+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/9/2014Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/7/2014200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by harvs View Post
    Hang on, there are medical/pregnancy/wellbeing related threads on here all the time. That doesn't mean posters are not going to seek professional medical help as well as asking a question on a forum. I'm sure @SAgirl wouldn't use the experiences of others on a forum as a substitute for genuine medical advice.

When I am with my friends who have kids I'll often ask them questions, particularly about health and wellbeing, and attempt to gain a range of knowledge and experience to help me with questions I might ask a doctor, things I might look out for, etc. I value that, and for many of us we value that aspect of Bubhub in the absence of IRL opportunities.

Sometimes it's a way to seek reassurance after hours, or gain confidence in our instinct that something's not right. Some of us have many, many experiences of doctors not listening to our concerns, or dismissing us, and we want to gain some confidence that an issue isn't all in our head.

Others, like yourself, @J37, but also many many professionals on here may have some subject specific knowledge that can be a helpful starting point when we don't know where to start.
    Exactly. Bubhub is a very useful place for mums of boys. I think it's perfectly legitimate to ask a question that's doodle related to see if other mums have had a similar experience.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ScubaGal For This Useful Post:

Nemmi1987  (18-12-2015),SAgirl  (21-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes, Harvs, but it can be dangerous, and that is what really concerns me.

I am passionately interested in the health of others (which is why I became a doctor), and it worries me greatly when people seek the opinion of non-medical personnel on BubHub, rather than their doctor. The internet, Google, forums, should never be a substitute for real, examined, medical advice. It is dangerous.

I would never contradict you on a matter of education or teaching, as I respect your professional identity. Yet for some reason, on BubHub, many posters feel they "know better" than their doctors, who have trained a minimum of 7 years. For some reason, a "right-click" on the internet makes people instant medical experts. This is not in the best interests of their children. This is what upsets and disturbs me.

After 7 years of Medical School, it took several more years of training to be certified in Paediatrics. My advice on BubHub is always the same...see your GP, present to your local ED, or seek referral to a Paediatrician, if you are at all concerned. PLEASE do not consult Dr Google, or non-medical personnel. Please.

Sent from my SM-N910G using The Bub Hub mobile app

4. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to J37 For This Useful Post:

Blessedwith3boys  (18-12-2015),coco123  (19-12-2015),FearlessLeader  (19-12-2015),Lauzy  (19-12-2015),LittleBug'sMum  (18-12-2015),neza  (18-12-2015),PinkPopsicle  (19-12-2015),Rocky27  (19-12-2015),VicPark  (18-12-2015)

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    I hear you and I essentially agree with you.

It just seemed like your frustration with these scenarios in general overboiled and SAGirl copped it. That's all.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to harvs For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (18-12-2015),Albert01  (19-12-2015),Californication  (18-12-2015),SAgirl  (21-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    It was a very full on response and I'm not sure it was fairly warranted, especially when SA girl said she has seen a doctor already.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Full House For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (18-12-2015),Albert01  (19-12-2015),Nemmi1987  (18-12-2015),SAgirl  (21-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default At what age?

To be fair, the OP DID see a Dr. And it sounds like they were very unhelpful.

I understand you might be feeling annoyed if you've previously given medical device and feel it's been ignored, but I don't think how you posted is the way to change that. Yes people should see their Dr. I, along with other people replying, suggested she seek a second opinion. But that doesn't also mean we can't offer our own experiences to try to help, or that the OP was wrong to ask the question.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Californication For This Useful Post:

Elijahs Mum  (18-12-2015),Nemmi1987  (18-12-2015),SAgirl  (21-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by J37 View Post

I am passionately interested in the health of others (which is why I became a doctor), and it worries me greatly when people seek the opinion of non-medical personnel on BubHub, rather than their doctor. The internet, Google, forums, should never be a substitute for real, examined, medical advice. It is dangerous.

I would never contradict you on a matter of education or teaching, as I respect your professional identity. Yet for some reason, on BubHub, many posters feel they "know better" than their doctors, who have trained a minimum of 7 years. For some reason, a "right-click" on the internet makes people instant medical experts. This is not in the best interests of their children. This is what upsets and disturbs me.

After 7 years of Medical School, it took several more years of training to be certified in Paediatrics. My advice on BubHub is always the same...see your GP, present to your local ED, or seek referral to a Paediatrician, if you are at all concerned. PLEASE do not consult Dr Google, or non-medical personnel. Please.

OP did see a GP, hence her concern in asking other mums as that Dr and his 7 years of study didn't seem to give her any better info so I applaud her for questioning the GP who was the professional who recommended the poor kid get circumcised, yes I admire your study and effort but I'm sorry not every GP knows everything and thankfully OP,s mothers intuition is making her ask more questions

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

Californication  (18-12-2015),Happy Camper  (19-12-2015),Nemmi1987  (18-12-2015),SAgirl  (21-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by J37 View Post

Just a couple of things. Just because someone asks for advice here doesn't mean they are ignoring/not visiting/substituting proper medical professional advice. Asking for advice is a useful strategy to get a range of views before and after seeing a doctor to determine what questions to ask/whether a second medical opinion is warranted. Sadly not all doctors are as learned as you. They can make mistakes, overlook things, not have up to date knowledge of the specific issue at hand. I've worked in clinical governance. I've seen the worst cases of medical ignorance/mistakes.
    Secondly I find it quite patronizing to suggest that people should not ask questions, seek advice, do their own research. Personally I think total unquestioning acceptance of a single doctor's view is way more dangerous than self-directed help seeking. Individuals are in charge of their own health care and gathering information to work through WITH their health professionals is the ultimate in self-management.
    Just because someone doesn't have a medical degree with 7 years training does not make them incapable of researching and seeking out quality information and advice to complement the relationship with their health professional.
    As has been pointed out the op has seen a doctor and is seeking other experiences to support her next steps.

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to gingermillie For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (18-12-2015),Happy Camper  (19-12-2015),Nemmi1987  (18-12-2015),SAgirl  (21-12-2015),Star Light  (19-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just for the record, I am a mother too, as well as a doctor. My little boy is 5 years old, and not circumcised.

There are very legitimate reasons for an emergency-circumcision, if a child has significant inflammation of the foreskin, and/or head of penis. Untreated inflammation can lead to scarring, and hence pain and/or difficulty sustaining erection in later life. I don't think I, or any mother, would wish that on my little boy.

For the record, I don't believe in routine infant circumcision. But what we are discussing is not "routine", it is pathology. As mothers, we all want the best for our little boys. Do any of you disagree?

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to J37 For This Useful Post:

HollyGolightly81  (18-12-2015),LittleBug'sMum  (18-12-2015),smallpotatoes  (18-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default At what age?

In fairness, the GP said he *may* need to be circumcised, not that he HAD to be. I'm going to assume that since a GP cannot circumcise, that his next step would have been to refer her to somebody with more experience. I think J37's frustration is not that SAgirl asked for advice but that comments instantly went to routine circumcision and that the GP is irresponsible for mentioning it as a possibility. None of us saw her son, we don't know what the GP saw. It's fine to say it may be such and such issue and enquire if this cream is a possible solution, but to jump to anonymous people automatically saying the GP is wrong because he mentioned circumcision is what I think is rubbing J the wrong way.
    Last edited by HollyGolightly81; 18-12-2015 at 20:08.

18. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

ArthurDent  (18-12-2015),J37  (18-12-2015),LittleBug'sMum  (18-12-2015),M'LadyEm  (18-12-2015),VicPark  (18-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    That's absolutely it, HollyG. I think I need to employ you as my interpreter
    Bless you!

20. The Following User Says Thank You to J37 For This Useful Post:

HollyGolightly81  (18-12-2015)