TheGooch is offline Winner 2014 - Newbie of the Year
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I have two thoughts about this.
    1. Who is responsible?
    2. Regardless of responsibility, what's the "right" thing to do given the circumstances?

These are different things and where I sit depends on my mood.

Your mum is responsible for the bill as the home owner

It would be "nice" for your ex to do something to acknowledge his rent free existence but not obligatory without a lease or contract.

Whilst I know it's easier said than done, I think it's up to them to discuss and you should direct each of them to each other and not you.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to TheGooch For This Useful Post:

harvs  (16-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Can he offer to pay the quarter as an act of good will and your mum pay the rest given she will receive it back in the settlement of the sale? I think it's a no win situation, I agree fob probably shouldn't have to pay it but your mum isn't going to let go of the fact he hasn't paid rent.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ICanDream For This Useful Post:

harvs  (16-12-2015)

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    @ICanDream that's a good idea, I'll suggest that! To be clear, he has said he'll happily pay it, but that he doesn't think he should have to since he moved out in October, if that makes sense?

I think it's more that I don't feel he should have to, and I am annoyed at my mum for involving me again when it ALWAYS goes badly. I feel so defensive of each of them when talking to the other, and they are the two hardest people in the universe to communicate with, so yes, I should step back.

For people mentioning the rent free part, and it's relevant here I know, would your opinion change if he had paid rent?
    @twinklify I love my house, thanks for asking! Well, I will love it when I've finished unpacking and making all my furniture :-)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Opinions please

Well if he paid rent as a true landlord/tenant arrangement it wouldn't be an issue as tenants don't pay rates. Somewhere the line has been blurred I think and given the nature of the relationships I think the kitchen sink might be lucky not to be dragged in.

Get out of it as smoothly and as quickly as possible, I'm pretty sure you're well and truly over FOB and his stuff.
    Last edited by ICanDream; 16-12-2015 at 19:25.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ICanDream For This Useful Post:

harvs  (16-12-2015),LoveLivesHere  (16-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ok. He moved out October. He has no obligation. If your mum decided to let him live rent free - that was her choice. It is her house so her responsibility.

And just think of it this way - you have years to unpack so.. no rush lol. No rental inspections. You can paint, make holes in walls. Clean when you want. Unpacking can wait.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post:

harvs  (16-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Oh, so he moved out in October and the bill for advance rates was due in December. Was he actually living in the house for any part of the billing period?

If not, I don't think he should be obliged to pay anything as he wasn't living in the house at the time.

The rent issue is tough. (Oh dang. The kids keep on chatting to me and I'm finding it hard to get my thoughts down succinctly.) I think that the fact that your mum was generous enough to allow him to live for so long rent free does mean that it would be very nice of him to help her out and pay for whatever portion she won't get back on the sale of the house. If he had been paying rent then no way - renters do not pay rates bills.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to SSecret Squirrel For This Useful Post:

harvs  (16-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    You should def not pay a cent. You haven't lived there in half a decade. As to FOB, I'm sorry but I'm with your mum. If settlement isn't until Jan she really does have to pay them by the due date and seek the remainder back. He should be going her halves. He's lived rent free for 6 years!!! That would be literally 100k he's saved depending on where you live. He is not on a legal lease so therefore any notice she gives him is at her discretion. He knew the house was up for sale and knew it sold.

Your mum has been insanely decent in all this. Whether her motive is for him, or you (so he can afford CS??) or to martyr herself the outcome is still the same. He needs to cover half the rates.

eta - I missed he moved out in Oct? Hmmm ok. Maybe he should just chip in a bit? I still think given the situation he should at least contribute something.
    Last edited by delirium; 16-12-2015 at 19:19.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

harvs  (16-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 14/11/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by sunnyflower View Post
    To be honest if I had lived somewhere rent free since 2009 I wouldn't be quibbling about having to pay one bill.

I think he's done very well tbh.
    This exactly.

Worst case scenario he and your mum go halves. Honestly, I think fob should pay the rates considering your mum could have been charging a heck of a lot more in rent.

Eta: just saw the October bit. Maybe he should go halves. Unless this was all brought up while he was still living there.

Thanks
    Reviews
    He shouldn't have to pay anything. Yes, he got a great deal living there rent free all this time, but that doesn't mean that he can be hit up for random future bills relating to the property. He isn't living there anymore. The bill due in Dec wouldn't normally cover any of October since rates are paid in advance.

He's moved out. The arrangement between them is over. I'm with FOB on this one. The onus was on your mother to get adequate reimbursement from him for living in the house while he was there. Its too late now.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to MissMuppet For This Useful Post:

LoveLivesHere  (16-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by harvs View Post
    For people mentioning the rent free part, and it's relevant here I know, would your opinion change if he had paid rent?
    Quote Originally Posted by ICanDream View Post
    Well if he paid rent as a true landlord/tenant arrangement it wouldn't be an issue as tenants don't pay rates. Somewhere the line has been blurred I think and given the nature of the relationships I think the kitchen sink might be lucky not to be dragged in.
    Yeps this. Makes it all a bit tricky.

Since he has always paid the rates bill (through whatever agreement there was) I think he should cover the rates up until he left - anything after that is your mum's problem.