+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wise Enough View Post
    Any updates on your stalker?? Ummm I guess I'm stalking you to find out about your stalker!

Sorry Gracie's Mum for crashing your thread. I'm single and don't belong here.
    Anyone belongs here 😊

Thanks
    Reviews

Default What has your relationship endured?

Here goes... We've been together 7 years. This is just the bigger things, not the every day stuff. We're about to start counselling for all our usual relationship issues. Money, sex, trust etc.

My dad died.

I got swine flu

I fell down the stairs & broke my leg in 3 places; surgery

We both got whooping cough

Found out DH has zero sperm count. Testicular biopsies.
    3 years of IVF & one miscarriage

My ongoing bipolar 2 issues

My mum contracting septicaemia & nearly dying. Icu for 2 weeks.

After my C section my son was in NICU for 4 days. Then I contracted septicaemia, my wound opened up & leaked litres of fluid. 3 weeks in hospital & 6 weeks of daily nurse visits to pack wound.

Post natal depression & a mild psychosis.

Son chronically ill with ear infections; hearing affected till surgery at 2 years. Now speech delayed.

Failed last & only IVF cycle to try for a sibling. Zero fertilisation.

Last year I was hospitalised with pulmonary embolisms & splenic infarcts, ended up it was a rare strain of glandular fever. Kept tissuing cannulas so they put a pic line in. Got blood clot & staff infection in pic line. Had power line put in. 3 weeks in hospital & 3 weeks of home visits for IV antibiotics through power line.

Mother-in-law who we live with hospitalised for 3 months for anxiety, depression & bulimia. Still unwell

4 weeks ago my brother went to the Dr with back pain. We found out he had lung cancer that metastasised to the liver, lymph nodes, bone & blood. He passed away a week ago today. We had his funeral on Wednesday.

Through it all we're so lucky to have each other & our son.
    Last edited by ertgirl; 19-02-2016 at 21:42.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    This is a very interesting thread, I read some responses and seriously, it's mostly all the same problems. Problems that can be solved if both parties are willing to try. So it's all positive.

I will say this before I log off.... I personally do not believe there is a perfect relationship out there. Everyone argues, has disagreements, has family issues, finance issues and all our everyday worries, what people show in public and what goes on behind closed doors are 2 different things.

And well done to the people who have responded.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Nafsika For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (27-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Nafsika View Post
    This is a very interesting thread, I read some responses and seriously, it's mostly all the same problems. Problems that can be solved if both parties are willing to try. So it's all positive.

I will say this before I log off.... I personally do not believe there is a perfect relationship out there. Everyone argues, has disagreements, has family issues, finance issues and all our everyday worries, what people show in public and what goes on behind closed doors are 2 different things.

And well done to the people who have responded.
    That's why I started this thread. A safe place to reflect on your relationship and its ups and downs. I feel like I'm this social media world we live in we are often shown skewn images of what life is really like for other people/families. The truth is none of us really know what goes on behind those perfect scenes. Somehow hearing that other people have the same problems and battles reassures me that I am doing the right thing by continuing in my relationship, even with its flaws. We will get through.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Gracie's Mum For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (27-02-2016),ertgirl  (19-02-2016),KitiK  (20-02-2016),MsViking  (20-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Gracie's Mum View Post
    That's why I started this thread. A safe place to reflect on your relationship and its ups and downs. I feel like I'm this social media world we live in we are often shown skewn images of what life is really like for other people/families. The truth is none of us really know what goes on behind those perfect scenes. Somehow hearing that other people have the same problems and battles reassures me that I am doing the right thing by continuing in my relationship, even with its flaws. We will get through.
    Thanks for starting it. I've personally gained a lot from reading about everyone's struggles and triumphs, it's particularly heartening to hear that so many have been through so much yet still love their partners and hold hope for the future too.

We have been very lucky, but in our nearly 10 years together DH and I have endured:

- undiagnosable infertility, years of trying (and failing) to conceive naturally
    - IVF (successful but comes with its own special set of emotional and financial challenges)
    - very mentally ill mil that projects much of her frustration and blame onto DH, resulting in him having a few "mummy issues" that impact on our relationship and likely always will
    - DH leaving a good job to start a business, financial pressures of that
    - I "survived" a significant natural disaster (not physical survival, but mentally through my involvement in it with my job - sorry to be obtuse but don't really want to identify myself on here by sharing too much detail)
    - I had some PND after DDs birth (DH was just amazing, I don't know how I'd have got through it without him)
    - a sibling was struck down with severe mental illness

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nafsika View Post
    what people show in public and what goes on behind closed doors are 2 different things.
    Actually I have to disagree with this point, well, in my case anyway. I can honestly say that DP and I are no different behind closed doors than we are out in public. We are able to discuss problems respectfully and calmly and we show a great deal of affection and respect for each other, both in public and behind closed doors. The only thing we reserve for private discussion is obviously our finances. That's our business only and not for anyone else to hear.

This was definitely not the case with my exH! He was very verbally abusive behind closed doors. Nobody ever heard the horrible stuff he said to me (except unfortunately our DS). I left him when DS was 3.5yo.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
    Actually I have to disagree with this point, well, in my case anyway. I can honestly say that DP and I are no different behind closed doors than we are out in public. We are able to discuss problems respectfully and calmly and we show a great deal of affection and respect for each other, both in public and behind closed doors. The only thing we reserve for private discussion is obviously our finances. That's our business only and not for anyone else to hear.
    yes tend to agree. my dh and I are also the same in public and behind closed doors.

I think it's because our relationship is based on mutual trust and respect so there's no need to "put up a front" in public and try to appear as something other than what we are. we aren't perfect but things are generally good and I feel that's reflected in how we behave and treat eachother when we're out and about.

obviously we don't discuss private topics in public but that's just common sense.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Apart from two pregnancies where I had zero sex drive and the raising of two kids (so far). I suffered very badly with PND and it turned into a diagnosis of Bipolar. Many years of denial nearly cost me my husband (I totally don't blame him, if it was the other way round I would have left). I finally seeked help and things got better...until they got bad again. Now they are better again but who knows for how long. This something we will constantly be dealing with.

Dh did a traineeship where we took a pay cut of over half. We went form a 90k/year income to a 40k/year. That was really tough but He hated his 90k/year job and needed to do this. We got through it though. Now I'm at Tafe and we have again taken a pay cut. Lets see how this pans out...

We have already gotten through so much, I figure we can take on anything. Its only made our marriage stronger and our love more important.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Wise Enough View Post
    Any updates on your stalker?? Ummm I guess I'm stalking you to find out about your stalker!

Sorry Gracie's Mum for crashing your thread. I'm single and don't belong here.
    Yes! I'll update that thread soon. I haven't had the headspace and so much has happened. I'll try to update this weekend.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Bump for Saturday nights crowd