+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default GBS and thrush

Im just after some advice ony GBS results. I've had a positive result and the hospital now want me to have antibiotics while in labour. I have a student midwife who is using me as a case study and she has suggested having another test done with my local GP as it may come back negative because having antibiotics during labour could lead to having thrush. I usually always get thrush after antibiotics and could think of nothing worse after just having a baby. After a little further research, the baby could also end up with thrush and I could struggle feeding. Im a first time mum and would love to hear if anyone has gotten thrush or if their babies have and also if anyone has refused the antibiotics?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I've had antibiotics twice during labour with zero complications due to PROM.

You could always get another swab done in early labour to determine if the GBS is still there.

The reason why ABs is given is that strep can cause severe illness in bub. Quite frankly the risks of a strep b infection outweigh the possibility of a thrush infection.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

gingermillie  (16-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia&Hannah View Post
    You could always get another swab done in early labour to determine if the GBS is still there.

The reason why ABs is given is that strep can cause severe illness in bub. Quite frankly the risks of a strep b infection outweigh the possibility of a thrush infection.
    It takes a good 48-72 hours for the cultures to grow, so by the time the results come back from a swab in early labour, baby will be well and truly born.

@BabyMcKenzie - discuss your concerns with the obstetric/midwifery team at your hospital.

Your student midwife is NOT a registered midwife, and whilst it's great she's trying to support you, it's actually incredibly dangerous for her to be giving you advice that contraindicates with the advice from those that are actually registered midwives and doctors. Legally she can NOT give you medical advice.

Have you tried probiotics with your antibiotics before to try and reduce thrush?

Neonatal GBS disease (which is what they're trying to prevent) is incredibly serious and can be fatal - hence the recommendation for antibiotics in labour.

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to alliecat89 For This Useful Post:

Chillies  (16-12-2015),lilywithme  (16-12-2015),M'LadyEm  (16-12-2015),Nemmi1987  (16-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Group B strep is a transient infection. It may present there today, it may be negative if you get swabbed at your GP, you may be positive the day you go into labour, you may be negative the day you go into labour. Recommendations are that if you've tested positive in the current pregnancy you receive IV antibiotics in labour. The reason we do this is because Group B strep can make babies very very sick if not treated. The longer your waters are broken the greater the chance of infection. GBS positive women who rupture their membranes pre labour will always be induced because of the risk to baby.

Talk to your midwife/obstetrician about the implications of not having antibiotics/re-testing etc. The hospital should have a policy surrounding group B strep which will guide them in the management of you. While it's great you have a student midwife to support you and offer you different ideas/perspective please don't rely on her to be THE true source of information. If she makes a suggestion to you re management of pregnancy or labour that's great, but make sure you discuss the same with your care providers. Many student midwives can be idealistic which is a good thing, but sometimes they also need to be realistic.

FWIW I can't actually recall more than a handful of times where someone has developed thrush from IV antibiotics in labour simply because most women only get 2 or 3 doses of them. I see it more in women who are on a full course of antibiotics over a period of days rather than hours. If you're that concerned or you are very sensitive to developing thrush, you can always take a probiotic to help build up the good bacteria.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to M'LadyEm For This Useful Post:

alliecat89  (16-12-2015),HollyGolightly81  (16-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    1st of all and I know you probably trust this student and she means well, she should not be making such suggestions as a student midwives role when following women (cce's) is to observe midwifery in practice outside their normal rotations. I have never heard of someone getting thrush after abs for gbs and have had 3 babies and been treated 3 times in labour with no issue. If you have any concerns talk to who ever is caring for you during this pregnancy.
    Last edited by lilywithme; 16-12-2015 at 16:35.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default GBS and thrush

Just to give you a different perspective, the NHS in the UK does not screen pregnant women for GBS and these are their stats as a result:

'On average, one newborn baby a day in the UK develops group B Strep infection. One baby a week dies from group B Strep infection. One baby a fortnight who survives the infection is left with long-term disabilities - physical, mental or both.'

You're very lucky to be in a country where they feel routine screening is necessary. There is currently a petition in the UK for routine screening.

I tested negative for GBS but developed a very painful UTI my first or second week after birth and required antibiotics while breastfeeding. I took probiotics at the same time and neither DS or myself developed thrush. I used to get thrush quite easily but ensuring I eat plain yogurt daily has made a massive difference and I can't remember the last time I had it.

Thrush is annoying but the side effects of GBS would worry me more.
    Last edited by HollyGolightly81; 16-12-2015 at 18:44.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

Nemmi1987  (16-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    As pp has said, in the uk they don't test for gbs in pregnancy and during my labour with ds1 his heart rate was getting dangerously high and combined with a temperature in me they were very worried about an infection in the baby so we were rushed to have a c section. They took blood from ds1 straight away for culture but started him on iv antibiotics as a precaution. The culture results took a few days to come back and were positive for strep but a different kind, not strep b (strep vericans). He was always fine in himself but I was still grateful they gave antibiotics as a precaution. I also had antibiotics and annoyingly developed a delayed allergic reaction to one of them so just after I went home I had a rash from head to foot!! Annoying but not the end of the world!
    In terms of thrush, both my babies have had oral thrush and it didn't affect either of them. With ds1 I didn't really think it was anything but after a few months when a health visitor mentioned it and I started treatment it cleared up very quickly. With ds2 I was treating it for about 2 months with the oral gel but it just wasn't getting any better. In the end I stopped bothering and it just cleared up completely on its own. It never affected either on them feeding, I had some nipple pain with ds1 which I thought could be due to the thrush but nothing with ds2.
    Also I get thrush constantly and whilst it sucks, I would definitely chose the antibiotics over the risk of getting thrush. I normally have to take 6 day courses of treatment to get rid of it but generally it's not that hard to treat if you do end up with it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am gbs + and I am also extremely prone to thrush, the risk of my babies catching strep outweights the risk and chance of them catching thrush, I had serveral bouts of thrush when breast feeding my sons and not once did they get oral thrush

oral thrush is reasonably easy to treat with nilstat or dactarin, gbs infection kills and it kills quickly,

the chance of you contracting thrush from the iv antibiotics used is pretty low as its not an ongoing treatment

I had a canula both times and had iv abs pushed through then disconnectedso I could still move around, after chatting with midwives I felt the best choice was antibiotics as as I said above gbs infection can kill and it kills quickly, because of my gbs + result my babies were monitored for 24 hours after birth but both were fine (they just got temp etc taken more often)

Thanks
    Reviews
    How many weeks are you? Generally if you swab +ve at the standard screening your Healthcare provider will do a repeat screening closer to your due date. I had this and swabbed -ve on my repeat.

A good option would be to take probiotics to minimise your chances of getting thrush. Personally, I don't think refusing the ab's is in the best interests of your baby. As pp said it can have fatal consequences.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you so much everybody for your response. It's made me really think about the whole situation and I've decided to take the hospitals recommendations and take the anti biotics but I have started to take a pro biotic to hopefully counteract the thrush. Really glad I posted on here as I was feeling a little lost

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BabyMcKenzie For This Useful Post:

HollyGolightly81  (18-12-2015),JustJaq  (18-12-2015),Nemmi1987  (18-12-2015)