+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Spin off of a spin off: regifting?

I was reading the ungrateful kk thread and saw talk of regifting. I have to confess this is something I have done very occasionally. Two occasions I can think of; 1) dd was given two copies of the where is the green sheep gift set when she was born. I ended up giving one as a first birthday gift to a different friend's daughter. 2) I got a green tea skin care set in my work's ss. I don't really do skin care stuff so I added it to a hamper-ish gift I gave a friend. She loves skin care stuff.

So to my point/question. Do you think regifting is always a no no? Are there circumstances where you have/would regift?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I personally do not like the concept of re-gifting. If I receive something that is not to my taste, I would either donate it to charity or give it to a friend or family member (not under the guise of a 'gift', but simply saying 'hey, would you like this?')

I don't think it's always a no-no, and I have no issue with others re-gifting, but for crying out loud do it thoughtfully! If you're passing something unwanted on as a 'gift' it should be in new condition and it should be something you are confident that the recipient will like. And if it's a food item - make sure it's within it's use by date!

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mod-Degrassi For This Useful Post:

Gracie's Mum  (22-12-2015),HearMeRoar  (21-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't think its always bad. I think in your examples above its fine. For me its a case of - is it something you would have bought and given as a gift yourself? Like with the green sheep book. If so, then that's fine. Versus just trying to offload something. Like if you're given a box of chocolates and they're poor quality or a weird flavour mix that is pretty unpopular and there's no way on earth you're eating that gross stuff. Then that's a big no on regifting.

And if you regift it has to be in mint condition still and not be too old. No dust, no broken anything, no damaged packaging etc.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to MissMuppet For This Useful Post:

Gracie's Mum  (22-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think it's fine if it's thoughtful. There's a massive difference between "hey, I think they would really like this" and "I really want to get rid of this".

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Renn For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (21-12-2015),smallpotatoes  (21-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by MissMuppet View Post
    I don't think its always bad. I think in your examples above its fine. For me its a case of - is it something you would have bought and given as a gift yourself? Like with the green sheep book. If so, then that's fine. Versus just trying to offload something. Like if you're given a box of chocolates and they're poor quality or a weird flavour mix that is pretty unpopular and there's no way on earth you're eating that gross stuff. Then that's a big no on regifting.

And if you regift it has to be in mint condition still and not be too old. No dust, no broken anything, no damaged packaging etc.
    This ^

Nothing wrong with re-gifting. If it's in new condition go for it. No point having things cluttering up your house just because someone gave it to you.

I must admit I'd usually give unwanted gifts to charity but more so because no one is having a birthday near mine or Christmas.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to A-Squared For This Useful Post:

Gracie85  (22-12-2015),LaDiDah  (21-12-2015)

TheGooch is offline Winner 2014 - Newbie of the Year
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Traditional etiquette would say that once a gift has been given, it's up to the recipient what they do with it.
    Traditional etiquette also turns its nose up at regifting for the most part! But there are some exceptions that seem to make it ok.
    First - it has to be new. No second hand stuff you decided you didn't like. You can give away second hand stuff of course but don't pretend it's a gift!
    Second - you actually have to think the recipient would like it. Not just to offload cr@p
    Third - providing the person who gave it to you didn't put huge effort into choosing something you would love and who would be heartbroken you passed it on.
    Third - it's not personalised or handmade just for you.

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TheGooch For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (21-12-2015),LaDiDah  (21-12-2015),MissMuppet  (21-12-2015),VicPark  (22-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Well.... I'm doing quite a bit of regifting this Christmas. My husband gets an enormous amount of amazing work gifts. It's quite ridiculous.

This year I'm regifting:
    Dr Dre beats headphones (we already have 2 pairs)
    Bottle of Dom
    Bose sound dock
    Gorge Jenson champagne bucket (we already have exact same one)
    Jo Malone candles and room spray

These are all perfectly packaged and the perfect present for the people I am giving them too. Seems silly to spend money on others gifts for them just so I not regifting. One year we got 3 of exactly the same Riedel decanters..... Of which I regifted 2. By regifting I'm actually giving better presents than we would have to budget to buy. I also sometimes regift present we get for the kids as they have far too many things but once again only if they are perfectly packaged and something I know they will like.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xyz987 For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (22-12-2015),TheGooch  (22-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by xyz987 View Post
    Well.... I'm doing quite a bit of regifting this Christmas. My husband gets an enormous amount of amazing work gifts. It's quite ridiculous.

This year I'm regifting:
    Dr Dre beats headphones (we already have 2 pairs)
    Bottle of Dom
    Bose sound dock
    Gorge Jenson champagne bucket (we already have exact same one)
    Jo Malone candles and room spray

These are all perfectly packaged and the perfect present for the people I am giving them too. Seems silly to spend money on others gifts for them just so I not regifting. One year we got 3 of exactly the same Riedel decanters..... Of which I regifted 2. By regifting I'm actually giving better presents than we would have to budget to buy. I also sometimes regift present we get for the kids as they have far too many things but once again only if they are perfectly packaged and something I know they will like.
    I wish you would regift all those to me

I only regift to people I'm not cost to buy obliged to buy gifts for, but it doesn't happen a lot as I rarely seem to get stuff I don't like our that I would be comfortable regifting (eg awful chocolate or something). I'm regifting this year to DH's cousin. I was given a giftpack from Crabtree & Evelyn which is nice enough but a) not my taste and b) I'm quite particular about the beauty products I use. DH's cousin is an obligation buy every xmas but to not get her something would ruffle feathers so we do. This year she gets this gift pack.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm definitely a re-gifter.
    Every year I get multiple bath and smelly gift packs, which are beautiful however I have sensitive skin which doesn't like change so I often re-gift these.

I also gifted myself a gorgeous pair of Windsor smith heels, however they are the tiniest bit too small for me. So I am regifting these to my sister. I know she will love them and they were quite pricey so I'm glad that is wasn't "wasted" money.

I'm all for regifting, just don't regift crap.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I recently had my third baby and I received gifts for him that will never be used. He was born 4.7kg and didn't fit newborn clothes plus being the third we had basically everything already. My parents gave him a beautiful brand new cot set, but we co sleep and never use the cot plus have two (unused) ones already. I put the gifts away and I do intend on regifting all of this in the future, but it will remain in good condition. I think it would be wasteful of me to not pass it on.

I often think good Sammy's and op shops receive too much and throw a lot away. I know the ones near us do anyway. Especially baby items. I want this stuff to go somewhere it will actually get used.