+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Night terrors?

Anyone's child suffer this? Apparently my child does according to the hospital staff.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    We have had a couple after he's been unwell and is overtired from it. Not fun! Is she having them often?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    My eldest went through a phase of suffering them around 18 months. Getting more sleep and not interrupting the terror (by waking the child) was key.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    My DS had a couple recently (at around 12 months old). The sleep psychologist I saw said night terrors only happen in the first half of the night. If they're happening more towards the morning, they aren't night terrors.

When does he usually wake?

Thanks
    Reviews
    DS1 had a couple a few months ago. I found that everytime he had them was a time when he hadn't had a day sleep and was really overtired.

Thanks
    Reviews
    She them during the night....the pead said he was happy to say it was night terrors.
    It's pretty bad, and she has like tantrum likes I do t know fits or seizures. And then just goes back to sleep like its nothing. They last a while. (5-7min)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    What have her naps been like on the nights she has them, has she not had as much sleep as normal? Is she under the weather at all? Most on the hub seem to say those were their main triggers.

Our last one last an hour! But because he'd been unwell I initially thought he was awake and just needed more Panadol or some milk, so I'd obviously made it worse. It was crazy and I had to turn on all of the lights and read a story to wake him up and snap him out of it. It hasn't happened since so was definitely because he was run down.

If it's happening regularly I know some hubbers have had luck stirring their child just before it usually happens and starting a new sleep cycle.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Yes.
    My daughter gets night terrors. They were really bad between about 18 months and 2 and bit.
    The sleep dr told me they usually happen about 3 hours (give or take) into their sleep. And that waking them during it can make it worse.
    If becomes regular (and not just a one off or irregular occurence) there are some things you can do.
    Take note of what time they occur and about 10 minutes before you gently rouse them. Maybe with a drink of water. Then put back to down to sleep. This stops the sleep cycle that causes them.

There are other things. Just trying to reassure and not wake during the terror. If you can.

I'm sure the paed can give you some suggestions.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you all for your responses. The paed told me to take note of when it happens.
    I don't think waking her would be a good idea, however if she does make a noise I quickly give her water.

Her day naps are still normal, actually sleeping Longer. Not sure if it's weather related.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Why aren't you meant to wake them?