+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    If I compare myself to my mum then no way! She had way more on her plate.

Firstly because my mum was 7 months pregnant with her third child when her first husband died of cancer. She had no car and 3 kids 3 and under to look after. I cannot even comprehend what that would've been like as there was very minimal government support back then (early 70's)

Then she met my dad and he had my 2 sisters who lived with him which was rare in those days for dads. So immediately my mum and dad has a family of 5 kids, then I came along 2 years later. So family of 6 kids in one house, I'd say my mum was busier.

I am really busy, no doubt but it is because I choose to be busy with after school activities, sport etc. Not because I have to be.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Nope, she must have been busier.

She had four kids compared to ny two, and my DH is far more help in regards to housework and domestic chores than my dad ever was. (Just last week he visited to "help out" while DH was away, and it was a stark reminder that he neither notices nor seems able to do most housework. As for actually cooking anything....)

In addition to all of that, my mum was busy being heavily involved at church and youth group. And later on, when we were a little older but still at school, she studied Year 11 and 12 and then a uni degree by correspondence while still being a SAHM.

I feel exhausted from looking after 2 kids and working part-time, so how she coped I just dob't know!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Ok, I've just read through thread.

If we generalise, then I would say more people today outsource things like cleaning and other things and I would think that more people ironed in my mum's era. I have an iron and the kids have seen me use it maybe twice. I would actually think more people back in the day cooked than they do today.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Do you think you are busier than your mum was?

I don't know.

If you compare on paper; we both worked part time (I'm pretty sure I'd do more hours), both had two kids, my husband cooks and does work inside the house, my dads domain was outside, mum ironed, I never iron.

She volunteered a lot at our school, my kids aren't at school yet, but I'd like to help out.

We both always cook from scratch, but I have a thermomix 😉.

I don't class myself as busy though, I have a tight routine so I can get done what I need to, but i have plenty of time to do things I want to (gym, book club etc).

I never remember feeling rushed as a kid, but mum didn't drive so I guess it's hard to rush when you walk or catch the bus everywhere!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Yeah at the moment I'm busier. Nearly 4 year old (who is currently extremely demanding) and a 5 month old. I'm running a business with 2 staff at our busiest time, renovating and selling s house. But not all the time am I the busiest, mum had 3 kids, and when we were all at school she worked full time teaching. She took us all to piano, basketball,ballet and cooked/cleaned. I feel like the home stuff is way more shared with me and DH which I think helps immensely! Although I think what makes me feel busy is that I oversee everything so I make all the logistical arrangements for daycare, babysitting, pick ups and drops offs, I find that exhausting. DH waits to be told/asked to do a pick up etc...

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Do you think you are busier than your mum was?

Yes for sure, I volunteer as a scout leader, I work and I have two kids during the week, three on weekends, there was a massive gap between me and my older siblings and my grandparents mostly raised them. I am always running around from place to place trying to keep people happy. My mum wasn't a great mum, not her fault entirely but she just wasn't. I also think we have a lot more pressure these days to have everything together and perfect thanks to social media and mum guilt everywhere.
    Last edited by PipersMummy; 16-12-2015 at 06:46.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    No my mum had her own business at home (picture framing) she did 12 hour days etc my dad worked the same. I was a only child until I was older. I have no idea how she did it! She would also cook ride her bike into town to get fruit and veg :/ lol I look at her and I'm like wtf HAHHA!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'm not sure. I was an only child and by all accounts a very easy child, until I was almost 7. Mum went back to work PT when I was 2 then was a SAHM for a few years when my brother was born. She probably had way less downtime as she had less family support. She certainly had it harder though, we weren't very well off so my parents counted every dollar, and my brother had a very serious illness when he was 4 that could have been fatal. He is 30 and still suffers from the effects and needs a certain level of supervision from my mum and always will. So busier, I don't know. But definitely harder. Her life before kids was awful in ways I can't even begin to imagine so overall I'd say I'm a thousand times better off and have it a hell of a lot easier in life in general then she ever did.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My mum was definitely busier. I look back and have no idea how she managed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Well I am more traditionally minded than my mum. I'm a full time SAHM, homeschoool my kids, cook all meals from scratch each day, don't outsource anything really. Whereas my mum was more modern with daycare, school then work. Was she busier? I've always thought that working mums have the most to juggle, with every minute of your day very full of outside work, then house and child management as soon as you are home so, maybe she was busier. On the other hand, children have now taken a front seat in terms of investments, of time and activities and entertainment. When I was growing up, in the 80's, doing an extra curricular activity was unusual. Now it pretty much seems the norm, and that uses a lot of parent's time & energy. Maybe it would all even out.