+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Shellac do it yourself

Has anyone (other than a nail tech) bought the polishes and UV light for home use?
    I've seen them on eBay and was wondering.

Whenever I paid my nails it lasts 2 days, so thought this would be a better option. I'll even be happy with 1-2 weeks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have my own. I actually have the opi light and polishes. Love it!

Most times I get at least 2 weeks out of them. Lots if tips to make the polish last on you tube

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 2BlueBirds View Post
    Has anyone (other than a nail tech) bought the polishes and UV light for home use?
    I've seen them on eBay and was wondering.

Whenever I paid my nails it lasts 2 days, so thought this would be a better option. I'll even be happy with 1-2 weeks.

This is my biggest addiction! I have around 80 shellac polishes and a trolley filled with decals, glitter, powders, stamps - you name it! Love, love, love doing my nails. I do them every two weeks and it's my 'me' time.

Here's a couple of pics of what I like to do:
    DSCN0556 (2).jpg

DSCN0208 (2).jpg

Blossom

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Blossom74 For This Useful Post:

2BlueBirds  (16-12-2015),Mod-Nomsie  (16-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Thanks for feedback.
    How do you soak them off and how long does it take to apply every two weeks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It takes me about half an hour to apply. I take it off using acetone, cotton pads (cut into quarters) and foil. You can get acetone for cheap from Bunnings.

Thanks
    Reviews
    To soak off I just dampen some cotton wool and apply it to the nail, and cover it with tin foil for 10 minutes before scraping it off. I buy my Acetone from a nail supplier - it's a salon grade, which is apparently better for your skin.

As far as application goes, a set of plain shellac nails takes me about an hour but I am pretty anal about it - I like them perfect. A set like the ones above can take me up to 2 hours but they are pretty intricate.

I usually strip my nails at night and then paint them first thing the next morning to break the job into two sections.

Blossom

Thanks
    Reviews
    I do this, have my own machine etc. it probably takes me 10mins in total as I do both hands at once (been doing it for over 4 years now so am quick haha)

I am a picker so I peel the polish off after 2 weeks normally. Not great for nails but am impatient to soak off,

Every now and again I will have a break for a while.

ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1450255251.614529.jpg
    These are my nails at the moment, super short because I filed them. Did these over the last weekend.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to lauzie For This Useful Post:

Blossom74  (17-12-2015)

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    I recently got my own, but I have unsteady hands so the results haven't been amazing. And because I shake, the polish goes onto my skin and it causes the shellac to "pop" off- if you know what I mean?
    Then again, I've only tried once. There are so amazing colours and finishes in the Jamberry range, which is what I have, and that is why I bought it.
    If only I could stop shaking, I would say it is a good investment.

Thanks
    Reviews
    @Mod-Nomsie, the reason your polish is pouring into your nail creases is because there is too much polish on your brush.

If you completely wipe the wand down on the top of the bottle, until there is just a tiny blob of polish at the end of the wand, you won't have the polish running (and thereby lifting once it's set.)

The golden rule with Shellac is "Keep it thin to win." It is better to do three very thin layers and build up the color. Shellac does not co-operate when it's put on too thick.

Hope that helps!

Blossom

ETA: If you apply the polish with a clear border between your nail and the skin, that helps stop it running too. It also gives a more professional look. As for the steady hands, this improves the more you practice. I rest my hand on the table as I apply my polish, which seems to help
    Last edited by Blossom74; 17-12-2015 at 06:58.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Blossom74 For This Useful Post:

Mod-Nomsie  (17-12-2015)

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    Quote Originally Posted by Blossom74 View Post
    @Mod-Nomsie, the reason your polish is pouring into your nail creases is because there is too much polish on your brush.

If you completely wipe the wand down on the top of the bottle, until there is just a tiny blob of polish at the end of the wand, you won't have the polish running (and thereby lifting once it's set.)

The golden rule with Shellac is "Keep it thin to win." It is better to do three very thin layers and build up the color. Shellac does not co-operate when it's put on too thick.

Hope that helps!

Blossom

ETA: If you apply the polish with a clear border between your nail and the skin, that helps stop it running too. It also gives a more professional look. As for the steady hands, this improves the more you practice. I rest my hand on the table as I apply my polish, which seems to help
    Thanks I had what I thought was a small amount, but reading that it appears I had waaaaay too much lol!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Nomsie For This Useful Post:

Blossom74  (19-12-2015)