+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Californication View Post
    Backyard Chickens? That's quite good for info and chicken chat.
    Yep, that's the one. I found them when I was looking up info on peafowls (we inherited a peacock with the farm). Our boy has gone a bit quiet and I'm worried he might have something wrong with him. It's hard though as he's a completely free ranging peacock that won't let us get too close to it, so if he needs treatment I'm hoping it's something we can give hidden in food as I'm not sure we'd have much luck catching him.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Hollywood For This Useful Post:

gingermillie  (31-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Getting chickens - any advice?

Could he be lonely? I don't know anything about them, but the vineyards around here that have them always have a pair. And I've seen people posting for a mate when one of theirs has been taken/died.

ETA - that one is an American site, but I think there is one similar here in Australia. Make friends with your local produce store people too. One lady in particular a mine is my chicken guru
    Last edited by Californication; 20-12-2015 at 10:52.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Californication For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Californication View Post
    Could he be lonely? I don't know anything about them, but the vineyards around here that have them always have a pair. And I've seen people posting for a mate when one of theirs has been taken/died.

ETA - that one is an American site, but I think there is one similar here in Australia. Make friends with your local produce store people too. One lady in particular a mine is my chicken guru
    I don't think so, he's been by himself for nearly 8 years. I think something is up with his right eye. He closes it a lot and I've seen him scratch it. I can get close enough to see the eyeball in the sunlight and it looks fine, so whatever it is isn't visible as such, but does seem to be bothering him a bit.

It's hard though because I'm in and out of hospital with DD's chemo treatment and we have to be careful with money being on one income, so it's not like we have loads of spare money to spend on a sick bird. But I'm worried about him and hope it's something easily fixed.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Hollywood For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    We've had a few Isa browns over the years. Kept them in a home made coop at night and free range during the day. We bought feed from our local produce and gave them veggie scraps. Also dug up a part in the corner of our yard that was always full of worms.
    I would keep an eye on them with other pets. If your dog's don't end up liking them very much I suggest making their own little area. A friend of mine made tunnels out of chicken wire along the fence from their enclosure.
    We are chickenless now after our last one died a few years back. Would you believe she lasted 10 years?! I would love a few more but our yards a bit small. Store bought eggs just don't compare to fresh eggs from your own chickens.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to fluffykitty For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/9/2014Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/7/2014200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    @gingermillie keep them fully secured for the first couple of months so they learn that's where they live and make sure they have a good secured perch to roost in. Chickens can still fly even with their wings clipped. I lost a couple who went up in the roof, then tree to tree till we couldn't find them anymore.

I like to think they are still living in a park somewhere in south Sydney. 😕

10. The Following User Says Thank You to ScubaGal For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone I am so sorry things have been a bit hectic here (xmas, BIL arriving, DD being a nightmare etc) so I forgot I started this thread 😁 thanks for all the replies!
    So we got some chickens! We ended up with 5:
    Blue australorp (zuma)
    Gold laced wyandotte (Goldie)
    French maran wheaten (freckles)
    2 black frizzles (shizzle and fizzle)
    They're in 2 separate coops at the moment as the 3 chooks are 3-4 months old but the frizzles are only 4 weeks too cute. I read that the frizzles are fantastic in hot weather due to the feathers curling out. The blue australorp is top of the pecking order (bigger than the other 2) and the Wyandotte and French maran best buddies so far.
    ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1451520289.540311.jpgImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1451520306.763910.jpg

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by monnie24 View Post
    What sort of dogs do u have?

We bought a second hand coop off gumtree I can't remember how I cleaned it I think it said bleach and something else and sun light (for pests/parasites) if you go down second hand route.

Free range is good idea (of course lol) but just keep in mind dogs might not like. We have lost three chickens we now have none. Our neighbours stole one of chooks 🙄

Also check with your council even though your neighbour has them

We preferred scraps, shell grit and corn/seed. We get our feed from Oliver's. There is a good video on gardening Australia recently and it's even a Adelaide video I'm on my phone so I'm bit ditzy at linking lol.
    Thanks monnie we went to Oliver's and got a big bag of feed and shell grit 😀

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by rosey82 View Post
    I like Rhode Island Reds: reliable layers, lovely chooks.
    Do you know that bantam eggs are miniature size? I prefer to eat regular sized eggs so that might be a consideration.
    You may need to think about clipping their wings - you just clip the wing feathers short periodically so they can't fly & go roost in someone else's backyard lol!
    Maybe think about getting half grown chooks (I think they're called pullets), big enough to hold their own against the other pets.
    We couldn't get a Rhode Island Red unfortunately - the breeder didn't have any ready to go so we got the French maran instead she's very pretty 😀 they're 3-4 months old so nice size (except the frizzles are still babies). Only supervised interactions with the cats for a while to come. One of our cats is a bit too interested lol.
    ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1451520513.401224.jpg

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Getting chickens - any advice?

Goldie has lovely lacing! My remaining female doesn't have strong lacing. The rooster was the prettiest, but he attacked my 3yo DD so had to go.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gingermillie View Post
    We couldn't get a Rhode Island Red unfortunately - the breeder didn't have any ready to go so we got the French maran instead she's very pretty ������ they're 3-4 months old so nice size (except the frizzles are still babies). Only supervised interactions with the cats for a while to come. One of our cats is a bit too interested lol.
    Attachment 76975
    Congratulations on your chickens @gingermillie ! How exciting We have chickens and ducks. We had a French Maran Wheaten called Matilda who was my favourite chicken ever. She was so beautiful and clever, used to want to sit on my shoulder all the time and would come running when I called her name! She passed away suddenly out of the blue when she was about a year old and I was devastated. We still have a whole herb garden dedicated to her with a big cross in the middle with her name!

You've got some great advice on this thread already. HOw big is your backyard that they will free range in? Just be aware, if you're not already, that they will scratch and dig up your grass and eat most of the plants. We have ours confined in one decent size area and it's a dust bowl lol. We did find a way to give them their own patch of grass though - we've laid a nice big square of it, put wood around the sides and mesh over the top. They can still peck at the grass and find bugs in it, but not scratch it up! We also created a few fun things for our chickens to do - interestingly stacked logs to climb on, a mirror to look at themselves in and 'snack baskets'(hanging baskets we put lettuces and other scraps in for them to use like a pinata )

I am trying to convince my DH we need a silver or gold wyandotte and a barred rock added to our flock

16. The Following User Says Thank You to HillDweller For This Useful Post:

gingermillie  (15-01-2016)