+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Nemmi1987 View Post
    I dont think ANY mother would see a child in pain or with on going problems and refuse to treat it ... ...
    Thankfully the circ threads have died down but there was one a while ago where a mother had a school aged boy with phimosis that was causing him constant pain. He had been on steroids for a long time.

The advice she received on here? Keep using the steroids that she clearly said weren't working bc even medically necessary circ was wrong.

OP I would get a second opinion if you don't like this one.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by J37 View Post
    Ps. Where the bugger is @VicPark when you need her? She always has strong views on this subject, as does harvs, ScubaGal, GucciDahling and HollyG!
    Just chop it off! Problem solved!

Seriously - there is a fine line between fact finding and seeking medical advice. And I am not a fan of people asking for medical advice online. For starters people generally look at their own situation through clouded glasses. What we hear online maybe half the facts, may be influenced by personality and sensitivity, bias etc.

It really really irks me when people give their own views or experiences in a tone that suggests they know better than medical professionals. They haven't seen the penis in question. Their kids penis may be different from the Penis in question. Yes doctors are sometimes wrong - I guarantee you though the error rate is 1000 times larger with dr google/self proclaimed online medical experts.

- not necessarily saying any of this has happened in this thread.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Nemmi1987 View Post
    I dont think ANY mother would see a child in pain or with on going problems and refuse to treat it ... ... well no decent mother would anyway, maybe ones that end up charged with neglect but they dont often ask questions on forums
    Of course not. However some (sometimes through no fault of their own) lack the drive, analytical and problem solving skills to make decisions that are in their child's best interests.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    Thankfully the circ threads have died down but there was one a while ago where a mother had a school aged boy with phimosis that was causing him constant pain. He had been on steroids for a long time.

The advice she received on here? Keep using the steroids that she clearly said weren't working bc even medically necessary circ was wrong.

OP I would get a second opinion if you don't like this one.
    Okay so I stand corrected. What silly advice :/

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/9/2014Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/7/2014200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    Hang on a tic there is such a think as clouded judgement - it's entirely possible a GP would have a particular world view on this issue as they may on natural vs medicalised birth or breastfeeding vs formula so although it's a medical opinion being sought this is one of those issues that people have some pretty hard beliefs about so I don't think it's a problem that OP questioned it and sought advice.

As an example my GP who I love is very pro mums, I suspect she sees a lot of PND so she's always recommending early solids and stopping overnight feeding and some controlled crying/settling despite my protestations that I'm doing just fine and enjoying motherhood thanks very much.

Her opinion is based on medical fact that yes, my son is the size of a 1 year old and so could probably survive without the four feeds overnight but just like OP, I come to Bubhub all the time to question her professional advice.

Also penises are a bit strange and different when you're a mum especially if it's your first son. I'm constantly asking DH if it looks alright!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to ScubaGal For This Useful Post:

Nemmi1987  (18-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I see nothing wrong with a second opinion,
    If there is no medical problem (ballooning just before urination and being unable to retract yet are not unusual events in non circ'd penises) then there would be no need

However if there is ongoing / frequent uti, child complains regularly of pain or is experiencing trouble with urinating etc then there is medical problem

Having a once off sore for skin is not a reason to circ, its weird that the gp said that for a once off visit without an ongoing medical issue, it could be thrush, it could be a uti (or it could indicate a problem) but most would try a thrush cream first to see if that stops it.

Either way what is the harm in asking if other people with intact boys experience ballooning and sometimes get a red tip?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Nemmi1987 For This Useful Post:

SAgirl  (21-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default At what age?

But he didn't recommend circumcision. He said he *may* have to be circumcised and being that he is a GP and not a pediatric surgeon all he could do next is refer her onto somebody who is more qualified to make that decision. The guy is getting flamed for mentioning circumcision as a possibility. By all means get a second opinion but a mention of circumcision doesn't mean a dr is all of the sudden pro-ric or pushing his own beliefs or agenda. Seriously ladies, you didn't see the penis so how do you know he's wrong in his comment?
    Last edited by HollyGolightly81; 19-12-2015 at 00:03.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

LittleBug'sMum  (19-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by J37 View Post
    Oh for God's sake! This sort of thing needs the attention of a doctor, preferably a Paediatric Surgeon, and NOT anonymous members of Bub Hub. Or the bloody internet!
    SAgirl, you routinely post questions about your son's health (coughing, etc). But in this case, if you disagree with the opinion of two GPs, then ask for an urgent referral to a Paediatric Surgeon.
    This has nothing to do with "routine circumcision"! If your son's foreskin is red and/or swollen, don't you think perhaps he may have some pathology which needs attention?
    (I won't say I'm a doctor, because you know that well and truly by now. In the past I have tried to give you helpful advice, but you seemingly do not care. But I sincerely hope you do the right thing by your son.).

Sent from my SM-N910G using The Bub Hub mobile app
    Completely agree. Ugh!!!!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    SA's son isn't experiencing ballooning. She never said that.
    FWIW if I had a doctor suggest circ as medically necessary I would seek the opinion of every doctor in town, google, ask friends, ask on forums etc. Because I would not consent to removing part of my child's body without making damn sure there was absolutely no other way around it. It doesn't matter which body part.
    FWIW I had a well respected gynae want to operate on me and permanently remove part of my body to solve a problem I was having...my problem ended up being caused by the pill and as soon as I stopped it, my problem went away. How did I learn that the pill could be my problem? Dr google. Thanks Dr Google!

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Full House For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (19-12-2015),Californication  (19-12-2015),Nemmi1987  (19-12-2015),SAgirl  (21-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Jus to clarify...I'm not saying Dr Google is better than a doctor, just saying that Dr Google has the ability to be useful if you're smart about it, and that I think it's okay that SAgirl was asking a couple of questions on here. She got a lot of comments that advised she seek a second opinion.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Full House For This Useful Post:

Nemmi1987  (19-12-2015),SAgirl  (21-12-2015)