+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Mental health plan for children question

My son I believe (as does his teacher) would benefit from seeing a professional to help him with his negative thinking and defeated attitude. I know he can get a health plan through the GP but do I need to take him to the appointment for them to write one up? He's only half interested in going so I don't want to have to drag him to anything I don't have to.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Check with your doctor, but mine required me to bring my child along.

I didn't want to discuss all of my concerns in front of my DD so I put everything down on paper and handed it to the receptionist to pass onto the doctor.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think the GP would want to see him before writing up a mental health plan for him. With my DD she came in briefly at the start of the appt and then waited in the waiting room - I didn't really want to go into too much detail with her in the room.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm facing the same thing but was hoping I could go by myself first as dd is nearly 9 very self conscious and would not be happy me having this conversation. I'm not sure I'll be able to get her to talk to anyone but I know the first psych apt is without the child so I don't know why would need have her with me for the gp referral?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've recently done this and I didn't take my DS with me. The doctor told me not to bring him. The appointment is quite long as they are required to spend some time with you to qualify for a mental health plan. My visits to our child psych aren't free but we get back about $90 from Medicare so they effectively cost around $20 per visit.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I took DD with me however she didn't really need to be there, I answered all the questions.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Yes you need to take them for at at least part of the appointment.
    We go through head spa email and they are free. I think they may only deal with kids from age of 12.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Our GP must see the person the appointment is for in order for medicare to pay. He has told me it's a legal requirement.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by just her chameleon View Post
    Our GP must see the person the appointment is for in order for medicare to pay. He has told me it's a legal requirement.
    This. My exs mother got a mental health plan for my DD and the doctor didn't even see DD. I reported it to Medicare and the doctor was reprimanded (they never actually told me what they did), but for the mental health plan to stand he would have had to have seen the child.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you I will make the appointment and have things written down and take it from there. It's been on the cards for a while but DH was reluctant but he now sees that we are not working through this as a family so need to get DS someone to talk to in the hope we can turn the negativity around.