+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Hyperthyroidism and TTC?

Hello All,
    Im just after some advice or reassurance about our situation. We were TTC earlier this year and during this time got some tests done that showed i had a slightly under active thyroid, got put on thyroxine and feel pregnant the next month. Continued to get blood test and unfortunately miscarried at 9 weeks. Continued to see my Endocrinologist as we planned to try again. Has been two months since we miscarried and Ive had two cycles, which have been tracked, with no luck. Recently had blood test and my Endocrinologist has advised that i now have Hyperthyroidism due to an overactive thyroid and to stop all medication (was on 50mg per day). My results are TSH 0.03, FT4 at 44 and FT3 at 15.6.

Are these results very out of the norm? I'M just stressed and devastated about this news but am unsure how much this will affect us? Thank you xxxx

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Hyperthyroidism and TTC?

Hi @itsme85 , I'm not too sure of my levels (I can find out) but I also have Hyperthyroidism (the rare kind) as well as Pcos and now just diagnosed with Gestational diabetes (as in currently 10 weeks pregnant).
    We had trouble conceiving but it's defiantly a possibility with Hyperthyroidism.
    Are you sure that the hyper is the only problem you may have? Cause it wouldn't of caused your miscarriage I'm sure.
    It helped me to keep reminding myself that it will all happen when it's my time, and also I see miscarriage as a way of God letting us know that the Bub wasn't healthy and wouldn't of been well enough to enter this world. It's all part of life and we must be patient in it.
    Stay in touch xxx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    @itsme85 That's very strange that they just told you to stop all your meds. I would think that if you were hypothyroid before and taking 50mcg of thyroxine sent you too far the other way, they would have told you to just lower the dose and retest. Or stop the medication, retest and start again with a lower dose if your TSH was creeping up again.

I have Hashimotos. My TSH was around 3.5 and it should be at about 1 for optimal fertility. My previous FS told me to take 50mcg of thyroxine and I knew pretty quickly he'd got the dose wrong. My heart was racing and my face ended up puffy. I lowered my dose to 25mcg and when I had my next test I was at 0.91 - perfect. I'm sure I would have been down around where you are on the double dose though!

Experiencing hyperthyroidism issues when you're pregnant can cause a miscarriage. And hyperthyroidism as opposed to hypo can cause more issues with TTC.

I would go to your GP, ask them to do a full thyroid test for you again, start on a small amount of thyroxine if necessary and then do a thyroid blood test every 4 weeks until you can get the dosage right.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am hypothyroid , 3 months ago was sitting at 60! and after taking the thyroxine am back in normal range at 1.6. Spoke with the doc re TTC and she said that even though levels have normalized it can have a knock on effect and may delay conception even at current levels. Asked if I could continue to take meds when the time comes and she said absolutely yes however would need more regular bloods to check levels.