+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Cleaning tips needed

Hi mums

2 quick cleaning related queries please.

How does everyone organise their washing, specifically soiled children's clothing (with food stains or dirt etc). Do you wash daily to avoid the stains setting in? Leaving in a basket in the bedroom or laundry? (I'm always paranoid of ants if I leave clothes in the bedroom basket covered in weetbix or strawberries). And then wash every few days or every week? Or some sort of 'soaking system'? Any tips much appreciated as I don't think I'm being as effective and efficient.

Secondly we've moved into a rental 2 years ago with a dishwasher and I've never used it because I've never had one before, so used to just washing dishes. Baby #2 is almost here so I want to start using it but not idea of the best detergent? It's a Miele if that means anything and the manual was useless - it went on about working out if our water is hard or soft and potentially adding salt? Way too much hard work!

Many thanks in advance for your replies x

Thanks
    Reviews
    Subbing as I need stain removal help also! Nothing I have used so far has worked 🙁

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Me too! Nappy San only works on stains that are still 'wet'.

So I'm stumped!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I've only had success with a sard stick. It's hard to describe but basically it's a wind up stick with the s sard brand and you wipe it all over the stain and leave it for 48 hours. It doesn't always work but it's better than nappy san

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (19-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Stain removal cheat sheet
    1450489132813.jpg

I wash every day (usually). Stuff like weetbix etc I rinse the clothes straight away. Sometimes if I have been lazy and not washed for a few days, I set the machine to 'heavy duty' clean, and do it twice.

Dish washing powder, I have found the Finish Quantum or Fairy Ultimate work best. I have used the Coles home brand one as well and found it quite good as well.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Miele Dishwasher salt can be purchases online here:

http://www.mieleshop.com.au/dishwash...ducts/miele-au

I don't own a Miele dishwasher, but from what I can make out (ie having read responses to this question before) it is a European thing and the dishwasher will work out fine with adding it.

I have a Bosch and use Finish Quantum tablets. They are expensive, I buy in bulk when they come on sale.

In terms of stains on kids clothes, I have a front loader and find it gets most stains out without the need to soak. (In other words I'm too lazy to soak and just chuck everything in the machine and hope for the best).

When my kids were little I always had a bucket of napisan on the go and would just add to it during the day and wash the contents the next day. The Sard Wonder sticks mentioned upthread are great. As is a good scrub with Sard wonder soap.

ETA - re the dishwasher salt - the paragraph below is from Wikipedia on water hardness in Australia - if you live in Sydney, Canberra, Melbourne, Darwin or Hobart I wouldn't bother. It may be worth it in Brisbane, Adelaide or Perth :

Analysis of water hardness in major Australian cities by the Australian Water Association shows a range from very soft (Melbourne) to very hard (Adelaide). Total Hardness levels of calcium carbonate in ppm are: Canberra: 40;[26]Melbourne: 10–26;[27]Sydney: 39.4–60.1;[28]Perth: 29–226;[29]Brisbane: 100;[30]Adelaide: 134–148;[31]Hobart: 5.8–34.4;[32]Darwin: 31.[33]

Last edited by SSecret Squirrel; 19-12-2015 at 12:45.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    For clothes - I just rinse them as much as possible straight away and hang them on the towel rack (so they're not all wet and squashed while they're waiting to be washed), then just throw them in with everything else every few days. But I also just let my toddler eat with just a nappy on to avoid the problem in the first place

Thanks
    Reviews
    Clothes - I would spray them with a stain remover ASAP, scrub and then soak in a bucket of napisan overnight before throwing them in the wash the next morning.

Dishwasher - I just use the Finish tablets and some rinse aid.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I always have a nappy San bucket soaking next to the washing machine for things that are super dirty - at most clothes are in there two days as we wash regularly...

Thanks
    Reviews
    First of all i cant believe you have had a dishwasher for 2yrs and not used it - i use ours daily.
    I use the finish liquid gel tablet things, not sure what they are called exactly.

Clothes washing i do a load a day. If something is really stained like strawberries on a white tshirt i scrub with sard wonder soap then leave to soak in a bucket of napisan till i was the next day.