Closed Thread
Page 27 of 173 FirstFirst ... 1725262728293777127 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gagingi View Post
    Hi Girls, I'm wondering if I can ask for your thoughts? I, like many of us I think, have put on weight (15kg) with IVF and of course this is not helpful to fertility. I eat super healthy (except for rare occasions like last night's BFN pizza and wine), but weight keeps creeping on. I'm wondering about asking Wazza if Duromine might be a good way to get rid of a couple of kgs before starting the next cycle at the end of Jan. When we first saw Wazza he said it would be good if I could loose a kg/month, but he wasn't too worried about my weight - then with his magical pharmacy I put on 3 kg that next week . My GP has said IVF = weight gain for most of us, so don't beat myself up about it. 40 also seems to have re-jigged my metabolism in a bad way. GP suggested Optifast can work (for non-IVF weight loss), but again that is calorie restriction/low nutrition. Any thoughts, experiences, or words of wisdom?
    I went dairy & gluten free, due to naturopaths instruction, and not only did I lose 7kg but my egg haul doubled.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Petal40 For This Useful Post:

BlondeinBrisvegas  (20-12-2015),Blossom74  (20-12-2015),Chiefsgirl  (20-12-2015),Corbes  (21-12-2015),Summer  (21-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 20/8/15100 Posts in a week - week ended 13/8/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 6/8/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 30/7/15
    Quote Originally Posted by Blossom74 View Post
    I have decided, should I be so lucky as to be able to retrieve and fertilise any eggs this time round, that I will not be PGD testing.

I know it's potentially wasting money implanting embies that may not make it, but I can't bare the thought of not giving each one a chance, or of losing embies along the way.

Is that weird? I'd just rather go through the last cycle with no 'what if's.' It's only money, right?

Blossom
    Fair enough Luv, but I'd be pushing your FS to let you do a DET (double embryo transfer) instead if you have at least 2 embryo's on the go by transfer day especially if one or more isn't of a good enough quality to freeze.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to BlondeinBrisvegas For This Useful Post:

Blossom74  (20-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 20/8/15100 Posts in a week - week ended 13/8/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 6/8/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 30/7/15
    Quote Originally Posted by Bongley View Post
    12DPO on tuesday it'd have to be lighter by then if it was just the HCG booster shot from last wed
    Yep...agree Luv

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlondeinBrisvegas For This Useful Post:

Blossom74  (20-12-2015),Bongley  (20-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Hi Girls, I'm wondering if I can ask for your thoughts? I, like many of us I think, have put on weight (15kg) with IVF and of course this is not helpful to fertility. I eat super healthy (except for rare occasions like last night's BFN pizza and wine), but weight keeps creeping on. I'm wondering about asking Wazza if Duromine might be a good way to get rid of a couple of kgs before starting the next cycle at the end of Jan. When we first saw Wazza he said it would be good if I could loose a kg/month, but he wasn't too worried about my weight - then with his magical pharmacy I put on 3 kg that next week . My GP has said IVF = weight gain for most of us, so don't beat myself up about it. 40 also seems to have re-jigged my metabolism in a bad way. GP suggested Optifast can work (for non-IVF weight loss), but again that is calorie restriction/low nutrition. Any thoughts, experiences, or words of wisdom?
    Stupid bloody stim drugs and prednisone are mainly to blame for the weight gain Luv I reckon!!

Duromine will in effect do the same thing as using VLCD shakes like Optifast as you'll be eating less, thus restricting your calories anyway. As such, I don't think Duromine would adversley affect your egg quality/numbers but Wazza will know about that or if it's contraindicated with any of the other pharmacy of supplements etc he's got you on

I understand you wanting to shift some of the weight Luv, so maybe the Metformin could be a go-er??? Could perhaps try some Xenical too providing there's no contraindication. At least you don't need a prescription for that!!!

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BlondeinBrisvegas For This Useful Post:

Blossom74  (20-12-2015),Bongley  (20-12-2015),Gagingi  (20-12-2015),Summer  (21-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    @Blossom is there a risk that if 2 implant and only one is normal, then the non-normal could put the healthy fetus at risk? Plus the potential trauma of downs etc. My other fear is that a miscarriage takes months away from trying again, although if this really is your last cycle then that doesn't apply... Then the cost of PGD testing (at QFG at least) is actually not much shy of the out-of-pocket for a stim cycle. It's a hard decision.

My FS will not transfer two at a time - they will be single transfers. So my intention would be that anything that develops to Day 5 (no matter the grading) would be frozen and transferred in a single transfer without any testing being done.

Blossom

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Blossom74 For This Useful Post:

BlondeinBrisvegas  (20-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BlondeinBrisvegas View Post
    Fair enough Luv, but I'd be pushing your FS to let you do a DET (double embryo transfer) instead if you have at least 2 embryo's on the go by transfer day especially if one or more isn't of a good enough quality to freeze.

I have requested and been refused a double transfer @BIB. Not sure why but at the end of the day my FS must have his reasons and I guess I have to deal with that. We will be doing a fresh transfer of course (), and any embies that make it to Day 5 would be frozen. But the ones not of good enough quality to freeze would probably perish. That makes me sad and whilst I could probably talk my FS into a double transfer that brings with it the risk of twins. Not to sound ungrateful but two for the price of one was not in our game plan! No, my point is more that the Day 5 frosties would not be tested prior to being frozen, and once transferred their survival would be in the lap of the Gods. I think I prefer that to testing and just destroying the whole lot if they don't pass muster.

Blossom

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Blossom74 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    My FS will not transfer two at a time - they will be single transfers. So my intention would be that anything that develops to Day 5 (no matter the grading) would be frozen and transferred in a single transfer without any testing being done.

Blossom
    They have to be of the highest Grading to be frozen Luv, if not they'll be left to succumb in the dish and discarded which is why I suggested the double transfer as just because they're not good enough to freeze doesn't mean they're not good enough to give you a BFFP.

The risk of twins at our age using our own eggs are negligible and I have to be honest and say that any FS or Clinic that don't allow women who are over 40 to have a double transfer with untested embryo's if requested are only interested in revenue raising IMO.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BlondeinBrisvegas For This Useful Post:

faithandhopellove  (20-12-2015),Gagingi  (20-12-2015),Summer  (21-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have requested and been refused a double transfer
    @Blossom74 our FS#1 refused a double for me under any circumstances (mind you given the protocol he used the chances of us having even one decent embie was bugger all). FS#2 on the other hand decided that 3 with OE is clinically indicated for us (5dt) - if they were available. At our age the chances of our own eggs implanting are so slim, I think one is overly conservative, or worse revenue raising.

I thought at 40+ with OE and multiple attempts you actually can demand up to 3? The FS can then refuse to be your Ob/Gyn (but who cares you're pregnant!!!) and chances are you'll only end up with a singleton anyway. If you want to transfer more than one I'd lobby your FS and take in some stats. From memory a DET, with eggs from women under 35 or PGD normals*, increases the chance of pregnancy by 5% and chance of multiples by 50%, but that 50% is off such a slim base - it's a handful of pregnancies. When PDG normals fail and good graded embies turn out to be abnormal, we know the reality of the odds.

https://www.asrm.org/uploadedFiles/A...yos%281%29.pdf
    Last edited by Gagingi; 21-12-2015 at 00:12. Reason: * clarify stats

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Gagingi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Agree completely with @Gagingi and @BlondeinBrisvegas - the chances of both sticking is low but then again, I know exactly what you mean about twins not being in the game plan. I thought generally over 40's were given two for transfer if they wanted.

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JulieMalooley For This Useful Post:

BlondeinBrisvegas  (20-12-2015),Blossom74  (21-12-2015),Gagingi  (20-12-2015),Summer  (21-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Bongley View Post
    @Gagingi do you have polycystic ovaries? My doc put me on metformin as it helps fertility and it also knocks the edge of your appetite. It's helped me lose a few kilos.
    I do have PCOS and have been on 2000mg metformin for 2 1/2 months, but have also done back-to-back cycles. I don't actually eat a lot and it's generally very healthy. I've also been on 25-50mg prednisone most of that time and have a moon face since going onto the 50mg pred. I also have noticed that since I went off the pill a few years ago that I've had to be much more careful with my weight - I think the pill helped and that is one of the reasons my PCOS took so long to be diagnosed as I don't have the "typical" presentation apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by Petal40 View Post
    I went dairy & gluten free, due to naturopaths instruction, and not only did I lose 7kg but my egg haul doubled.
    As a rule I don't eat carbs, except for a punnet of blueberries every day or two. No bread, flour, sugar, sweets etc. I do eat dairy... During this last cycle TWT I did eat some toast as I had no appetite and thought I should eat something, but usually I'm a protein and vege girl.

Quote Originally Posted by BlondeinBrisvegas View Post
    Stupid bloody stim drugs and prednisone are mainly to blame for the weight gain Luv I reckon!!

Duromine will in effect do the same thing as using VLCD shakes like Optifast as you'll be eating less, thus restricting your calories anyway. As such, I don't think Duromine would adversley affect your egg quality/numbers but Wazza will know about that or if it's contraindicated with any of the other pharmacy of supplements etc he's got you on

I understand you wanting to shift some of the weight Luv, so maybe the Metformin could be a go-er??? Could perhaps try some Xenical too providing there's no contraindication. At least you don't need a prescription for that!!!
    Hehe I tried Xenical in my 20s (I'd be so happy to be that weight again!) and it's side effects make it a definite never again for me!

Whilst Duromine is calorie restricting, I feel that at least you eat real food, whereas with the shakes they are so full of chemicals that that doesn't seem good for little eggies. I'll ask Wazza's office.
    Last edited by Gagingi; 20-12-2015 at 18:06.

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Gagingi For This Useful Post:

BlondeinBrisvegas  (20-12-2015),Blossom74  (21-12-2015),Chiefsgirl  (20-12-2015),Summer  (21-12-2015)