+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Floor Grout Clean - Happydance!

I'm posting this because I know you will appreciate it ...

My house is 10 years old. For the first 5 years it had tenants and we've owned it for the last 5 years. My floor grout is super sad, regardless of how much I'm mopping it. I'm currently doing the big Christmas clean and I've tackled the kitchen floor (with the rest to follow). The bestest floor grout cleaner ... toilet cleaner (with bleach in it). I used Harpic White and Shine with thick Bleach Gel. OMG!!!

Process - I just ran the spout along the grout lines. By the time I got to the end of the kitchen, I went back with my tile brush (which I bought from Woolies) and ran the brush over the grout a couple of times. Then when I got to the end, I went back to the beginning and went over it with a sponge, wiping the cleaner over the full tile. (This whole process took 15 mins). I then used a dry mop to mop up the cleaner, then washed the floor a couple of times to make sure there was no cleaner left on the tiles. The whole process took 1 hour - mopping took the longest.

I'm attaching some photos ... please don't be too harsh in your judgement of the "before" photo. Didn't take an entire floor shot before because I'd already started when I took the before photo. They look as good as the day they were laid (I would imagine).

WP_20151216_09_24_30_Pro[1].jpgWP_20151216_10_16_47_Pro[1].jpgWP_20151216_10_17_35_Pro[1].jpg

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Life is Good For This Useful Post:

Ashfirst  (22-12-2015),Cevapa  (16-12-2015),Little Miss Sunshine  (22-12-2015),MissMuppet  (16-12-2015),Mod-Nomsie  (16-12-2015),Redcorset  (22-12-2015),Tinkers  (16-12-2015),zoz  (16-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Wow! The difference is amazing. I'll have to remember this

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Wow! That's a massive difference!

We have dark tiles and grout in our kitchen, but light in the toilets, laundry and bathrooms. Might have to give this a go as the laundry especially is looking dingy. The white grout was feral when we moved in, and I used bleach and a toothbrush. Came up good, but took hours! Haven't been keen to repeat the experience. Your way sounds much better and quicker!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Holy cow!! That's amazing!! I know what's on my to do list this week!
    Just moved in with DP in his 1988 home... Our grout looks the same as your before photo!

His parents are staying for Christmas... We've already repainted the house, cleaned and scrubbed skirting boards and architraves and Windows and had an electrician change the old lights to sleek downlights... Grout is the next thing on my list!!!!

Thank you for sharing!! X

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Wow what a difference, ill have to try this as moving in a few weeks & i like things looking new Thanks for sharing

Thanks
    Reviews
    Subbing so I can try this too. Looks great!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm still doing a happy dance. I'm actually considering ringing all my friends and making them all come over just to look at my kitchen floor. That's a bit sad, isn't it!

I'm off to the shops to buy more toilet cleaner.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Life is Good For This Useful Post:

kriista  (22-12-2015),SSecret Squirrel  (16-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Looks amazing! I do similar with my shower tiles, but with exit mould. Takes the orange stains (hard water) right out of the grout!
    Worked it out by accident

11. The Following User Says Thank You to rosey82 For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (23-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Holy CRAP!
    Would this work in my shower do you think?
    I've tried everything and the MIL is arriving over next week, can't be having her tut-tutting at the state of the grout.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I just spent about 8 hours (spread over several days) scrubbing our kitchen, dining and ensuite floor tiles with Jif and a scrubbing brush. I'll have to try your recipe next time to try and shave some time off.

What an awesome feeling when you see the before and after!