+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default At what age?

What ages does a boys foreskin separate?

DS is 4.5 and uncircumcised, every now and then the tip of his penis looks a little red, but he has never complained until recently. He has now been saying it hurts, and tonight it looks a bit more red and inflamed

We took him to a GP a few weeks ago (not our usual) and she called a 'senior' doctor in for advice... Well if I had known who she was going to call I would have walked out, but anyway, he came in, looked at DS penis, attempted to pull back his foreskin and then said it was 'a bit tight'. He went on to say DS 'may need to be circumcised!!!'

I really don't want to go down that road but what are the other options?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/9/2014Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/7/2014200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    Woah yeah I'd be asking for a different doctor one who isn't going to push you to circumcise.

I can't understand how any parent could routinely think a part of their baby needs cutting off.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'd get a second opinion. It could just be thrush being its summer and he's probably more hot and sweaty? I'm not 100% sure what age, but I thought it was older. My DS is 6 and intact and I'm not sure if his retracts yet. I've never tried and he's never said its sore. From everything I've read, it mostly happens naturally over time and through their own efforts and no-one should attempt to retract it fully before then. So I'd be pis$ed with that Dr.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Californication For This Useful Post:

Nemmi1987  (18-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/9/2014Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/7/2014200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    ...the Internet says some won't retract until puberty...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I've just remembered - do you mean the tip of the foreskin is red? Or the tip of his pen!s? When DS was about 2.5 (I think) his was all red and looked sore too, Dr I saw said it was most likely a fungal infection. Cream from the chemist fixed it up in a few days. I can give you the name of the cream when my DD wakes up as its in her room. It wasn't canesten, is something else. But works. Might be worth a shot if you can't get in to a different Dr in the next few days.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Californication For This Useful Post:

SAgirl  (17-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Californication View Post
    I've just remembered - do you mean the tip of the foreskin is red? Or the tip of his pen!s? When DS was about 2.5 (I think) his was all red and looked sore too, Dr I saw said it was most likely a fungal infection. Cream from the chemist fixed it up in a few days. I can give you the name of the cream when my DD wakes up as its in her room. It wasn't canesten, is something else. But works. Might be worth a shot if you can't get in to a different Dr in the next few days.
    Thanks, yes it's the very tip and the foreskin that's red. I hope it's just that

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ScubaGal View Post
    Woah yeah I'd be asking for a different doctor one who isn't going to push you to circumcise.

I can't understand how any parent could routinely think a part of their baby needs cutting off.
    Just to clarify - I am against routine circumcision... Hence why both my boys are still intact.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to SAgirl For This Useful Post:

Californication  (17-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    She's still asleep, but I'm pretty sure this is it. There might be something else/better, but this worked for us.

Thanks
    Reviews
    ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1450343636.808498.jpg

Helps if I add the photo LOL.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Californication For This Useful Post:

SAgirl  (17-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My DS is 4.5yrs (uncircumcised) and he occasionally gets a red, inflamed tip. Our GP said its happens quite often and gave us a bacterial cream to use. Cleared everything up.

On a side note - he said at this age the foreskin is quite tight and won't retract back so that all sounds normal.