOME stop picking up shifts, stop trying so hard so become crap workers etc.

If most of your shifts are covering leave/light duties they will probably come a time when those shifts won't be there anymore either.

I know over the holiday period our employers budget is extra tight die to all the public holiday pay so they really cut down on casuals (therefore save on loadings).

Hugs. It's so hard to be working your butt off and not getting recognition or stability. My employer (a big one) now for the past few years only offers contracts of 16 hours a fortnight, no matter how good you are or the fact you work many many more hours, that way they have leeway to cut hours/shifts if needed, plus save on sick leave. (Tightasses). Most choose to stay casual! If I were you I'd find another employer. There's usually plenty of work in aged care.

But no, there isn't much else apart from leave that you can do

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    @Little Miss Sunshine, the budgets might be tight but my gosh we have a lot of agency. My work place are only just starting to crack down on no shows, constant call in's for sickies. If its a consistant pattern, they are going to cutting down our hours til we can prove we can cope with X amount of hours.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Myztiks#1Fan For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (22-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Myztiks#1Fan View Post
    @Little Miss Sunshine, the budgets might be tight but my gosh we have a lot of agency. My work place are only just starting to crack down on no shows, constant call in's for sickies. If its a consistant pattern, they are going to cutting down our hours til we can prove we can cope with X amount of hours.
    My workplace never uses agency unless it's accreditation time lol. Way too expensive! They do offer staff overtime when exceptionally short- otherwise they take staff from other areas so every section has a crap day!
    Tbh I hate agency, I'd rather work short as I have to babysit them plus do so much extra.

Our work is shockers for repeated sickies and no shows. Management try and crack down but a lot of the time their hands are tied.

Casuals quite often end up with full time hours, but there are periods when there is not much for them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Miss Sunshine View Post
    My workplace never uses agency unless it's accreditation time lol. Way too expensive! They do offer staff overtime when exceptionally short- otherwise they take staff from other areas so every section has a crap day!
    Tbh I hate agency, I'd rather work short as I have to babysit them plus do so much extra.

Our work is shockers for repeated sickies and no shows. Management try and crack down but a lot of the time their hands are tied.

Casuals quite often end up with full time hours, but there are periods when there is not much for them.
    Guess it depends on how big the facility is really. I work in high care. In the mornings and arvos, its 2 staff to 15/16 residents, most who are doubles. As i work night shift, its 2 staff to 62 residents. We get a lot of agency in because we honestly cant do the work if we are short. We have been short many times though esp during the day as rosters never thought to just fill with whoever whether it was OT or not. I have had nights where they have called me up at 11pm for a 10pm start because they couldnt get anyone including agency to come in. We have 3 buildings on our facility site so over 500 residents plus throw in the retirement homes as well. The building i work in has 170ish residents.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/9/2014Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/7/2014200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    Not sure what part of aged care you work in but there are some pretty dramatic changes happening in the sector to the funding arrangements and lots of employers are having to reduce staff as a result...

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Myztiks#1Fan View Post
    Guess it depends on how big the facility is really. I work in high care. In the mornings and arvos, its 2 staff to 15/16 residents, most who are doubles. As i work night shift, its 2 staff to 62 residents. We get a lot of agency in because we honestly cant do the work if we are short. We have been short many times though esp during the day as rosters never thought to just fill with whoever whether it was OT or not. I have had nights where they have called me up at 11pm for a 10pm start because they couldnt get anyone including agency to come in. We have 3 buildings on our facility site so over 500 residents plus throw in the retirement homes as well. The building i work in has 170ish residents.
    I work high care too, our ratios are roughly similar 3:21 residents (day shift) , most are doubles. At night it's 4:105, two levels. it's horrendous. If they are short either they get someone to do a double shift (some arvo staff arvo always will say yes for the overtime) or as a last resort the RN works on the floor.

We are always short too. And ratios are really bad, they have cut down 1 staff per section per shift since 2 years ago and we were barely getting the work done then, so now when we are short it all falls to bits..... So the rns and management always try really hard to make sure our shifts are covered.
    Last edited by Little Miss Sunshine; 23-12-2015 at 12:21.