+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Changing early xmas plans due to gastro - WWYD?

Hurting my head trying to decide what to do. Meant to be heading to Melbourne (4 hour drive) for an early xmas with my side of the family tomorrow. We do an early xmas dinner, pressies for kids and Secret Santa for adults.

Last Sunday DD2 started off a run of gastro in the house. All feeling better apart from DH who is the last to come down with it this morning but he isn't coming to Melbourne with us anyway (has PTSD and can't handle the whole big noisy get together). Coincidentally my sister's family has had gastro go through the house this week also but all feeling better now.

Everyone hates gastro but I have an extra anxiety over it and would just hate to go to Melbourne and take our germs with us or pick up the bug my sister's family have had and everyone ends up sick and miserable at Xmas. It's also going to be a stinking hot weekend in Melbourne and maybe not the best for travelling. And I feel like staying home and disinfecting the house from top to bottom!

My family is leaving the decision completely up to me. My thoughts are delay our Xmas get together until everyone is well and truly better. However if we don't go tomorrow my next chance to make it down to Melbourne won't be until 8th Jan. And DS will miss out on getting taken to gold class Star Wars with his uncle but he doesn't know about those plans anyway and I can take him to a regular session during the week.

Am I being reasonable to postpone? Or overreacting - should be fine if we are all over the symptoms? I know my dad will think if we are all feeling fine no reason not to come but I can just picture all those germs still lurking around!

Need to let them know soon so everyone knows what they are doing for the weekend.

Thanks
    Reviews
    To be honest I would still go but only if those who are going were completely over it and hadn't had any symptoms for at least 24 hours.

Get you DH to disinfect the house while you are away so you can come home to a nice clean house.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Happymum2 For This Useful Post:

Cat13  (19-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    When were the last symptoms for your family who will be traveling?

If last symptoms were at least 48 hours I may consider going.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to sajimum For This Useful Post:

Cat13  (19-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    It would be just 48hours symptom free when we head off tomorrow morning.

Good to hear your thoughts.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    After 48 hours of the last poo/spew, you should be OK. Thats the exclusion time at DC. But if you don't feel like going, don't. Gastro sucks!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Californication For This Useful Post:

Cat13  (19-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would feel safe going with 48 hours clear. But would also understand if you don't want to.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to amyd For This Useful Post:

Cat13  (19-12-2015)

TheGooch is offline Winner 2014 - Newbie of the Year
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I would feel safe if symptom free for 48 hours.
    Unless the gastro had made everyone exhausted in which case a 4 hour drive may not be a safe bet.
    I think it's a decision based entirely on how you feel when it's time to go.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to TheGooch For This Useful Post:

Cat13  (19-12-2015)