+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    wow, can I come work for hubby? I'd be like oh ... wow if I got a bonus on top of my pay lol

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nemmi1987 For This Useful Post:

Summer  (18-12-2015),White Mage  (21-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wow i get nothing from my work. The nerve of her! I would have been happy with just the gift basket!!
    I'd be looking for a new book keeper

4. The Following User Says Thank You to meandmyboys82 For This Useful Post:

Summer  (18-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olive Oil View Post
    I work for a large company in HR and we found that it's always best to implement a policy of matters regarding compensation are private and confidential and staff will be disciplined accordingly if it's found that they have discussed it with each other. It's avoids this sort of drama.

This lady needs a hard dose of perspective which I'm sure when she calms down, your husband will give her.

Let me know if a position becomes available, I would love to work for a company that treats their employees so well.
    Thanks @Olive Oil - unfortunately this lady is the payroll clerk as well as bookkeeper and admin so she has to know all the pay rates and bonuses as she is the one that does it all. He does have a policy of confidentiality on these matters between staff - but she has to know!

Hopefully she's calmed down and sorted her sh!t out and apologised, silly, silly woman. He does do a lot for his employees and to have it thrown back in his face just sucks.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Summer For This Useful Post:

BlondeinBrisvegas  (18-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    As a person in that position it is incredibly unprofessional of her to react to someone else getting a payrise.

I would be happy just with the hamper (by the way im looking for a job 😂)
    I hope the other staff at least appreciated everything your dh gave them.
    I would have a chat with her about the way she reacted though, if it was out of character perhaps there is a reason

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Purple Poppy For This Useful Post:

Summer  (18-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I bet she has overreacted and I hope she apologises over the next few days.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Qwerty For This Useful Post:

Summer  (18-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I think your H should sit down with her and have a chat about professionalism AND check in that she is ok.

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to DT75 For This Useful Post:

Frankenmum  (18-12-2015),KitiK  (12-01-2016),LoveLivesHere  (18-12-2015),Summer  (18-12-2015),wobbleyhorse  (18-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DT75 View Post
    I think your H should sit down with her and have a chat about professionalism AND check in that she is ok.
    I think this is important actually. Give her time to cool off and have resources ready if she is having trouble and needs help.

And it was totally not on the way she behaved.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post:

Summer  (18-12-2015)

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    I think the bookkeeper has definitely overreacted and I imagine will be feeling very foolish tonight. And yes, her behaviour shows a disappointing lack of gratitude.

The question is: why the reaction?

Most of the issues at my work stem from perceptions of fairness or feeling valued. So while her reaction is highly inappropriate (hey, been there!), the feelings behind it may be valid. I don't know the situation obviously, but I'd be asking questions like:

Was everyone given the same opportunity to negotiate a pay rise in lieu of a bonus? If not, is this reasonable in this work culture? Could this in any way be seen as preferential treatment?

Christmas gifts aside, is it possible this employee has been feeling undervalued/invisible at all this year and this is the final straw?

Is it possible she has been feeling out of the loop at all where pay related stuff is concerned and this is the final straw?

As I said, I'm just speculating, but from my own experience I don't believe reactions such as these come from nowhere.

I think when your hubby calms down it's worth him checking in with her and saying 'what the hell just happened? Are you ok?'

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to harvs For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (18-12-2015),Mod-Nomsie  (18-12-2015),PomPoms  (18-12-2015),Summer  (18-12-2015),VicPark  (18-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks @harvs, appreciate the input and questions.

The employee didn't talk to my DH all day and totally ignored him. He is absolutely furious about it all now and feeling like she's crossed a big line.

Yes, I think he is going to have a talk to her - but what he thinks it comes down to is pure jealousy that the other main lady in the office is earning a lot more than she is, and by that, she feels that the other lady is valued more than her. The thing is that the other job is a highly qualified one and previously there was a man in that job and she never said a word about pays then, but because it's another woman and "friend" there seems to be jealousy over it. She also didn't have an issue with her pay until she found out the other lady was getting a pay rise, so that obviously triggered her feelings. The other lady is also getting a pay rise because she is taking on more responsibility, not purely as a bonus too.

So yes, she is feeling undervalued, but not necessarily because of anything particular in the company culture, but because she is privy to confidential pay information that is really none of her business. Because she is a little emotional, DH tells me that he has to handle her differently, so he is sensitive to her needs and insecurities and tries to give her a lot of verbal reassurance and let her know how important she is in the business. He took her on two years ago and has given her extensive training during that time and she's had two pay rises of $10K to put her over $70K now for a full-time admin/bookkeeper/payroll etc.

I believe he has taken her into his confidence on aspects of the business and mapped out a career path for her that over the next year gives her the opportunity to become an active profit partner in one division of the business which is like an enormous bonus in itself - so I think DH has tried to cover all bases with her, but her job is just not worth as much as a qualified engineer and operations manager.

Apparently she is talking about leaving now, which I think is a huge overreaction - hopefully she calms down and starts to see that if she is feeling that she's worth a lot more, then she needs to put her case to DH, not throw it in his face after he's just given her a beautiful gift basket and a $2K bonus.

I'm sure he'll calm down too and I think he'll have a talk to her next week to get to the bottom of it. She really is very valued and he would hate to lose her, but this has pushed his buttons big-time.
    Last edited by Summer; 18-12-2015 at 18:28.

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    Ha ha well when you put it like that...

I can see why your hubby is so pi$$ed.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to harvs For This Useful Post:

Summer  (18-12-2015)