Closed Thread
Page 26 of 161 FirstFirst ... 1624252627283676126 ... LastLast
Results 251 to 260 of 1601
  1. #251
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Avalon, NSW
    Posts
    913
    Thanks
    8,828
    Thanked
    3,770
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    One of my bubs was a morula that I was told wouldn't make it to freeze. I thought it deserved a chance and they agreed to transfer 2 (I am guessing they agreed because they thought it had no chance). Both my clinics wouldn't freeze morulas. Shame. It seems like they might actually be the normal ones.

    The interesting thing about slow embies is back when it was legal the 'cure' was to transfer some mitochnodria from another womans egg. Now if the eggs were failing to progress because they were chromosomally abnormal then producing embies from them would be disastrous. That's not what happened though. There were higher rates of Turners syndrome that the norm but not as high as what you would expect. So obviously not all slow eggs are slow because of chromome 'mistakes'. They just lack energy.
    You may have read that the UK legalised this procedure earlier this year... but only for those women who have mitochnodrial disease.

  2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to faithandhopellove For This Useful Post:

    BlondeinBrisvegas  (20-12-2015),Blossom74  (20-12-2015),Chiefsgirl  (20-12-2015),Gagingi  (20-12-2015),princessrory  (20-12-2015),winsor  (20-12-2015)

  3. #252
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    861
    Thanks
    2,945
    Thanked
    2,959
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi Girls, I'm wondering if I can ask for your thoughts? I, like many of us I think, have put on weight (15kg) with IVF and of course this is not helpful to fertility. I eat super healthy (except for rare occasions like last night's BFN pizza and wine), but weight keeps creeping on. I'm wondering about asking Wazza if Duromine might be a good way to get rid of a couple of kgs before starting the next cycle at the end of Jan. When we first saw Wazza he said it would be good if I could loose a kg/month, but he wasn't too worried about my weight - then with his magical pharmacy I put on 3 kg that next week . My GP has said IVF = weight gain for most of us, so don't beat myself up about it. 40 also seems to have re-jigged my metabolism in a bad way. GP suggested Optifast can work (for non-IVF weight loss), but again that is calorie restriction/low nutrition. Any thoughts, experiences, or words of wisdom?

  4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gagingi For This Useful Post:

    BlondeinBrisvegas  (20-12-2015),Blossom74  (20-12-2015),Summer  (21-12-2015)

  5. #253
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    861
    Thanks
    2,945
    Thanked
    2,959
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by faithandhopellove View Post
    One of my bubs was a morula that I was told wouldn't make it to freeze. I thought it deserved a chance and they agreed to transfer 2 (I am guessing they agreed because they thought it had no chance). Both my clinics wouldn't freeze morulas. Shame. It seems like they might actually be the normal ones.

    The interesting thing about slow embies is back when it was legal the 'cure' was to transfer some mitochnodria from another womans egg. Now if the eggs were failing to progress because they were chromosomally abnormal then producing embies from them would be disastrous. That's not what happened though. There were higher rates of Turners syndrome that the norm but not as high as what you would expect. So obviously not all slow eggs are slow because of chromome 'mistakes'. They just lack energy.
    You may have read that the UK legalised this procedure earlier this year... but only for those women who have mitochnodrial disease.
    FS#2 mentioned this yesterday. Apparently it was done in Australia with a few women about 15 years ago, but then rat studies identified some significant issues - although there was a healthy live human birth. Then there was an overseas FS claiming great success with it, who was due to present at a conference on it, but didn't show up and then disappeared off the IVF scene. Now good old ethics makes it too hard/slow for such things...

    I think unfortunately (for us) that within our lifetimes there will be advances in IVF that would have made it much easier/possible for us all to have the families we want, but it might be too late for us. Maybe rather than bequeathing our estate to my niece and nephew (little that it will be post IVF!) we should put it into fertility research.
    Last edited by Gagingi; 20-12-2015 at 15:02.

  6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Gagingi For This Useful Post:

    BlondeinBrisvegas  (20-12-2015),Blossom74  (20-12-2015),faithandhopellove  (20-12-2015),princessrory  (20-12-2015)

  7. #254
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    3,321
    Thanks
    5,144
    Thanked
    7,771
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    @Gagingi do you have polycystic ovaries? My doc put me on metformin as it helps fertility and it also knocks the edge of your appetite. It's helped me lose a few kilos.

  8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bongley For This Useful Post:

    BlondeinBrisvegas  (20-12-2015),Blossom74  (20-12-2015),Chiefsgirl  (20-12-2015)

  9. #255
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    608
    Thanks
    1,778
    Thanked
    1,488
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gagingi View Post
    Hi Girls, I'm wondering if I can ask for your thoughts? I, like many of us I think, have put on weight (15kg) with IVF and of course this is not helpful to fertility. I eat super healthy (except for rare occasions like last night's BFN pizza and wine), but weight keeps creeping on. I'm wondering about asking Wazza if Duromine might be a good way to get rid of a couple of kgs before starting the next cycle at the end of Jan. When we first saw Wazza he said it would be good if I could loose a kg/month, but he wasn't too worried about my weight - then with his magical pharmacy I put on 3 kg that next week . My GP has said IVF = weight gain for most of us, so don't beat myself up about it. 40 also seems to have re-jigged my metabolism in a bad way. GP suggested Optifast can work (for non-IVF weight loss), but again that is calorie restriction/low nutrition. Any thoughts, experiences, or words of wisdom?
    I went dairy & gluten free, due to naturopaths instruction, and not only did I lose 7kg but my egg haul doubled.

  10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Petal40 For This Useful Post:

    BlondeinBrisvegas  (20-12-2015),Blossom74  (20-12-2015),Chiefsgirl  (20-12-2015),Corbes  (21-12-2015),Summer  (21-12-2015)

  11. #256
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    8,838
    Thanks
    35,879
    Thanked
    20,105
    Reviews
    7
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 20/8/15100 Posts in a week - week ended 13/8/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 6/8/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 30/7/15
    Quote Originally Posted by Blossom74 View Post
    I have decided, should I be so lucky as to be able to retrieve and fertilise any eggs this time round, that I will not be PGD testing.

    I know it's potentially wasting money implanting embies that may not make it, but I can't bare the thought of not giving each one a chance, or of losing embies along the way.

    Is that weird? I'd just rather go through the last cycle with no 'what if's.' It's only money, right?


    Blossom
    Fair enough Luv, but I'd be pushing your FS to let you do a DET (double embryo transfer) instead if you have at least 2 embryo's on the go by transfer day especially if one or more isn't of a good enough quality to freeze.

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to BlondeinBrisvegas For This Useful Post:

    Blossom74  (20-12-2015)

  13. #257
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    8,838
    Thanks
    35,879
    Thanked
    20,105
    Reviews
    7
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 20/8/15100 Posts in a week - week ended 13/8/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 6/8/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 30/7/15
    Quote Originally Posted by Bongley View Post
    12DPO on tuesday it'd have to be lighter by then if it was just the HCG booster shot from last wed
    Yep...agree Luv

  14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlondeinBrisvegas For This Useful Post:

    Blossom74  (20-12-2015),Bongley  (20-12-2015)

  15. #258
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    8,838
    Thanks
    35,879
    Thanked
    20,105
    Reviews
    7
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 20/8/15100 Posts in a week - week ended 13/8/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 6/8/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 30/7/15
    Quote Originally Posted by Gagingi View Post
    Hi Girls, I'm wondering if I can ask for your thoughts? I, like many of us I think, have put on weight (15kg) with IVF and of course this is not helpful to fertility. I eat super healthy (except for rare occasions like last night's BFN pizza and wine), but weight keeps creeping on. I'm wondering about asking Wazza if Duromine might be a good way to get rid of a couple of kgs before starting the next cycle at the end of Jan. When we first saw Wazza he said it would be good if I could loose a kg/month, but he wasn't too worried about my weight - then with his magical pharmacy I put on 3 kg that next week . My GP has said IVF = weight gain for most of us, so don't beat myself up about it. 40 also seems to have re-jigged my metabolism in a bad way. GP suggested Optifast can work (for non-IVF weight loss), but again that is calorie restriction/low nutrition. Any thoughts, experiences, or words of wisdom?
    Stupid bloody stim drugs and prednisone are mainly to blame for the weight gain Luv I reckon!!

    Duromine will in effect do the same thing as using VLCD shakes like Optifast as you'll be eating less, thus restricting your calories anyway. As such, I don't think Duromine would adversley affect your egg quality/numbers but Wazza will know about that or if it's contraindicated with any of the other pharmacy of supplements etc he's got you on

    I understand you wanting to shift some of the weight Luv, so maybe the Metformin could be a go-er??? Could perhaps try some Xenical too providing there's no contraindication. At least you don't need a prescription for that!!!

  16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BlondeinBrisvegas For This Useful Post:

    Blossom74  (20-12-2015),Bongley  (20-12-2015),Gagingi  (20-12-2015),Summer  (21-12-2015)

  17. #259
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    3,583
    Thanks
    28,166
    Thanked
    14,012
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gagingi View Post
    @Blossom is there a risk that if 2 implant and only one is normal, then the non-normal could put the healthy fetus at risk? Plus the potential trauma of downs etc. My other fear is that a miscarriage takes months away from trying again, although if this really is your last cycle then that doesn't apply... Then the cost of PGD testing (at QFG at least) is actually not much shy of the out-of-pocket for a stim cycle. It's a hard decision.

    My FS will not transfer two at a time - they will be single transfers. So my intention would be that anything that develops to Day 5 (no matter the grading) would be frozen and transferred in a single transfer without any testing being done.

    Blossom

  18. The Following User Says Thank You to Blossom74 For This Useful Post:

    BlondeinBrisvegas  (20-12-2015)

  19. #260
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    3,583
    Thanks
    28,166
    Thanked
    14,012
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BlondeinBrisvegas View Post
    Fair enough Luv, but I'd be pushing your FS to let you do a DET (double embryo transfer) instead if you have at least 2 embryo's on the go by transfer day especially if one or more isn't of a good enough quality to freeze.

    I have requested and been refused a double transfer @BIB. Not sure why but at the end of the day my FS must have his reasons and I guess I have to deal with that. We will be doing a fresh transfer of course (), and any embies that make it to Day 5 would be frozen. But the ones not of good enough quality to freeze would probably perish. That makes me sad and whilst I could probably talk my FS into a double transfer that brings with it the risk of twins. Not to sound ungrateful but two for the price of one was not in our game plan! No, my point is more that the Day 5 frosties would not be tested prior to being frozen, and once transferred their survival would be in the lap of the Gods. I think I prefer that to testing and just destroying the whole lot if they don't pass muster.


    Blossom

  20. The Following User Says Thank You to Blossom74 For This Useful Post:

    BlondeinBrisvegas  (20-12-2015)


 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
sales & new stuffsee all
The Little Gym Bella Vista
Get ready for some serious, fun gymnastics! The Little Gym Bella Vista
The world’s premier experiential learning and physical development center for children ages 4 months - 12 years. Create opportunities for your child to try new things and build self-confidence, all with a grin that stretches from ear to ear
featured supporter
Melbourne Natural Medicine Clinic
Leading natural health practitioners in fertility, preconception, pregnancy, and children's health. We take an integrative approach all health professionals and offer diagnostic testing and natural treatment options suitable for the whole family.
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!