+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ICanDream View Post
    Thank you I will make the appointment and have things written down and take it from there. It's been on the cards for a while but DH was reluctant but he now sees that we are not working through this as a family so need to get DS someone to talk to in the hope we can turn the negativity around.
    How did you get your dh onboard? Mine refuses to see dd has any issues all normal to him even talking about wanting to die.
    But back to op. When I saw a psych for me without plan she said I could easily see the gp for one for me and get another for dd - that was original plan. I don't know why it has to be the child there for Medicare when they are just children not like they are the ones requesting the service?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Our GP has to see the child. Even just to renew the MHP.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Thanks we went and did it this morning and am waiting on a call from the place to set up sessions.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Freyamum View Post
    How did you get your dh onboard? Mine refuses to see dd has any issues all normal to him even talking about wanting to die.
    But back to op. When I saw a psych for me without plan she said I could easily see the gp for one for me and get another for dd - that was original plan. I don't know why it has to be the child there for Medicare when they are just children not like they are the ones requesting the service?
    Sorry I missed this. I wrote a list of all the negative things DS had said in the past week, the feedback I got from his teacher and the overall concerns I had. When I wrote how I saw things it was pretty confronting for DH and he tried to write them off as normal boy behaviour. It may well be but then I need help to deal with it because i never grew up around boys. He pretty quickly agreed that especially the negativity was a concern that we needed proper help with before it affects DS when he's older.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Can anyone help? DS just did a 50 mins session at a cost of $238 but with the mental health plan I got the whole of $84 back! That's a massive gap. I thought the whole point of the mental health plan was to make it affordable...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wow, $238 is a huge fee! Is that just an initial consultation fee? Is it a clinical psychologist?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Can anyone help? DS just did a 50 mins session at a cost of $238 but with the mental health plan I got the whole of $84 back! That's a massive gap. I thought the whole point of the mental health plan was to make it affordable...
    Hi yes that's normal you can phone around and see if anyone charges different fees. You can also see if you can get money back on Bupa too.

It's ridiculous

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Mental health plan for children question

She's the head psychologist but it doesn't say she's a clinical psychologist. He's booked in for four 50 min sessions. Apparently if you use Medicare you can't also use private health, it's one or the other. I clearly misunderstood how it worked and feel stupid at how expensive it is but he really liked her and was happy with how it went so I guess now I suck it up!
    Last edited by ICanDream; 15-01-2016 at 14:32.

Thanks
    Reviews
    That's the recommended fee set by the professional association for psychologists but most don't charge that much. Some will bulk bill but not many so you generally need to phone around to check. The rebate is higher if you see a clinical psychologist (about $125 I think). It might be worth checking with your private health if you're better off claiming through them, although quite a few funds say they will only pay once you've used all of your Medicare sessions.

Thanks
    Reviews
    She's the head psychologist but it doesn't say she's a clinical psychologist. He's booked in for four 50 min sessions. Apparently if you use Medicare you can't also use private health, it's one or the other. I clearly misunderstood how it worked and feel stupid at how expensive it is but he really liked her and was happy with how it went so I guess now I suck it up!
    Glad he liked her at least!
    As PP said, the rebate is higher for clinical psychologists which is why I asked. Hopefully it's worth the money in the long run.